How to take advantage of SimpleMorphic

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi juan

I'm not sure that this is possible to port all the changes of Morphic/Polymorph on top of SimpleMorphic.
So I have questions:
        - what would be a process?
        - should we compare classes by classes (starting with which ones) and migrate the code in Morphic
        or doing the inverse?
What could a migration plan?

I have the impression that since SimpleMorphic is simpler I would
        - start to remove the stuff we already fixed from SimpleMorphic
        - start to migrate some widgets to SimpleMorphic

Re: How to take advantage of SimpleMorphic

Stéphane Ducasse
I started to look inside SimpleMorphic to find a path to make progress and this is not clear to me.
For example if I want to remove PopUpMenu and the rest I would have to rely on UITheme or something like that
and the problem is that UITheme so far does not work for SimpleMorphic.
So I could
        - do not think to remove PopUp right now
        or
        - start building a SimpleMorphic Theme which returns SM objects.

Now the migration path is still not clear to me.

Re: How to take advantage of SimpleMorphic

Now I'm also thinking that we should have a converging approach by also fixing Morphic so I will start reading both code.

Stef

> I'm not sure that this is possible to port all the changes of Morphic/Polymorph on top of SimpleMorphic.
> So I have questions:
> - what would be a process?
> - should we compare classes by classes (starting with which ones) and migrate the code in Morphic
> or doing the inverse?
> What could a migration plan?
>
> I have the impression that since SimpleMorphic is simpler I would
> - start to remove the stuff we already fixed from SimpleMorphic
> - start to migrate some widgets to SimpleMorphic
>

> Stef

Re: How to take advantage of SimpleMorphic

Juan Vuletich-4
Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
> I started to look inside SimpleMorphic to find a path to make progress and this is not clear to me.
> For example if I want to remove PopUpMenu and the rest I would have to rely on UITheme or something like that
> and the problem is that UITheme so far does not work for SimpleMorphic.
> So I could
> - do not think to remove PopUp right now
> or
> - start building a SimpleMorphic Theme which returns SM objects.

Returning SM objects sounds reasonable to me.

> Now the migration path is still not clear to me.
>
> Stef

Neither to me. It requires a deep knowledge of the changes done in
Pharo, and the reasons behind them. I lack all this.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich