How to write a little REPL

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi

I'm working on a mini scheme implementation and I would like to add a REPL and
I wonder how I can super easily get a read line.

Re: How to write a little REPL

Holger Freyther

> On 27. Nov 2017, at 05:38, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi

Hey!

> I'm working on a mini scheme implementation and I would like to add a REPL and
> I wonder how I can super easily get a read line.

The easiest might just be to use "rlwrap your-interpreter"? But I think you want to allow multi-line input. So either link libreadline (GPL) or libedit?

holger

Re: How to write a little REPL

Pavel Krivanek-3
Do you want it in the command line or in the Morphic UI?

-- Pavel

Hi

I'm working on a mini scheme implementation and I would like to add a REPL and
I wonder how I can super easily get a read line.

Re: How to write a little REPL

philippeback

On Nov 27, 2017 03:56, "Holger Freyther" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 27. Nov 2017, at 05:38, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi

Hey!

> I'm working on a mini scheme implementation and I would like to add a REPL and
> I wonder how I can super easily get a read line.

The easiest might just be to use "rlwrap your-interpreter"? But I think you want to allow multi-line input. So either link libreadline (GPL) or libedit?

holger

Re: How to write a little REPL

philippeback

On Nov 27, 2017 03:56, "Holger Freyther" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 27. Nov 2017, at 05:38, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi

Hey!

> I'm working on a mini scheme implementation and I would like to add a REPL and
> I wonder how I can super easily get a read line.

The easiest might just be to use "rlwrap your-interpreter"? But I think you want to allow multi-line input. So either link libreadline (GPL) or libedit?

holger

Re: How to write a little REPL

Stephane Ducasse-3
Sorry I wanted to have it in pharo :)

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 3:56 AM, Holger Freyther <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 27. Nov 2017, at 05:38, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>
> Hey!
>

>> I'm working on a mini scheme implementation and I would like to add a REPL and
>> I wonder how I can super easily get a read line.
>
> The easiest might just be to use "rlwrap your-interpreter"? But I think you want to allow multi-line input. So either link libreadline (GPL) or libedit?
>
> holger

Re: How to write a little REPL

alistairgrant
On 28 November 2017 at 08:18, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sorry I wanted to have it in pharo :)

Are you talking about having a terminal inside Pharo?

OSProcess included something like this, i.e. open the window and have
a prompt where you can enter expressions to be evaluated.  It would
also run external processes and capture the output.

Cheers,
Alistair

> On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 3:56 AM, Holger Freyther <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On 27. Nov 2017, at 05:38, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>
>> Hey!
>>

>>> I'm working on a mini scheme implementation and I would like to add a REPL and
>>> I wonder how I can super easily get a read line.
>>
>> The easiest might just be to use "rlwrap your-interpreter"? But I think you want to allow multi-line input. So either link libreadline (GPL) or libedit?
>>
>> holger

Re: How to write a little REPL

Clément Béra
 There is a REPL Image we use for VM debugging. It's a REPL in the command line and in the VM Simulator.

File-in in attachement to load and start the REPL.

--
Clément Béra
Pharo consortium engineer

StartReader.st (258 bytes) Download Attachment
LoadReader.st (1K) Download Attachment

Re: How to write a little REPL

Stephane Ducasse-3
On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 9:35 AM, Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 28 November 2017 at 08:18, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Sorry I wanted to have it in pharo :)
>
> Are you talking about having a terminal inside Pharo?

Yes I'm having fun with a small scheme interpreter and I would like to have repl

> OSProcess included something like this, i.e. open the window and have
> a prompt where you can enter expressions to be evaluated.  It would
> also run external processes and capture the output.
>
> Cheers,
> Alistair

>>> Hey!

>>> The easiest might just be to use "rlwrap your-interpreter"? But I think you want to allow multi-line input. So either link libreadline (GPL) or libedit?
>>>
>>> holger

Re: How to write a little REPL

alistairgrant
On 29 November 2017 at 21:14, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 9:35 AM, Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 28 November 2017 at 08:18, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Sorry I wanted to have it in pharo :)
>>
>> Are you talking about having a terminal inside Pharo?
>
> Yes I'm having fun with a small scheme interpreter and I would like to have repl

OK.  The terminal part is actually CommandShell:

http://www.squeaksource.com/CommandShell.html

At the moment it is tied to OSProcess - which I haven't been able to
get working in Pharo for a while, so it may need to be decoupled.
Also, don't forget that OSProcess and OSSubprocess can't be loaded at
the same time.

Cheers,
Alistair

>> OSProcess included something like this, i.e. open the window and have
>> a prompt where you can enter expressions to be evaluated.  It would
>> also run external processes and capture the output.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alistair

Re: How to write a little REPL

tblanchard
Ian Piumarta wrote an XTerm in Squeak a long time ago.

No idea if it is still viable.