Hudson server down

jfabry
Hi all,

I am happy to say that I recruited a student to do some work for me on AspectMaps. I am sad to say that I want to tell him that he can get a Pharo+Moose image from http://hudson.moosetechnology.org/ but I cant because 'Service Temporarily Unavailable'. Any chance for pure happyness soon? Thanks in advance!

--
Johan Fabry
[hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry

Re: Hudson server down

Simon Denier-3
Hi Johan

Glad to hear that (I also would be glad to host a video of aspectmaps on the moose website ;))

Did you try to install Moose through Monticello? Is it really slow from Chile right now? It could be faster now with Metacello/Gofer improvement.

An alternative way is to download the one-click beta5. Not the latest release, but recent enough I think.

We never thought of the hudson server as a backup for ready-made moose, but why not. Anyway, the problem with hudson is actually not related to moose or pharo but to java. I don't know when it will be solved.

On 23 mars 2010, at 19:39, Johan Fabry wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am happy to say that I recruited a student to do some work for me on AspectMaps. I am sad to say that I want to tell him that he can get a Pharo+Moose image from http://hudson.moosetechnology.org/ but I cant because 'Service Temporarily Unavailable'. Any chance for pure happyness soon? Thanks in advance!
>
> --
> Johan Fabry
> [hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry
> PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

 Simon

Re: Hudson server down

Alexandre Bergel
Hi Johan,

I am not sure to fully understand. http://hudson.moosetechnology.org
is a server that regularly runs the tests. If you want to have a read
to use image, then http://www.moosetechnology.org/download is probably
a good starting point.
As Simon said, I recommend to always use the last version for
developing.

Cheers,
Alexandre

On 23 Mar 2010, at 14:39, Johan Fabry wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am happy to say that I recruited a student to do some work for me
> on AspectMaps. I am sad to say that I want to tell him that he can
> get a Pharo+Moose image from http://hudson.moosetechnology.org/ but
> I cant because 'Service Temporarily Unavailable'. Any chance for
> pure happyness soon? Thanks in advance!
>
> --
> Johan Fabry
> [hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry
> PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Hudson server down

jfabry

Ah right. I still need to do the big screencast with full explanation of everything. Right now there is a small page online here: http://pleiad.cl/aspectmaps that has a small video (youtube). Maybe the Moose page can refer to that?

> Did you try to install Moose through Monticello? Is it really slow from Chile right now? It could be faster now with Metacello/Gofer improvement.
>
> An alternative way is to download the one-click beta5. Not the latest release, but recent enough I think.
>
> We never thought of the hudson server as a backup for ready-made moose, but why not. Anyway, the problem with hudson is actually not related to moose or pharo but to java. I don't know when it will be solved.

In my experience the monticello way is very slow and an ugly process (copy-paste from moose website and do-it ugh). Why not take advantage of prebuilt images if its there? With hudson I can get the latest version of everything the next day. That one click experience makes me happy ...

There is no 'latest version' image available on http://www.moosetechnology.org/download I only see 4.0 beta 5 there. Monticello does not count, I want a ready to run nightly build image. I got that from hudson without any problems. Now if there is another way to get a nightly build image I would be happy as well ...

--
Johan Fabry
[hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

Re: Hudson server down

Stéphane Ducasse
but johan if you use the nightly build you should complain that there are problems.
Would you use the nightly build of mac os?

I think that in the future there will be probably a server to certify and build images but right now
nightly builds are adventurous.

Stef

> There is no 'latest version' image available on http://www.moosetechnology.org/download I only see 4.0 beta 5 there. Monticello does not count, I want a ready to run nightly build image. I got that from hudson without any problems. Now if there is another way to get a nightly build image I would be happy as well ...
>
> On 23 Mar 2010, at 15:03, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>
>> Hi Johan,
>>
>> I am not sure to fully understand. http://hudson.moosetechnology.org is a server that regularly runs the tests. If you want to have a read to use image, thenhttp://www.moosetechnology.org/download is probably a good starting point.
>> As Simon said, I recommend to always use the last version for developing.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alexandre
>>

> --
> Johan Fabry
> [hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry
> PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

Re: Hudson server down

jfabry

Oh yes I know that nightly builds are dangerous. But what happens if I take the latest Pharo image and then do a Monticello install? The same as a nightly build, no?

Independent from this, I am a developer and pushing others (Alex, Doru, ...) to implement stuff/fix bugs, so I need the latest and greatest. And am prepared to complain when stuff blows up (and I did). When I am developing stuff tightly linked to macos (hopefully never) I will want to do the same ...

On 23 mars 2010, at 20:01, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> but johan if you use the nightly build you should complain that there are problems.
> Would you use the nightly build of mac os?

Well technically I think there is no difference: the test server performs the same procedure that we do to load the latest development version.

> I think that in the future there will be probably a server to certify and build images but right now
> nightly builds are adventurous.
>
> Stef
>

>> There is no 'latest version' image available on http://www.moosetechnology.org/download I only see 4.0 beta 5 there. Monticello does not count, I want a ready to run nightly build image. I got that from hudson without any problems. Now if there is another way to get a nightly build image I would be happy as well ...
>>
>> On 23 Mar 2010, at 15:03, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Johan,
>>>
>>> I am not sure to fully understand. http://hudson.moosetechnology.org is a server that regularly runs the tests. If you want to have a read to use image, thenhttp://www.moosetechnology.org/download is probably a good starting point.
>>> As Simon said, I recommend to always use the last version for developing.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Alexandre
>>>

>> --
>> Johan Fabry
>> [hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry
>> PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

 Simon

Re: Hudson server down

Tudor Girba
Hi,

Using hudson for nightly build development images would be great. And
I certainly appreciate anyone that uses the latest and greatest dev
image to provide feedback.

However, my problem is that I do not know how to keep hudson alive. It
keeps on crashing on my Ubuntu 8.04 server. I would need some
daemontools-like process that spawns it back after a crash, but I have
problems installing that one, too. So, I am a bit stuck :(.

Cheers,
Doru

On 23 Mar 2010, at 21:23, Simon Denier wrote:

> On 23 mars 2010, at 20:01, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> but johan if you use the nightly build you should complain that
>> there are problems.
>> Would you use the nightly build of mac os?
>
> Well technically I think there is no difference: the test server
> performs the same procedure that we do to load the latest
> development version.
>

>> I think that in the future there will be probably a server to
>> certify and build images but right now
>> nightly builds are adventurous.
>>
>> Stef
>>

>>> There is no 'latest version' image available on http://www.moosetechnology.org/download
>>>  I only see 4.0 beta 5 there. Monticello does not count, I want a
>>> ready to run nightly build image. I got that from hudson without
>>> any problems. Now if there is another way to get a nightly build
>>> image I would be happy as well ...

>>> --
>>> Johan Fabry
>>> [hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry
>>> PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

> Simon

www.tudorgirba.com

"In a world where everything is moving ever faster,
one might have better chances to win by moving slower."

Re: Hudson server down

jfabry

I have a server machine here that is available for you to run hudson on. (It's a mac mini.) Currently it is only hosting http://dsal.cl so there is disk, RAM and CPU time to spare. Plus the development images would be nicely close for Alex, Romain, my student and me :-) Send me a personal mail if you are interested and we will set something up ...

--
Johan Fabry
[hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

Re: Hudson server down

Orla Greevy
Hi Doru
You just need to create a script that greps to see if the process is there  and not to start it in the background with &. You then put the script in your crontab. All the necessary environment variables need to be defined for the context of the script. You can even just kill and start it at a non critical time of the day. It is not complicated.

The problem of crashing  could be due lack of memory. Maybe you can start the process with more memory.

Cheers,
Orla

I am not sure to fully understand. http://hudson.moosetechnology.org is a server that regularly runs the tests. If you want to have a read to use image, <a href="thenhttp://www.moosetechnology.org/download">thenhttp://www.moosetechnology.org/download is probably a good starting point.
As Simon said, I recommend to always use the last version for developing.

Cheers,
Alexandre

--
Johan Fabry
[hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

Simon

www.tudorgirba.com

"In a world where everything is moving ever faster,
one might have better chances to win by moving slower."

Re: Hudson server down

Stéphane Ducasse
amazing for just a simple software launching tasks.

Stef

On Mar 23, 2010, at 9:48 PM, Orla Greevy wrote:

> Hi Doru
> You just need to create a script that greps to see if the process is there  and not to start it in the background with &. You then put the script in your crontab. All the necessary environment variables need to be defined for the context of the script. You can even just kill and start it at a non critical time of the day. It is not complicated.
>
> The problem of crashing  could be due lack of memory. Maybe you can start the process with more memory.
>
> Cheers,
> Orla
>
> On Mar 23, 2010, at 9:27 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Using hudson for nightly build development images would be great. And I certainly appreciate anyone that uses the latest and greatest dev image to provide feedback.
>>
>> However, my problem is that I do not know how to keep hudson alive. It keeps on crashing on my Ubuntu 8.04 server. I would need some daemontools-like process that spawns it back after a crash, but I have problems installing that one, too. So, I am a bit stuck :(.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru

>>> Well technically I think there is no difference: the test server performs the same procedure that we do to load the latest development version.

>>> --
>>> Simon

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "In a world where everything is moving ever faster,
>> one might have better chances to win by moving slower."

Re: Hudson server down

Alexandre Bergel
It would be great to have these scripts online somewhere... I guess
the seaside guys have a similar problem don't they?

Alexandre

On 23 Mar 2010, at 16:48, Orla Greevy wrote:

> Hi Doru
> You just need to create a script that greps to see if the process is
> there  and not to start it in the background with &. You then put
> the script in your crontab. All the necessary environment variables
> need to be defined for the context of the script. You can even just
> kill and start it at a non critical time of the day. It is not
> complicated.
>
> The problem of crashing  could be due lack of memory. Maybe you can
> start the process with more memory.
>
> Cheers,
> Orla
>
> On Mar 23, 2010, at 9:27 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Using hudson for nightly build development images would be great.
>> And I certainly appreciate anyone that uses the latest and greatest
>> dev image to provide feedback.
>>
>> However, my problem is that I do not know how to keep hudson alive.
>> It keeps on crashing on my Ubuntu 8.04 server. I would need some
>> daemontools-like process that spawns it back after a crash, but I
>> have problems installing that one, too. So, I am a bit stuck :(.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru

>>> Well technically I think there is no difference: the test server
>>> performs the same procedure that we do to load the latest
>>> development version.

>>> --
>>> Simon

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "In a world where everything is moving ever faster,
>> one might have better chances to win by moving slower."

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Hudson server down

Lukas Renggli
> It would be great to have these scripts online somewhere... I guess the
> seaside guys have a similar problem don't they?

No, Pharo images usually don't crash. At least not that often as Hudson does :-)

Hudson crashes all the time on my server too. I use daemontools as
described in the Seaside book to keep it alive. There are various
daemon watchers available that can restart your services so fast that
you don't even notice they crashed. I guess that is standard procedure
for many web application servers today.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Hudson server down

Alexandre Bergel
Ok, thanks Lukas. I should have skimmed your book before sending the
email.

Alexandre