"I arranged all my public packages with metacello."

"I arranged all my public packages with metacello."

HwaJong Oh
Hi,

I arranged all my public packages with metacello. http://www.squeaksource.com/DaliotsPlayground.html

What i did was:
step 0. learned metacello with ProStef (ProStef rocks!)
step 1. create a new repository www.squeaksource.com/DaliotsPlayground.
step 2. upload all public packages to it. (Gofer push rocks!)
step 3. With clean image, test each packages installable stand-aone.
step 4. Write small ConfigurationOfXXX package for each package that does not install alone.
step 5. realize all those small ConfigurationOfXXX have many redundancy.
step 6. create ConfigurationOfDaliotsPlayground and copied baselines and versions into it.
step 7. removed all ConfigurationOfXXX except ConfigurationOfDaliotsPlayground.

** through this process, tested each packages and ConfigurationOfXXXs by installing them in clearn image.

problems:
1. package testing was uneffiicient consuming a lot of time.
2. download counts and activity indicator soared unintentionally.
3. testing doubles since Squeak compatibility is not checked.

Best Regards

Re: "I arranged all my public packages with metacello."

Igor Stasenko
Nice excersise.. So, we have one more person with metacello expertise :)

On 5 July 2011 02:52, HwaJong Oh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I arranged all my public packages with metacello.
> http://www.squeaksource.com/DaliotsPlayground.html
>
> What i did was:
> step 0. learned metacello with ProStef (ProStef rocks!)
> step 1. create a new repository www.squeaksource.com/DaliotsPlayground.
> step 2. upload all public packages to it. (Gofer push rocks!)
> step 3. With clean image, test each packages installable stand-aone.
> step 4. Write small ConfigurationOfXXX package for each package that does
> not install alone.
> step 5. realize all those small ConfigurationOfXXX have many redundancy.
> step 6. create ConfigurationOfDaliotsPlayground and copied baselines and
> versions into it.
> step 7. removed all ConfigurationOfXXX except
> ConfigurationOfDaliotsPlayground.
>
> ** through this process, tested each packages and ConfigurationOfXXXs by
> installing them in clearn image.
>
> problems:
> 1. package testing was uneffiicient consuming a lot of time.
> 2. download counts and activity indicator soared unintentionally.
> 3. testing doubles since Squeak compatibility is not checked.
>
> Best Regards

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: "I arranged all my public packages with metacello."

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 2:52 AM, HwaJong Oh <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I arranged all my public packages with metacello.
http://www.squeaksource.com/DaliotsPlayground.html

What i did was:
step 0. learned metacello with ProStef (ProStef rocks!)
step 1. create a new repository www.squeaksource.com/DaliotsPlayground.
step 2. upload all public packages to it. (Gofer push rocks!)
step 3. With clean image, test each packages installable stand-aone.

This step is a good one, and not everybody does it. It is good to detect if you have specified correctly all the dependencies for each package.
Dale, do you think something like this can be added to Metacello toolbox?

step 4. Write small ConfigurationOfXXX package for each package that does
not install alone.

Notice that even if the package is stand alone, it may be worth it to have a conf, because you can still bless versions as released, development, etc. You can descriptions of releases, etc....

step 5. realize all those small ConfigurationOfXXX have many redundancy.
step 6. create ConfigurationOfDaliotsPlayground and copied baselines and
versions into it.
step 7. removed all ConfigurationOfXXX except
ConfigurationOfDaliotsPlayground.

Interesting.

** through this process, tested each packages and ConfigurationOfXXXs by
installing them in clearn image.

problems:
1. package testing was uneffiicient consuming a lot of time.

:(  it would be good to make it automatic

2. download counts and activity indicator soared unintentionally.

the same happens with Hudson ;)

3. testing doubles since Squeak compatibility is not checked.

yes, but Metacello cannot do magic ;)

Best Regards

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com