I am curious about people's development process in Redline

I am curious about people's development process in Redline

Andy Burnett
Hello,
I haven't used redline yet, largely because I know nothing about the java development world. All my smalltalk experience is in pharo/squeak. However, I really want to be able to run smalltalk apps on the google app engine stack. So, redline looks like my best option.

To get started I need to understand how people work in redline. Do you do your dev in pharo et al, and then - once all your thinking has been done - split the classes into separate files and turn it into the various java files? Or, is there some kind of repl that you use to work in redline?

I do realise that you can use a normal code editor and go through the usual edit compile run cycle, but that seems like a very slow process indeed.

Cheers
Andy

Re: I am curious about people's development process in Redline

James Ladd
Hello Andy,

I use the jetBrains IntelliJ to write my code - with the Redline plugin of course.
It is quick enough for me given I also spend time in the IDE writing non-smalltalk (Ruby + Java + Javascript).

Redline does not yet have a 'porting' library to make the transition from Pharo to Redline simple,
but that is a goal. So you can write in Pharo and deploy to Redline.
You can do the dev in Pharo today but you will have a few instances where the methods and classes are
not one-to-one.

There is a repl for Redline but this need to be updated to cater for the latest changes.
There is just me at this stage so it is slow going.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Rgs, James.