How to update currently used VM for PharoLauncher?

How to update currently used VM for PharoLauncher?

Stephan Eggermont-3
I've noticed a few VM updates I want to use with PharoLauncher.
What is the currently recommended way to update my PharoLauncher to use
a non-stable version?

Stephan

Re: How to update currently used VM for PharoLauncher?

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Stephan Eggermont-3 wrote
> way to update my PharoLauncher to use
> a non-stable version?

On the Mac, I delete Launcher's VM for that Pharo image version and let
Launcher DL a new one.

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: How to update currently used VM for PharoLauncher?

demarey
Hi Stefan,

> Le 3 nov. 2017 à 17:23, stephan <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> I've noticed a few VM updates I want to use with PharoLauncher.
> What is the currently recommended way to update my PharoLauncher to use
> a non-stable version?

For now, the way to get a fresh VM for the current development image (i.e. 70) is to delete it from the VM store ($HOME/Documents/Pharo/vms/70 on OS X) and try to run again the image will download the latest stable VM.
If you need another VM, you will have to install it by hand in the same directory. There is currently no option to get an alpha VM. It makes sense only for the development image but it could be a nice option to add to the launcher. Do you think it will be used?

Christophe

Re: How to update currently used VM for PharoLauncher?

Ben Coman

On Sun, Nov 5, 2017 at 3:29 AM, Christophe Demarey <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Stefan,

> Le 3 nov. 2017 à 17:23, stephan <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> I've noticed a few VM updates I want to use with PharoLauncher.
> What is the currently recommended way to update my PharoLauncher to use
> a non-stable version?

For now, the way to get a fresh VM for the current development image (i.e. 70) is to delete it from the VM store ($HOME/Documents/Pharo/vms/70 on OS X) and try to run again the image will download the latest stable VM.
If you need another VM, you will have to install it by hand in the same directory. There is currently no option to get an alpha VM. It makes sense only for the development image but it could be a nice option to add to the launcher. Do you think it will be used?

It would be useful to be able to be explicit about which VM is used to run an image, and the VMs to be selectable.  When someone reports "I've a problem with Image Build X on VM Build Y" this would facilitate others replicating that configuration.

cheers -ben

On 04-11-17 20:29, Christophe Demarey wrote:
> It makes sense only for the development image but it could be a nice
> option to add to the launcher. Do you think it will be used?

I have a personal need for it, but that should of course not be the
determining factor. I see several scenario's for this:

- A 'normal' user notices a problem, that gets fixed in a development
vm. She needs to test and use it, is probably not interested in
following all other new development vms, and ideally should switch as
soon as possible to using a newer stable vm again. Supporting the
automatic switch to a newer stable vm makes sense for us to avoid having
too many new users using the unstable versions. It might be useful to
make that decision for an individual image, when other projects are not
affected by the issue. So here there would be two choices: I want to
download a latest (or version) vm and automatically upgrade to a newer
stable when that arrives, and I want to use that for only this image or
for all fitting images.

- At the moment I'm running into a lot of the current vm issues. I have
some production images that should be using stable, but in my
development I want to just use the latest vm that managed to get green
tests :) Nearly all new versions are improvements, but once in a while
there are changes that need to be reverted. So there I just want to
check before starting an image if there is a new vm I can use, and will
just ignore that once in a while there is a broken one.

Stephan