I am sure that experts would know wby the browser's format does not work

12

I am sure that experts would know wby the browser's format does not work

mozillanerd
in Seaside 3.0.8 on squeak 4.4.
The previous version I used on Seaside 3.0.6 on 4.3 had a browser that would
properly format code text. Ofter I copy code from some tutorial, and the
code shows up with extra lines interspersed. A simple use of the format code
feature fixes the code appropriately.
In the new version of the browser, the format options does nothing. Just
blinks the screen.

THanks

Re: I am sure that experts would know wby the browser's format does not work

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi,

I think code can only be formatted if it is syntactically correct, i.e. is parseable.

Sven

On 25 May 2013, at 02:17, intrader <[hidden email]> wrote:

> in Seaside 3.0.8 on squeak 4.4.
> The previous version I used on Seaside 3.0.6 on 4.3 had a browser that would
> properly format code text. Ofter I copy code from some tutorial, and the
> code shows up with extra lines interspersed. A simple use of the format code
> feature fixes the code appropriately.
> In the new version of the browser, the format options does nothing. Just
> blinks the screen.
>
> THanks

Sven Van Caekenberghe
Proudly supporting Pharo
http://pharo.org
http://association.pharo.org
http://consortium.pharo.org

Sven Van Caekenberghe <sven <at> stfx.eu> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I think code can only be formatted if it is syntactically correct, i.e. is
parseable.

> Sven

> Sven Van Caekenberghe
> Proudly supporting Pharo
> http://pharo.org
> http://association.pharo.org
> http://consortium.pharo.org

Thanks, and I think that makes sense, however it happens with something as
simple as
<code>
newTask

self task: MyStTask new
</code>
Now if I accept, and then fomr the 'View' I select 'pretty print', the code
look like it should
<code>
newTask
        self task: MyStTask new
</code>

Sorry, still looking for my previous version Seaside 3.0.6 with Squeak 4.3
where the format worked fine. Further in that version the System Browser had
a searh element where I could searh for methods. In this Seaside 3.0.7 with
Squeak 4.4 I have to search in a very convoluted way *using the search tool
in the flaps'

Re: I am sure that experts would know wby the browser's format does not work

Paul DeBruicker

On May 25, 2013, at 3:58 PM, intrader <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sven Van Caekenberghe <sven <at> stfx.eu> writes:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I think code can only be formatted if it is syntactically correct, i.e. is
> parseable.
>>
>> Sven
>
>> Sven Van Caekenberghe
>> Proudly supporting Pharo
>> http://pharo.org
>> http://association.pharo.org
>> http://consortium.pharo.org
>>
> Thanks, and I think that makes sense, however it happens with something as
> simple as
> <code>
> newTask
>

> self task: MyStTask new
> </code>
> Now if I accept, and then fomr the 'View' I select 'pretty print', the code
> look like it should
> <code>
> newTask
>    self task: MyStTask new
> </code>
>
> Sorry, still looking for my previous version Seaside 3.0.6 with Squeak 4.3
> where the format worked fine. Further in that version the System Browser had
> a searh element where I could searh for methods. In this Seaside 3.0.7 with
> Squeak 4.4 I have to search in a very convoluted way *using the search tool
> in the flaps'

Re: I am sure that experts would know wby the browser's format does not work

mozillanerd
Paul DeBruicker <pdebruic <at> gmail.com> writes:

Paul, there is nothing new in your message - can you repeat please.

Re: I am sure that experts would know wby the browser's format does not work

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Sat, 25 May 2013, intrader wrote:

> in Seaside 3.0.8 on squeak 4.4.
> The previous version I used on Seaside 3.0.6 on 4.3 had a browser that would
> properly format code text. Ofter I copy code from some tutorial, and the
> code shows up with extra lines interspersed. A simple use of the format code
> feature fixes the code appropriately.
> In the new version of the browser, the format options does nothing. Just
> blinks the screen.

Can you please tell us how did you install Seaside?
What's the value of

  SystemBrowser default

in your Squeak 4.3 and Squeak 4.4 images?

Levente

> THanks

Re: I am sure that experts would know wby the browser's format does not work

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Sat, 25 May 2013, intrader wrote:

> Sven Van Caekenberghe <sven <at> stfx.eu> writes:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I think code can only be formatted if it is syntactically correct, i.e. is
> parseable.
>>
>> Sven
>
>> Sven Van Caekenberghe
>> Proudly supporting Pharo
>> http://pharo.org
>> http://association.pharo.org
>> http://consortium.pharo.org
>>
> Thanks, and I think that makes sense, however it happens with something as
> simple as
> <code>
> newTask
>

> self task: MyStTask new
> </code>
> Now if I accept, and then fomr the 'View' I select 'pretty print', the code
> look like it should
> <code>
> newTask
> self task: MyStTask new
> </code>
>
> Sorry, still looking for my previous version Seaside 3.0.6 with Squeak 4.3
> where the format worked fine. Further in that version the System Browser had
> a searh element where I could searh for methods. In this Seaside 3.0.7 with
> Squeak 4.4 I have to search in a very convoluted way *using the search tool
> in the flaps'

If you press Ctrl+0, then the search bar on the top right corner will get
focus (or you can use your mouse if you want). There you can type the name
of the method or class you're looking for.

Levente

Levente Uzonyi <leves <at> elte.hu> writes:

> If you press Ctrl+0, then the search bar on the top right corner will get
> focus (or you can use your mouse if you want). There you can type the name
> of the method or class you're looking for.
>
> Levente

Lvente:
Thanks, but unfortunately when I type Ctrl+0 nothing happens. With Ctrl+o I
get the error message 'Undefined object (Object)>>does not undersstand #spawn

Re: I am sure that experts would know wby the browser's format does not work

mozillanerd
Levente Uzonyi <leves <at> elte.hu> writes:

>   SystemBrowser default
>
> in your Squeak 4.3 and Squeak 4.4 images?
>
> Levente
>

> > THanks

I installled from

ftp://ftp.squeak.org/4.4/seaside/

The SystemBrowser detaul print gives me

OBSystemBrowserAdaptor

Sorry, but it looks differenct from the previous version, the previous
version had a input element on top where I could type a search for a method.

Thanks

Re: I am sure that experts would know wby the browser's format does not work

mozillanerd
Levente Uzonyi <leves <at> elte.hu> writes:

> What's the value of
>
>   SystemBrowser default
>
> in your Squeak 4.3 and Squeak 4.4 images?

It is OBSystemBrowserAdaptor in both

Re: I am sure that experts would know wby the browser's format does not work

Tobias Pape
Am 26.05.2013 um 18:39 schrieb intrader <[hidden email]>:

> Levente Uzonyi <leves <at> elte.hu> writes:
>

>> What's the value of
>>
>> SystemBrowser default
>>
>> in your Squeak 4.3 and Squeak 4.4 images?
>

> It is OBSystemBrowserAdaptor in both

OmniBrowser changed between the seaside 3.0.6 and the seaside 3.0.8
installation.
  I was of the impression that the OB used by 3.0.8 would be more stable
than the older one, at least it has seen more care by Colin….

Anyway, when you click on the blue triangle in the upper right in the
system browser, you can  select "choose new default browser" where you
can select "Browser", which will give you the default Squeak System Browser.
Be aware that the nice icons will then no longer be used, but "pretty print"
should work, at least.

Best
        -Tobias

Am 26.05.2013 um 17:03 schrieb intrader <[hidden email]>:

> Levente Uzonyi <leves <at> elte.hu> writes:
>

>> SystemBrowser default
>>
>> in your Squeak 4.3 and Squeak 4.4 images?
>>
>> Levente
>>

>>> THanks

> I installled from
>
> ftp://ftp.squeak.org/4.4/seaside/

To any Seasiders, Squeakers, Sorry, I have not yet announced that
current Seaside on Squeak resides there.

Best
        -Tobias

Tobias Pape <Das.Linux <at> gmx.de> writes:

> Am 26.05.2013 um 18:39 schrieb intrader <intrader <at> aol.com>:
>
> > Levente Uzonyi <leves <at> elte.hu> writes:
> >

> >> What's the value of
> >>
> >> SystemBrowser default
> >>
> >> in your Squeak 4.3 and Squeak 4.4 images?
> >

> > It is OBSystemBrowserAdaptor in both
>
> OmniBrowser changed between the seaside 3.0.6 and the seaside 3.0.8
> installation.
>   I was of the impression that the OB used by 3.0.8 would be more stable
> than the older one, at least it has seen more care by Colin….
>
> Anyway, when you click on the blue triangle in the upper right in the
> system browser, you can  select "choose new default browser" where you
> can select "Browser", which will give you the default Squeak System Browser.
> Be aware that the nice icons will then no longer be used, but "pretty print"
> should work, at least.
>
> Best
> -Tobias

Thanks Tobias, indeed I can choose 'Browser' and a browser change occurs.
However, the browser chosen is not the browser that I had operating on 3.0.6:
1. the format menu does not appear, I must click on 'more...' then on
'pretty print' (which does the job),
2. the method search bar does not appear.

I wonder which browser is available as default on 3.0.6 with Squeak 4.3.

I have further problems with the 3.0.8's version of Magritte. I am following
the Hasso Plattner Institut Seaside Tutorial's Monticello version 2
(including Magritte) of the ToDo Application (accessible from tutorial at
http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/seaside/files/StLibrary/STTutTodoAppSeaside3WithMagritte.mcz.

It works perfectly on 3.0.6 and Squeak 4.3. Unfortunately, it fails on 3.0.8
and Squeak 4.4 with error 'StTask(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #description';
I am investigating why the problem as the source of the ToDo Application is
the same (as given above),

What I know changed is Magritte.

intrader <intrader <at> aol.com> writes:

> What I know changed is Magritte.

Indeed, on 3.0.6 and Squeak 4.3, Monticello shows that Magritte2 is running.
On 3.0.8 and Squeak 4.4, Monticello shows Magritte3.

I am continuing to investigate, as probably I need to migrate the
application to Magritte3.

What a bummer; a major tutorial broken by Magritte3.

Am 27.05.2013 um 18:20 schrieb intrader <[hidden email]>:

> Tobias Pape <Das.Linux <at> gmx.de> writes:
>

>> Am 26.05.2013 um 18:39 schrieb intrader <intrader <at> aol.com>:
>>
>>> Levente Uzonyi <leves <at> elte.hu> writes:
>>>

>>> It is OBSystemBrowserAdaptor in both
>>
>> OmniBrowser changed between the seaside 3.0.6 and the seaside 3.0.8
>> installation.
>>  I was of the impression that the OB used by 3.0.8 would be more stable
>> than the older one, at least it has seen more care by Colin….
>>
>> Anyway, when you click on the blue triangle in the upper right in the
>> system browser, you can  select "choose new default browser" where you
>> can select "Browser", which will give you the default Squeak System Browser.
>> Be aware that the nice icons will then no longer be used, but "pretty print"
>> should work, at least.
>>
>> Best
>> -Tobias
>>

> Thanks Tobias, indeed I can choose 'Browser' and a browser change occurs.
> However, the browser chosen is not the browser that I had operating on 3.0.6:
> 1. the format menu does not appear, I must click on 'more...' then on
> 'pretty print' (which does the job),
> 2. the method search bar does not appear.

This is expected.

> I wonder which browser is available as default on 3.0.6 with Squeak 4.3.

The Default browser for the 3.0.6/4.3 combo is the same as the
browser for the 3.0.8/4.4 combo, ie. OmniBrowser, but in a different version.

Please send a mail to the squeak-dev[1] or newbies[2] mailinglists, so
that we do not forget the bug you mentioned (ie, non-working Pretty-print in OB)

> I have further problems with the 3.0.8's version of Magritte. I am following
> the Hasso Plattner Institut Seaside Tutorial's Monticello version 2
> (including Magritte) of the ToDo Application (accessible from tutorial at
> http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/seaside/files/StLibrary/STTutTodoAppSeaside3WithMagritte.mcz.
>
> It works perfectly on 3.0.6 and Squeak 4.3. Unfortunately, it fails on 3.0.8
> and Squeak 4.4 with error 'StTask(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #description';
> I am investigating why the problem as the source of the ToDo Application is
> the same (as given above),
>
> What I know changed is Magritte.

Yes. The tutorial assumes Magritte 2, as the installation description states.
We have not had time yet to make the necessary changes for Magritte 3.

Best
        -Tobias

[1] lists.squeakfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/squeak-dev
[2] lists.squeakfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/newbies_______________________________________________
seaside mailing list

Am 27.05.2013 um 19:23 schrieb intrader <[hidden email]>:

> intrader <intrader <at> aol.com> writes:

>> What I know changed is Magritte.
>>

> Indeed, on 3.0.6 and Squeak 4.3, Monticello shows that Magritte2 is running.
> On 3.0.8 and Squeak 4.4, Monticello shows Magritte3.
>
> I am continuing to investigate, as probably I need to migrate the
> application to Magritte3.
>
> What a bummer; a major tutorial broken by Magritte3.

I think a quick-fix for you to continue:

1) Create the description methods on the _instance_ side and not on the _class_ side
   (eg, StTask>>#descriptionCompleted instead of StTask class>>#descriptionCompleted)
2) Add a <magritteDescription> method property (aka pragma) like this:

descriptionCompleted
 <magritteDescription>
 ^ MABooleanDescription new
  selectorAccessor: #completed;
  label: 'Completed?';
  priority: 30;
  default: false;
  yourself

3) replace the send to #description in "Dynamic Descriptions" and "Create a Report"
   with a send to  #magritteDescription

Hope that helps

Best
        -Tobias

Re: I am sure that experts would know wby the browser's format does not work

mozillanerd
Tobias Pape <Das.Linux <at> gmx.de> writes:

> Am 27.05.2013 um 18:20 schrieb intrader <intrader <at> aol.com>:
>
> > Tobias Pape <Das.Linux <at> gmx.de> writes:

> >> OmniBrowser changed between the seaside 3.0.6 and the seaside 3.0.8
> >> installation.
Three browsers are offered:

Package Browser
Browser
OmniBroser

None of browsers offer the method search top at the top of the browser window.

The 'refactor method' is not around (I had this in the browser offered by
3.0.6 Squeak 4.3. I would like to use 'refactor method' to move description
methods to the instance side. In factor they don't offer the option to
'refactor class' and create accessors!

This is quite terrible and I will try to report these deficiencies but they
should have been caught in testing.

Re: I am sure that experts would know wby the browser's format does not work

mozillanerd
Tobias Pape <Das.Linux <at> gmx.de> writes:

> > and Squeak 4.4 with error 'StTask(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #description';
> > I am investigating why the problem as the source of the ToDo Application is
> > the same (as given above),
> >
> > What I know changed is Magritte.
>
> Yes. The tutorial assumes Magritte 2, as the installation description states.
> We have not had time yet to make the necessary changes for Magritte 3.
>
> Best
> -Tobias
>
> [1] lists.squeakfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/squeak-dev
> [2] lists.squeakfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/newbies

I will try these changes and let you know
.
However immediately I run into the deficiency in refactoring of any of the
pbrowsers offered:

Package Browser
Browser
OmniBrowser

Re: I am sure that experts would know wby the browser's format does not work

mozillanerd
intrader <intrader <at> aol.com> writes:

> Tobias Pape <Das.Linux <at> gmx.de> writes:
Additional changes required is to change the references to
StTask descriptionCompleted to...

I don't yet know which task to use!

Re: I am sure that experts would know wby the browser's format does not work

mozillanerd
Tobias Pape <Das.Linux <at> gmx.de> writes:

The changes to the Magritte ocde indeed work with an additional tweak in the
StLoggedInComponent>>initializeReort to reference StTask new
descriptionCompleted instead of StTask descriptionCompleted.

The StTutDodoApp is now running on Magritte 3.

12