Howto create speciel RB with thee panes?

Howto create speciel RB with thee panes?

Georg Heeg

From the past there are several tools which still use the old browser technology (example GHUndeclaredBrowser).

They all follow the same pattern: There are two lists above and a text editor below. The first (left) list is a list of something and the second list is a list of methods “related to” the selection(s) in the first list.

What I found are prototypes of windows with just the second list and the editor (CodeTool).

Does anybody know of or have a configurable window with these three list or an instruction to create them based upon RB technology?

Georg

Reusing the Refactoring Browser

Stephen Travis Pope

Hello all,

I had a similar problem to Georg's; I wanted to port some old code that subclassed the pre-RB Browser class, and eventually gave up.

Every time I've tried to customize the RB Browser (even like adding a menu item to the class list view), I've been confounded by its complexity and sparse documentation. Has anyone "ported" the old-style browser (or anything like it)?

Do most users like the package/hierarchy selection in the RB browser?
I generally use the FullBrowser just because I like the old system categories (even for my own new code).

stp

--
    Stephen Travis Pope -- Santa Barbara, California, USA

Begin forwarded message:

Re: Reusing the Refactoring Browser

Michael Lucas-Smith

Dealing with the RB certainly isn't easy - but I have managed to make it do some things my way.

The ThreePaneSelectorsBrowser for example is a three-pane beasty tacked in to the RB code base.

TypeLess IRC client manages to add some menu items in to it as well.

I don't really recommend you trying to do this sort of stuff.. it was a complete pain in the butt and won't work if the VW guys decide to change various things about the RB for the next release. (fingers crossed).

As to which browser I use? I do use the RB all the time, with the package/hierarchy switching constantly. I really like it - I found the old browsers to be very 'clunky'. That's one thing to be said about the RB - it works well for the users even if its internals are a mystery.

Cheers,

Michael

Hello all,

I had a similar problem to Georg's; I wanted to port some old code that subclassed the pre-RB Browser class, and eventually gave up.

Every time I've tried to customize the RB Browser (even like adding a menu item to the class list view), I've been confounded by its complexity and sparse documentation. Has anyone "ported" the old-style browser (or anything like it)?

Do most users like the package/hierarchy selection in the RB browser?

I generally use the FullBrowser just because I like the old system categories (even for my own new code).

stp

--

    Stephen Travis Pope -- Santa Barbara, California, USA

    http://create.ucsb.edu/~stp  http://HeavenEverywhere.com  http://FASTLabInc.com

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Georg Heeg" <[hidden email]>

Date: March 15, 2006 8:26:03 AM PST

To: <[hidden email]>

Cc: "'engies'" <[hidden email]>

From the past there are several tools which still use the old browser technology (example GHUndeclaredBrowser).

They all follow the same pattern: There are two lists above and a text editor below. The first (left) list is a list of something and the second list is a list of methods “related to” the selection(s) in the first list.

What I found are prototypes of windows with just the second list and the editor (CodeTool).

Does anybody know of or have a configurable window with these three list or an instruction to create them based upon RB technology?

Georg

Re: Reusing the Refactoring Browser

Alan Knight-2
At 07:08 PM 3/15/2006, Stephen Travis Pope wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I had a similar problem to Georg's; I wanted to port some old code that subclassed the pre-RB Browser class, and eventually gave up.
>
>Every time I've tried to customize the RB Browser (even like adding a menu item to the class list view), I've been confounded by its complexity and sparse documentation. Has anyone "ported" the old-style browser (or anything like it)?

Well, it's certainly not a model of simplicity, but I've not seen many browsers that were.  To add a menu item, just stick something like the following in the method that implements the menu. Any message implemented in MenuAutomaticGenerator will do.

        <menuItem: 'Frobnicate'
                icon: nil
                nameKey: #frobnicate
                enablement: #isClassSelected
                indication: nil
                menu: #(#classMenu)
                position: 999.999>

You would hardly have to port the old-style browser. It's still in the system, because it's still used in a few places, e.g. for Store database browsing. We're working on getting it out, but it's not gone quite yet.

I'm not sure how to do what Georg is asking, but you can certainly reconfigure which of the various panes and tools there are and what order they come in. Looking at how the browser opens in various different modes (e.g. browsing packages vs. browsing a single package) would probably be informative.

>Do most users like the package/hierarchy selection in the RB browser?
>I generally use the FullBrowser just because I like the old system categories (even for my own new code).

I like it a lot. If you really want categories, I think you could just uncomment something somewhere and get it back in the RB.

--
Alan Knight [|], Cincom Smalltalk Development
http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk

"The Static Typing Philosophy: Make it fast. Make it right. Make it run." - Niall Ross

Re: Reusing the Refactoring Browser

Charles A. Monteiro-2
When I try to run the FullSystemBrowser i.e.  FullSystemBrowser
openOnAllNamespaces
I get a MNU due to #emphasizer not being implemented, this is quickly
corrected by providing an implementation that returns ^ Emphasizer new,
which probably should be cached in an instVar but it works ok.

The only reason we have for a Category browser is because we have ported
 from 3.0 code and because one of our developers is used to it.

In general I am pleased with RB, it actually is built with pluggable
extension points. As far as menus there is an RBActionCommandEditor which
allows one to build , install and even save different sets of actions.
RBCommand holds to a list of actions in a class var which are accessible
via #actionNamed:

This in combination with pragma based menu specification allow for the
programmatic building of menus in RB. Check out:
BrowserApplicationModel>>>#buildMenuFrom: aMenu , also:
#createActionMenuItemFrom:

so I will argue that RB was build with pluggability in mind even at the
menu level and not just in the more understood RB tab pluggins. So I'm a
fan but yes zero docs. A couple articles on this would be nice to be
included with the distribution.

-Charles

Charles A. Monteiro

Re: Reusing the Refactoring Browser

Charles A. Monteiro-2
may be a tad of subject but what I really like is the combination of RB
with something like StarBrowser and probably an offshoot of that called
"Intensional", only problem is that StarBrowser has had some minor but
long standing usabililty bugs. It also caused an excessive amount of RB
updates (flickering) which may now be correctable by a goodie that Heeg
has put out that minimizes RB updates.

I have not gotten around to checking this out recently.

Also as far as this:

> To add a menu item, just stick something like the following in the
> method that implements the menu. Any message implemented in
> MenuAutomaticGenerator will do.
>
>         <menuItem: 'Frobnicate'
>                 icon: nil
>                 nameKey: #frobnicate
>                 enablement: #isClassSelected
>                 indication: nil
>                 menu: #(#classMenu)
>                 position: 999.999>

again, see my last post, one should not need to just "stick it" in the
menu method but rather just specify it "normally" as a pragma in the class
in question, probably, BrowserApplicationModel, if I recall, but the
designer's intention I believe is to leverage RBCommands and the tools
such RBActionEditor, so I would suggest checking out what these things do.

-Charles

Charles A. Monteiro

Re: Reusing the Refactoring Browser

Reinout Heeck-2
Charles A. Monteiro wrote:

> In general I am pleased with RB, it actually is built with pluggable
> extension points. As far as menus there is an RBActionCommandEditor
> which allows one to build , install and even save different sets of
> actions. RBCommand holds to a list of actions in a class var which are
> accessible via #actionNamed:
>
> This in combination with pragma based menu specification allow for the
> programmatic building of menus in RB. Check out:
> BrowserApplicationModel>>>#buildMenuFrom: aMenu , also:
> #createActionMenuItemFrom:
>
> so I will argue that RB was build with pluggability in mind even at the
> menu level and not just in the more understood RB tab pluggins. So I'm a
> fan but yes zero docs.

I disagree, I was impressed with the RB when I started working with it
(and as a tool it functions very well for me), however I dislike the
implementation. The object model of the RB is mostly fine however the
method implementations are horrible since they are rife with case
statements. This makes it very hard to add extra cases since we have to
resort to either forking the code or maintaining package overrides which
is *hell* for methods that are packageoverridden by multiple parties.

Another issue is that the RB is written to be cross-platform so the
integration with VW is not 'deep' enough.
- We begot RBParseNodes that are a straight copy of VW's ParseNodes.
- We have RB checking all kinds of parameters where we would be better
off without those checks because VW would give us superior 'correct it'
oprions if the RB would allow the erroneous parameters to reach the VW code.
- We have declarations of menus and actions sitting in a comment instead
of having these decls in pragmas or code that can be introspected upon

I have written in the past that RB-on-VW in its current form is ossified
and will remain so for a long while, ironically holding back tools
advances in my favorite IDE :-(

I think we need a VW-specific rewrite of the RB, using as much of it's
structure as possible but getting rid of unVW-isms, library duplications
and those pesky case statements. We also need to clean up it's UI
repainting algorithms since  the bugger is *slooow* in some situations
due to excessive whole-window repaints.

--
Reinout Heeck
-------------
Idle curiosity is the enemy of a quiet life.

Re: Reusing the Refactoring Browser

Charles A. Monteiro-2
I guess I don't understand what you mean by saying you "disagree" :)

what I said is that it was built to with extension points as oppossed to
what we had before i.e. with the old browsers which was basically just
Smalltalk. The funny thing is that just the fact that they were written in
Smalltalk made them more user extendable than most other IDEs.

Perhaps I should not use the term "extension points" that has an
overloaded meaning or perhaps there is an "exact" meaning in computer
science that I am not aware of. RB was designed so that you could plug in
stuff into it i.e. as oppossed to mucking in your extension. A testament
to this fact is all of the RB related goodies.

Now as far as to the implementation, well I'll defer comment since for
what I have had to do i.e. menus, new tabs extensions its has enough
support for me. I also hate to put more items on Cincom's plate , there
are few items on my list that I would like them to take care of first.

I will agree with this:

> the bugger is *slooow* in some situations due to excessive whole-window
> repaints.

have you checked Heeg's goodie to make this better? I have not yet.

I am also curious about this statement you made:

> - We have declarations of menus and actions sitting in a comment instead
> of having these decls in pragmas or code that can be introspected upon

can you provide me with an example in code which illustrates this. From
what I see, the RB framework uses traditional menu resources, pragmas, and
I believe I saw some programmatic manual menu building, I would be
interested in checking out where they use "comments" to build menus.
ADvance uses that strategy , not for menu building but as a means of
tagging I guess meta info to depict their "subject" components and
relationships. They actually provide a choice of either using the class
comment or a method which returns a literal array spec.

-Charles

Charles A. Monteiro

Charles A. Monteiro wrote:
> I guess I don't understand what you mean by saying you "disagree" :)
>
> what I said is that it was built to with extension points as oppossed to
> what we had before i.e. with the old browsers which was basically just
> Smalltalk. The funny thing is that just the fact that they were written in
> Smalltalk made them more user extendable than most other IDEs.

Right, what I meant is that the RB has only *a couple* of extension points
that are practical to use, despite the object model suggesting that it is
highly pluggable. I often found I need to use packageoverrides when trying to
plug extensions into other places than the common ones (typically new
CodeTools or menu actions).

> have you checked Heeg's goodie to make this better? I have not yet.

No, not yet...

> I am also curious about this statement you made:
> > - We have declarations of menus and actions sitting in a comment instead
> > of having these decls in pragmas or code that can be introspected upon
>
> can you provide me with an example in code which illustrates this.

I looked it up, turns out I was confused with other frameworks (like SmaCC and
the HotDraw tool statemachine editor). Thanks for putting me straight :-/

> From
> what I see, the RB framework uses traditional menu resources, pragmas, and
> I believe I saw some programmatic manual menu building,

For the latter see RBActionEditor and RBCommand class>>actionArray

-

Patch to suppress useless RB updates [was:] Reusing the Refactoring Browser

Georg Heeg
Reinout and Charles, and all others,

No wonder that no one has tried out our RB speedup patch yet. It has not
been made available yet outside of AR 48877. As there has been several
messages in this list about this patch, I have decided to make it available
now. It has not yet been reviewed or even approved.

From the description: "Each RB adds some of its components as dependents of
ChangeSet. So I modified two update: methods to do nothing when a global
information resource tells them to suppress all refreshes. I added control
of this resource to modifySystem:. Upon re-allowing updates all RBs are
refreshed by sending updateNavigator."

As the patch is a very small file (3k) I just attach it to this message.

Georg

AW: Reusing the Refactoring Browser

Georg Heeg
All, who contributed to this thread,

Thank you for the interesting discussions about RB. You motivated me to try
a first cut of some I call GHUndeclaredNavigator. If shall eventually
substitute GHUndeclaredBrowser.

I was successful in combining the selection in the list of Undeclareds with
the methods shown in a MethodListRB. There are two problems:

1. The list of Undeclared and the RB are separate windows (I want them in
one).
2. I did not find a way to auto-select the first entry in the list of
methods shown in the RB.

There is only very few code involved so far (8 KB). Thus I simply attach the
zip file with the code to this message to share ideas. Feel free to play
with or use GHUndeclaredNavigator (no warranty).

Georg

GHUndeclaredNavigator.zip (10K) Download Attachment

Re: Reusing the Refactoring Browser

Charles A. Monteiro-2
> Right, what I meant is that the RB has only *a couple* of extension
> points
> that are practical to use, despite the object model suggesting that it is
> highly pluggable. I often found I need to use packageoverrides when
> trying to
> plug extensions into other places than the common ones (typically new
> CodeTools or menu actions).

true, and I too admit to using package overrides, but I will add thank god
for the "unfinality" of Smalltalk and the fact that in VisualWorks we have
a way, not without its issues, to manage extensions

>> From
>> what I see, the RB framework uses traditional menu resources, pragmas,
>> and
>> I believe I saw some programmatic manual menu building,
>
> For the latter see RBActionEditor and RBCommand class>>actionArray

yes, I had commented on these before

Charles A. Monteiro

Re: Patch to suppress useless RB updates [was:] Reusing the Refactoring Browser

Charles A. Monteiro-2
thank you very much, I could have sworn I read you say that it was part of
your goodies but since I'm still battling some minor issues as far as
porting to 7.4 I did not have a chance to look :)

thanks again, it will be put to good use.

-Charles

Charles A. Monteiro

AW: Reusing the Refactoring Browser

Georg Heeg
Meanwhile I was able to cover the two remaining issues and we have a new
version of GHTools made available under
http://www-koethen.heeg.de/downloads/GHTools06-03-20.zip

Georg