How to up a Windows user's privileges?

Louis LaBrunda

Hi All,

I have some Windows GUI programs that need to write into a folder that the user may not have the required privileges to write to.  I think there is a way to ask Windows, with a prompt to the user, to up the privileges to allow the write of a file to the folder.  I will do some research on this but maybe someone here has already done this and can save me some time.

Thanks, Lou

Re: How to up a Windows user's privileges?

Richard Sargent
Administrator
On Friday, June 5, 2015 at 8:49:13 AM UTC-7, Louis LaBrunda wrote:

Hi All,

I have some Windows GUI programs that need to write into a folder that the user may not have the required privileges to write to.  I think there is a way to ask Windows, with a prompt to the user, to up the privileges to allow the write of a file to the folder.  I will do some research on this but maybe someone here has already done this and can save me some time.

If a specific user has need to write to a specific folder, adjust the security settings for that folder to permit the user to write.

Thanks, Lou

Re: How to up a Windows user's privileges?

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Richard,

Thanks for the suggestion but those kinds of changes are out of my hands and tech support can change things at any time.

I would like to use some call to windows, get the user to okay the change in privileges to save the file and be done.

Lou

On Friday, June 5, 2015 at 9:19:36 AM UTC-7, Louis LaBrunda wrote:
Hi Richard,

Thanks for the suggestion but those kinds of changes are out of my hands and tech support can change things at any time.

I would like to use some call to windows, get the user to okay the change in privileges to save the file and be done.

It appears this is not possible as stated. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/573086/how-to-elevate-privileges-only-when-required
However, there is no particular reason you cannot write the file in one place and copy it to another (using XCOPY, for example, with elevated privileges).

Lou

On Friday, June 5, 2015 at 12:07:54 PM UTC-4, Richard Sargent wrote:
On Friday, June 5, 2015 at 8:49:13 AM UTC-7, Louis LaBrunda wrote:

Hi All,

I have some Windows GUI programs that need to write into a folder that the user may not have the required privileges to write to.  I think there is a way to ask Windows, with a prompt to the user, to up the privileges to allow the write of a file to the folder.  I will do some research on this but maybe someone here has already done this and can save me some time.

If a specific user has need to write to a specific folder, adjust the security settings for that folder to permit the user to write.

Thanks, Lou

Re: How to up a Windows user's privileges?

Louis LaBrunda
Thanks Richard.  I wanted to avoid thinks like XCOPY but I will look into it.

Lou

It appears this is not possible as stated. <a href="http://stackoverflow.com/questions/573086/how-to-elevate-privileges-only-when-required" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fstackoverflow.com%2Fquestions%2F573086%2Fhow-to-elevate-privileges-only-when-required\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNHhIPR40k5ga3Tkk_txey2WmIWx4Q';return true;" onclick="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fstackoverflow.com%2Fquestions%2F573086%2Fhow-to-elevate-privileges-only-when-required\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNHhIPR40k5ga3Tkk_txey2WmIWx4Q';return true;">http://stackoverflow.com/questions/573086/how-to-elevate-privileges-only-when-required

On Friday, June 5, 2015 at 9:41:08 AM UTC-7, Louis LaBrunda wrote:
Thanks Richard.  I wanted to avoid thinks like XCOPY but I will look into it.

The bottom line appears to be that a program must be started with the privileges it needs.

So you either start you application with that privilege or you spawn another program with what it needs.

It appears this is not possible as stated. <a href="http://stackoverflow.com/questions/573086/how-to-elevate-privileges-only-when-required" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fstackoverflow.com%2Fquestions%2F573086%2Fhow-to-elevate-privileges-only-when-required\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNHhIPR40k5ga3Tkk_txey2WmIWx4Q';return true;" onclick="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fstackoverflow.com%2Fquestions%2F573086%2Fhow-to-elevate-privileges-only-when-required\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNHhIPR40k5ga3Tkk_txey2WmIWx4Q';return true;">http://stackoverflow.com/questions/573086/how-to-elevate-privileges-only-when-required
[...]

Julian-2
Richard, you are of course correct...we must start the application with the required privileges.
But I have a similar issue to solve as Louis.  One thought I had, was to determine if the program
had been started with administrator privileges (ie. Run as Administrator) or not.  If not, the user could
then be prompted to restart the program with the correct rights.

Do you happen to know if there is a means by which we can determine if our program has the required
privileges?  Perhaps a Windows API call?

Regards,
Julian Ford

It appears this is not possible as stated. <a href="http://stackoverflow.com/questions/573086/how-to-elevate-privileges-only-when-required" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fstackoverflow.com%2Fquestions%2F573086%2Fhow-to-elevate-privileges-only-when-required\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNHhIPR40k5ga3Tkk_txey2WmIWx4Q&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fstackoverflow.com%2Fquestions%2F573086%2Fhow-to-elevate-privileges-only-when-required\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNHhIPR40k5ga3Tkk_txey2WmIWx4Q&#39;;return true;">http://stackoverflow.com/questions/573086/how-to-elevate-privileges-only-when-required

On Jul 23, 2015 8:15 PM, "Julian" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Richard, you are of course correct...we must start the application with the required privileges.
> But I have a similar issue to solve as Louis.  One thought I had, was to determine if the program
> had been started with administrator privileges (ie. Run as Administrator) or not.  If not, the user could
> then be prompted to restart the program with the correct rights.
>
> Do you happen to know if there is a means by which we can determine if our program has the required
> privileges?  Perhaps a Windows API call?

No idea at all!
I have done my damnedest(?) to avoid knowing to much about Windows.

I suspect (am guessing!) you could try an operation which requires the privilege and catch the error. That is rather clumsy, so I would not be surprised to find there is a better way. Check Stack Overflow, or Google in general.

> Regards,
> Julian Ford
>
> On Friday, June 5, 2015 at 12:48:59 PM UTC-4, Richard Sargent wrote:
>>
>> On Friday, June 5, 2015 at 9:41:08 AM UTC-7, Louis LaBrunda wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks Richard.  I wanted to avoid thinks like XCOPY but I will look into it.
>>

>> The bottom line appears to be that a program must be started with the privileges it needs.
>>
>> So you either start you application with that privilege or you spawn another program with what it needs.
>>

>>> Lou

Re: How to up a Windows user's privileges?

Julian-2
Thanks, Richard.  I appreciate the reply.

I had, of course, thought of that...but was really hoping for something a bit more
elegant.
I will certainly check into Stack Overflow.  Perhaps I can find something there that can then be
ported to VAST.

Thanks again!

Regards,
Julian

On Friday, July 24, 2015 at 1:40:49 AM UTC-4, Richard Sargent wrote:

On Jul 23, 2015 8:15 PM, "Julian" <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">rjf...@...> wrote:

> Richard, you are of course correct...we must start the application with the required privileges.
> But I have a similar issue to solve as Louis.  One thought I had, was to determine if the program
> had been started with administrator privileges (ie. Run as Administrator) or not.  If not, the user could
> then be prompted to restart the program with the correct rights.
>
> Do you happen to know if there is a means by which we can determine if our program has the required
> privileges?  Perhaps a Windows API call?

No idea at all!
I have done my damnedest(?) to avoid knowing to much about Windows.

I suspect (am guessing!) you could try an operation which requires the privilege and catch the error. That is rather clumsy, so I would not be surprised to find there is a better way. Check Stack Overflow, or Google in general.

> Regards,
> Julian Ford
>
> On Friday, June 5, 2015 at 12:48:59 PM UTC-4, Richard Sargent wrote:
>>
>> On Friday, June 5, 2015 at 9:41:08 AM UTC-7, Louis LaBrunda wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks Richard.  I wanted to avoid thinks like XCOPY but I will look into it.
>>

>> The bottom line appears to be that a program must be started with the privileges it needs.
>>
>> So you either start you application with that privilege or you spawn another program with what it needs.
>>

>>> Lou

Re: How to up a Windows user's privileges?

Instantiations mailing list
Hi Julian,

I would start to check out this method

OsCall lookupPrivilegeValue: lpSystemName
    lpName: lpName
    lpLuid: lpLuid

Hope this helps,
Sebastian