Hudson now Jenkins

Geert Claes
Administrator
Since we are using Hudson I was wondering if anyone has been following Hudson's issues with Oracle at all?

This is how I understand it; the creator of Hudson (Kohsuke Kawaguchi) and founder of infradna.com (which has now joined forces with Cloudbees - offering Hudson support) has had some disagreements with Oracle mainly regarding the ownership of the "Hudson" name.  The Hudson community has recently voted for the project to be renamed to Jenkins, so hudson-labs.org is now jenkins-ci.org

ps. I actually started looking at Hudson because I was baffled at the fact that the success icon is "blue" rather than a more intuitive "green" and hey, there is a plugin for that: http://wiki.hudson-ci.org/display/HUDSON/Green+Balls

Re: Hudson now Jenkins

Marcus Denker-4

On Jan 31, 2011, at 3:04 PM, Geert Claes wrote:

> Since we are using Hudson I was wondering if anyone has been following
> Hudson's issues with Oracle at all?
>
> This is how I understand it; the creator of Hudson (Kohsuke Kawaguchi) and
> founder of infradna.com (which has now joined forces with Cloudbees -
> offering Hudson support) has had some disagreements with Oracle mainly
> regarding the ownership of the "Hudson" name.  The Hudson community has
> recently voted for the project to be renamed to Jenkins, so hudson-labs.org
> is now jenkins-ci.org
>
> ps. I actually started looking at Hudson because I was baffled at the fact
> that the success icon is "blue" rather than a more intuitive "green" and
> hey, there is a plugin for that:
> http://wiki.hudson-ci.org/display/HUDSON/Green+Balls

Yes, but sadly the installed version of hudson is too old for this plugin.
(yes, we need to update. I will ask again)

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: Hudson now Jenkins

Geert Claes
Administrator
Marcus Denker-4 wrote
Yes, but sadly the installed version of hudson is too old for this plugin.
(yes, we need to update. I will ask again)
Might as well go for the new Jenkins one then :)

Re: Hudson now Jenkins

Geert Claes
Administrator
Marcus Denker-4 wrote

Marcus Denker-4 wrote:

> Yes, but sadly the installed version of hudson is too old for this plugin.
> (yes, we need to update. I will ask again)

Re: Hudson now Jenkins

Philippe Marschall-2-3
On 31.01.2011 15:04, Geert Claes wrote:

> Since we are using Hudson I was wondering if anyone has been following
> Hudson's issues with Oracle at all?
>
> This is how I understand it; the creator of Hudson (Kohsuke Kawaguchi) and
> founder of infradna.com (which has now joined forces with Cloudbees -
> offering Hudson support) has had some disagreements with Oracle mainly
> regarding the ownership of the "Hudson" name.  The Hudson community has
> recently voted for the project to be renamed to Jenkins, so hudson-labs.org
> is now jenkins-ci.org
>
> ps. I actually started looking at Hudson because I was baffled at the fact
> that the success icon is "blue" rather than a more intuitive "green" and
> hey, there is a plugin for that:
> http://wiki.hudson-ci.org/display/HUDSON/Green+Balls

My understanding is that blue in Japanse culture has the same meaning as
green in "western" culture.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Hudson now Jenkins

Philippe Marschall-2-3
On 31.01.2011 15:08, Marcus Denker wrote:

> On Jan 31, 2011, at 3:04 PM, Geert Claes wrote:
>

>> Since we are using Hudson I was wondering if anyone has been following
>> Hudson's issues with Oracle at all?
>>
>> This is how I understand it; the creator of Hudson (Kohsuke Kawaguchi) and
>> founder of infradna.com (which has now joined forces with Cloudbees -
>> offering Hudson support) has had some disagreements with Oracle mainly
>> regarding the ownership of the "Hudson" name.  The Hudson community has
>> recently voted for the project to be renamed to Jenkins, so hudson-labs.org
>> is now jenkins-ci.org
>>
>> ps. I actually started looking at Hudson because I was baffled at the fact
>> that the success icon is "blue" rather than a more intuitive "green" and
>> hey, there is a plugin for that:
>> http://wiki.hudson-ci.org/display/HUDSON/Green+Balls
>>
> Yes, but sadly the installed version of hudson is too old for this plugin.
> (yes, we need to update. I will ask again)

Hudson/Jenkins release once a week, pretty amazing.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Hudson now Jenkins

Stéphane Ducasse

> Hudson/Jenkins release once a week, pretty amazing.

Well I'm sure that it makes sense but this is their problem.
For Pharo1.3 we want to be able to release after any green build.
We want to make sure that all the process is fluid so that we do not have any stress about releasing.
Now we will release 2 or 3 times a year maximum.

Re: Hudson now Jenkins

Nicolas Cellier
I think it is intentional strategy for Pharo to temporarily break
things as it is seen as the fastest way to perform large/deep
refactorings.
Squeak strategy is much more conservative, and the process is near
continuous integration... but of course refactorings are more
superficials.
That's the price to pay.

Nicolas

2011/1/31 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

>> Hudson/Jenkins release once a week, pretty amazing.
>
> Well I'm sure that it makes sense but this is their problem.
> For Pharo1.3 we want to be able to release after any green build.
> We want to make sure that all the process is fluid so that we do not have any stress about releasing.
> Now we will release 2 or 3 times a year maximum.
>
> Stef

Re: Hudson now Jenkins

Igor Stasenko
On 31 January 2011 23:04, Nicolas Cellier
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think it is intentional strategy for Pharo to temporarily break
> things as it is seen as the fastest way to perform large/deep
> refactorings.
> Squeak strategy is much more conservative, and the process is near
> continuous integration... but of course refactorings are more
> superficials.
> That's the price to pay.

I like the difference.
Pharo younger so, its not a surprise that its more agile.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.