I don't understand what parameters are in Pier

I don't understand what parameters are in Pier

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi guys!

In a page I want to put a link to its parent. I am aware of +value:parent+  but this only prints the name of the parent. I want a link. In Pier documentation (http://www.piercms.com/doc/syntax?_s=Sm29MDRQBjStQgra&_k=KGUMf85-&_n&18) I read "Furthermore these expressions become a link if you add the parameter link.". So, the question is, what is a parameter in Pier ? how can I do it ?

Perhaps adding an example there would be useful for all of us.

Thanks in advance!

Mariano

Re: I don't understand what parameters are in Pier

Lukas Renggli
> In a page I want to put a link to its parent. I am aware of +value:parent+
> but this only prints the name of the parent. I want a link. In Pier
> documentation
> (http://www.piercms.com/doc/syntax?_s=Sm29MDRQBjStQgra&_k=KGUMf85-&_n&18) I
> read "Furthermore these expressions become a link if you add the parameter
> link.". So, the question is, what is a parameter in Pier ? how can I do it ?

+value:parent|link+

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 6:07 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> In a page I want to put a link to its parent. I am aware of +value:parent+
> but this only prints the name of the parent. I want a link. In Pier
> documentation
> (http://www.piercms.com/doc/syntax?_s=Sm29MDRQBjStQgra&_k=KGUMf85-&_n&18) I
> read "Furthermore these expressions become a link if you add the parameter
> link.". So, the question is, what is a parameter in Pier ? how can I do it ?

+value:parent|link+

Ahhh those are parameter!!! ;)  Works perfect!

Thanks!

Mariano

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 4:07 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> In a page I want to put a link to its parent. I am aware of +value:parent+
> but this only prints the name of the parent. I want a link. In Pier
> documentation
> (http://www.piercms.com/doc/syntax?_s=Sm29MDRQBjStQgra&_k=KGUMf85-&_n&18) I
> read "Furthermore these expressions become a link if you add the parameter
> link.". So, the question is, what is a parameter in Pier ? how can I do it ?

+value:parent|link+

I feel like a stupid, but I cannot put an alias. I want a link to the parent but to use a alias instead of the name of the parent. Suppose the name of the parent is "Lists of Blogs" and I want an alias that says "Return to the lists of blogs". How can I do this?

I tried several ways, but no one works. It always shows the name of the parent.

I tried, for example:

+Return to the lists of blogs>value:parent|link+

Thanks!

Mariano

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: I don't understand what parameters are in Pier

Lukas Renggli
> I tried several ways, but no one works. It always shows the name of the
> parent.
>
> I tried, for example:
>
> +Return to the lists of blogs>value:parent|link+

Hmm, there are bugs with +value:parent+, I fixed them in the latest commit.

Relating your question:

What you are trying to do is currently not possible. The alias is only
displayed in case there is no parent. I realized already a while ago
that this is not really intuitive, furthermore it does not allow users
to arbitrarily format the generated string. I am thinking of adding
something along these lines:

    +Return to {title}>value:parent|link+

In case this was already at the root, a replacement could be displayed
like this:

     +Return to {title}>value:parent|link|otherwise=You are already at the root+

I don't like the {}-thing though. Maybe there are better ideas there?

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 5:13 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I tried several ways, but no one works. It always shows the name of the
> parent.
>
> I tried, for example:
>
> +Return to the lists of blogs>value:parent|link+

Hmm, there are bugs with +value:parent+, I fixed them in the latest commit.

Ok, I will see them then.

Relating your question:

What you are trying to do is currently not possible. The alias is only
displayed in case there is no parent. I realized already a while ago
that this is not really intuitive, furthermore it does not allow users
to arbitrarily format the generated string. I am thinking of adding
something along these lines:

   +Return to {title}>value:parent|link+

In case this was already at the root, a replacement could be displayed
like this:

    +Return to {title}>value:parent|link|otherwise=You are already at the root+

I don't like the {}-thing though. Maybe there are better ideas there?

I think we are mixing 2 features:

1) Being able to have a link to the parent and put the alias you want. For example:

+Return to the lists of blogs>value:parent|link+

In this case I put an alias "Return to the lists of blogs" no matter which the parent name is.

2) Being able to put the parent name as part of the alias. Example:

+Return to {title}>value:parent|link|otherwise=You are already at the root+

My question was about 1) but having 1) and 2) would be very nice indeed.

I haven't any idea but I think {} is fine for me. We cannot put something very common to put in a link because we will then have to scape it. What I don't understand is if "title" not the {} is hardcoded (always have to be title) or I can put whatever I want.

Thanks!

Mariano

Lukas

--