I cannot believe that Browser is relying on Object>>initialExtent

I cannot believe that Browser is relying on Object>>initialExtent

Stéphane Ducasse
argh.......
May be not putting everything in Object would help.

Re: I cannot believe that Browser is relying on Object>>initialExtent

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Stef,

And you were ready to give up on Pharo... :)  A lot of Squeak code looks like it was written w/o thought of exceptions.  There is probably good reason for that, in that much of it comes from before the days of structured exception handling, weak collections, etc.  In fairness, having a browser, or worse yet a debugger, quit over a bad receiver problem can turn ugly.  By putting things in Object, those types of bugs would be largely avoided.  I'm not saying it is a good way to work, but it is wide spread in Squeak.

Bill

May be not putting everything in Object would help.

Re: I cannot believe that Browser is relying on Object>>initialExtent

Stéphane Ducasse
:)

I really think that putting a method in object just because may be at one point a wrong object may receive a message
should be avoided. Just already puting initialExtent into CodeHolder fixes some use cases....

> Stef,
>
> And you were ready to give up on Pharo... :)

:)
Now I start to have fun and I feel that the board is moving and ready for several turn around the earth (funny for a lighthouse).

>  A lot of Squeak code looks like it was written w/o thought of exceptions.  There is probably good reason for that, in that much of it comes from before the days of structured exception handling, weak collections, etc.  In fairness, having a browser, or worse yet a debugger, quit over a bad receiver problem can turn ugly.  By putting things in Object, those types of bugs would be largely avoided.  I'm not saying it is a good way to work, but it is wide spread in Squeak.
>
> Bill

Agreed - Object is not a good home for methods that clearly have no place there.  I'm not excusing the poor practice, but I _think_ I understand how it came about.

Bill

I really think that putting a method in object just because may be at one point a wrong object may receive a message should be avoided. Just already puting initialExtent into CodeHolder fixes some use cases....

> Stef,
>
> And you were ready to give up on Pharo... :)

:)
Now I start to have fun and I feel that the board is moving and ready for several turn around the earth (funny for a lighthouse).

>  A lot of Squeak code looks like it was written w/o thought of exceptions.  There is probably good reason for that, in that much of it comes from before the days of structured exception handling, weak collections, etc.  In fairness, having a browser, or worse yet a debugger, quit over a bad receiver problem can turn ugly.  By putting things in Object, those types of bugs would be largely avoided.  I'm not saying it is a good way to work, but it is wide spread in Squeak.
>
> Bill

Yes I was implying anything else.
On Jan 13, 2010, at 8:47 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Stef,
>
> Agreed - Object is not a good home for methods that clearly have no place there.  I'm not excusing the poor practice, but I _think_ I understand how it came about.
>
> Bill

Lukas Renggli
And #defaultColor and #inform: and #modelSleep and #modelWakeUp and
#modelWakeUpIn: and ...

2010/1/12 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> argh.......
> May be not putting everything in Object would help.
>
> Stef

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: I cannot believe that Browser is relying on Object>>initialExtent

Stéphane Ducasse
hold on :)
we will kill a lot of them one at a time with a nice chainsaw :)

Stef

On Jan 13, 2010, at 8:58 AM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> And #defaultColor and #inform: and #modelSleep and #modelWakeUp and
> #modelWakeUpIn: and ...
>
> 2010/1/12 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>> argh.......
>> May be not putting everything in Object would help.
>>
>> Stef

> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: I cannot believe that Browser is relying on Object>>initialExtent

Igor Stasenko
Kill them , please. :)
I dreaming about the time, when every method in Object will have a
very strong reasons to stay there.

2010/1/13 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> hold on :)
> we will kill a lot of them one at a time with a nice chainsaw :)
>
> Stef
>
> On Jan 13, 2010, at 8:58 AM, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>
>> And #defaultColor and #inform: and #modelSleep and #modelWakeUp and
>> #modelWakeUpIn: and ...
>>
>> 2010/1/12 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>>> argh.......
>>> May be not putting everything in Object would help.
>>>
>>> Stef

>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: I cannot believe that Browser is relying on Object>>initialExtent

Igor Stasenko
Kill them , please. :)
I dreaming about the time, when every method in Object will have a
very strong reasons to stay there.

2010/1/13 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> hold on :)
> we will kill a lot of them one at a time with a nice chainsaw :)
>
> Stef
>
> On Jan 13, 2010, at 8:58 AM, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>
>> And #defaultColor and #inform: and #modelSleep and #modelWakeUp and
>> #modelWakeUpIn: and ...
>>
>> 2010/1/12 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>>> argh.......
>>> May be not putting everything in Object would help.
>>>
>>> Stef

>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: I cannot believe that Browser is relying on Object>>initialExtent

we will believe me :)

On Jan 13, 2010, at 10:54 AM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> Kill them , please. :)
> I dreaming about the time, when every method in Object will have a
> very strong reasons to stay there.
>
> 2010/1/13 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>> hold on :)
>> we will kill a lot of them one at a time with a nice chainsaw :)
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Jan 13, 2010, at 8:58 AM, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>>
>>> And #defaultColor and #inform: and #modelSleep and #modelWakeUp and
>>> #modelWakeUpIn: and ...

>>> --
>>> Lukas Renggli
>>> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Was: "I cannot believe. . ." on Object implementation

csrabak
I share this dream and invite you folks to envision a such implementation that becomes an example of good OOP techniques.  Nowadays we have to avoid using Object to show any good practice. . .

2010/1/13 Stéphane Ducasse :

> hold on :)
> we will kill a lot of them one at a time with a nice chainsaw :)
>
> Stef
>
> On Jan 13, 2010, at 8:58 AM, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>
>> And #defaultColor and #inform: and #modelSleep and #modelWakeUp and
>> #modelWakeUpIn: and ...
>>
>> 2010/1/12 Stéphane Ducasse :
>>> argh.......
>>> May be not putting everything in Object would help.
>>>
>>> Stef

>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch