How to tell web browser not to cache

Louis LaBrunda
Hi,

I would like to tell the web browser not to cache my Seaside generated
pages.  I think I can do this with the #doNotCache message but I'm not sure
where and to what to send it.  Thanks is advance.

Lou

Re: How to tell web browser not to cache

Ramon Leon-5
Louis LaBrunda wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to tell the web browser not to cache my Seaside generated
> pages.  I think I can do this with the #doNotCache message but I'm not sure
> where and to what to send it.  Thanks is advance.
>
> Lou

Seaside already does that, all pages are non-cachable by default.  Look
for the senders of #doNotCache and you'll see where Seaside does it.

--
Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: How to tell web browser not to cache

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Ramon,

Thanks for the reply.

>Louis LaBrunda wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to tell the web browser not to cache my Seaside generated
>> pages.  I think I can do this with the #doNotCache message but I'm not sure
>> where and to what to send it.  Thanks is advance.
>>
>> Lou
>
>Seaside already does that, all pages are non-cachable by default.  Look
>for the senders of #doNotCache and you'll see where Seaside does it.

I am working with the new VA Smalltalk implementation of Seaside and I have
the Squeak 2.8 version that I use to see how things work in that version.
When I look at the generated HTML source from either version, I don't see
any of the HTML that the #doNotCache message seems to be generating.  Also,
it seems like pages are being cached by the web browser.

Am I doing something wrong?  Have things changed?  Is there a setting I
should be using?  Thanks again!

Lou

Re: How to tell web browser not to cache

jtuchel
Lou,

> I am working with the new VA Smalltalk implementation of Seaside and I have
> the Squeak 2.8 version that I use to see how things work in that version.
> When I look at the generated HTML source from either version, I don't see
> any of the HTML that the #doNotCache message seems to be generating.  Also,

cache-directives are part of the HTTP headers, not patr of the visible html. So
if you wanted to look at these you'd have to use firebug or an http "sniffer"...

> it seems like pages are being cached by the web browser.

the sad thing is, the directives in the http headers do not guarantuee that your
browser doesn't cache. It's just that you tell it you'd like it not to.

Just my 2 cents

Joachim

Re: Re: How to tell web browser not to cache

Ramon Leon-5
> >Seaside already does that, all pages are non-cachable by default.  Look
> >for the senders of #doNotCache and you'll see where Seaside does it.
>
> I am working with the new VA Smalltalk implementation of Seaside and I have
> the Squeak 2.8 version that I use to see how things work in that version.
> When I look at the generated HTML source from either version, I don't see
> any of the HTML that the #doNotCache message seems to be generating.  Also,
> it seems like pages are being cached by the web browser.
>
> Am I doing something wrong?  Have things changed?  Is there a setting I
> should be using?  Thanks again!
>
> Lou

It doesn't generate any HTML, it sets 3 HTTP headers on the response,
use something like firebug to see them.  You'll see something like
this...

Expires Wed, 11 Jun 1980 12:00:00 GMT
Pragma no-cache
Cache-Control no-cache, must-revalidate

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: How to tell web browser not to cache

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Joachim and Ramon,

Thank you both for this answer and the firebug hint.

>cache-directives are part of the HTTP headers, not part of the visible html. So
>if you wanted to look at these you'd have to use firebug or an http "sniffer"...

>> it seems like pages are being cached by the web browser.

>the sad thing is, the directives in the http headers do not guarantuee that your
>browser doesn't cache. It's just that you tell it you'd like it not to.

Good to know.  My application can of course handle a cached page coming in
out of order (at an unexpected point) but the user may have entered a lot
of data (that can't be safely used at that point) and not be happy at
losing the effort.  Preventing the web browser from caching the page would
protect the user from this problem.

Thanks again, Lou