I hate 'as yet unclassified'

123

I hate 'as yet unclassified'

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi guys

I spend my time recategorizing methods.

I would like the change the intention of 'as yet unclassified' because this is a PLAGUE.
It is like throwing papers on the floor.
So we should have a different name to indicate that it should be fixed.

Any ideas?

'you are a dirty programmer - change me'

Re: I hate 'as yet unclassified'

Esteban A. Maringolo
2013/1/29 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
> Hi guys
>
> I spend my time recategorizing methods.
>
> I would like the change the intention of 'as yet unclassified' because this is a PLAGUE.
> It is like throwing papers on the floor.
> So we should have a different name to indicate that it should be fixed.

> Any ideas?

Recategorizing means assigning categories to methods, not
classification, so "unclassified" is not the proper word.

So for me "uncategorized" would be a good fit.

Regards.

Re: I hate 'as yet unclassified'

camille teruel
'CATEGORIZE ME'
Because smalltalkers hate upper cased letters, so everyone will categorize them quickly ;)

On 29 janv. 2013, at 16:57, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

I would like the change the intention of 'as yet unclassified' because this is a PLAGUE.
It is like throwing papers on the floor.
So we should have a different name to indicate that it should be fixed.

Re: I hate 'as yet unclassified'

Ben Coman
While on the topic, some of the category chooser dialogs are sorted so
that the extensions are listed first - which I find annoying (in 1.4).
In 2.0 can the standard categories be shown first ?

Also, I still struggle to really be confident I am choosing the right
categories.  Perhaps down the track, a feature useful for newcomers
might be a tooltip when hovering over items on the category list, or
alternatively, hover showing a list of the ten most common methods
appearing in that category.

cheers -ben

On Jan 29, 2013, at 1:06 PM, wam wrote:

> 'CATEGORIZE ME'
> Because smalltalkers hate upper cased letters, so everyone will categorize them quickly ;)

:)

may be should add 'ASs****'

I really hate hate hate all this easy sloppiness.

Stef

On Jan 29, 2013, at 2:03 PM, Ben Coman wrote:

> While on the topic, some of the category chooser dialogs are sorted so that the extensions are listed first - which I find annoying (in 1.4).   In 2.0 can the standard categories be shown first ?
>
> Also, I still struggle to really be confident I am choosing the right categories.  Perhaps down the track, a feature useful for newcomers might be a tooltip when hovering over items on the category list, or alternatively, hover showing a list of the ten most common methods appearing in that category.

could be really neat :)

On 29 janv. 2013, at 23:21, Benjamin wrote:

Code with "as yet unclassified" methods should be rejected by the monkey !

+1

Re: I hate 'as yet unclassified'

Ok but in 3.0
We will kill that bad habit.
We should investigate in an automatic categorizer. There was one I should have a look one of these days (since I do not know what to do :)).

Stef

> Code with "as yet unclassified" methods should be rejected by the monkey !
>
> Ben
>
> On Jan 29, 2013, at 11:19 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Jan 29, 2013, at 2:03 PM, Ben Coman wrote:
>>
>>> While on the topic, some of the category chooser dialogs are sorted so that the extensions are listed first - which I find annoying (in 1.4).   In 2.0 can the standard categories be shown first ?
>>>
>>> Also, I still struggle to really be confident I am choosing the right categories.  Perhaps down the track, a feature useful for newcomers might be a tooltip when hovering over items on the category list, or alternatively, hover showing a list of the ten most common methods appearing in that category.
>>
>> could be really neat :)
>>

>>> cheers -ben

Re: I hate 'as yet unclassified'

Fernando olivero-2
Hi, if you look closely at the attached screenshots, you will find that being sloppy is a side-effect of modern times!

The "unclassified" method category is missing from both the Smalltalk 76 and Smalltalk 80 tools.

Fernando

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 11:31 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok but in 3.0
We will kill that bad habit.
We should investigate in an automatic categorizer. There was one I should have a look one of these days (since I do not know what to do :)).

Stef

> Code with "as yet unclassified" methods should be rejected by the monkey !
>
> Ben
>
> On Jan 29, 2013, at 11:19 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Jan 29, 2013, at 2:03 PM, Ben Coman wrote:
>>
>>> While on the topic, some of the category chooser dialogs are sorted so that the extensions are listed first - which I find annoying (in 1.4).   In 2.0 can the standard categories be shown first ?
>>>
>>> Also, I still struggle to really be confident I am choosing the right categories.  Perhaps down the track, a feature useful for newcomers might be a tooltip when hovering over items on the category list, or alternatively, hover showing a list of the ten most common methods appearing in that category.
>>
>> could be really neat :)
>>

>>> cheers -ben

smalltalk76.pdf (147K) Download Attachment
smalltalk80.pdf (62K) Download Attachment

Re: I hate 'as yet unclassified'

Stephan Eggermont-3
In Pharo 20498, sorted by author in the method timestamp:

gvc 1550
AlainPlantec 320
        216
GaryChambers 215
CamilloBruni 163
IgorStasenko 159
stephaneducasse 152
avi 148
Igor.Stasenko 128
StephaneDucasse 85
SeanDeNigris 81
MarcusDenker 78
ab 75
GuillermoPolito 68
tween 52
BenjaminVanRyseghem 51
ar 46
di 40
RAA 38
alain.plantec 38
EstebanLorenzano 35
FernandoOlivero 33
nice 31
tk 29
nk 28
cwp 26
dvf 22
rr 20
PavelKrivanek 18
MarianoMartinezPeck 18
yo 18
sd 18
bf 16
SvenVanCaekenberghe 16
JMM 16
marcus.denker 14
wiz 12
ajh 12
mjr 12
cipt 10
abc 10
md 10
HenrikSperreJohansen 9
MikeRoberts 8
AndyKellens 6
LukasRenggli 6
noha 6
ClementBera 6
jrd 6
GastonDallOglio 6
2011-01-24T15:34:00+01:00 6
DeboraFortini 5
stephane.ducasse 5
lr 5
2011-01-24T15:33:00+01:00 4
dgd 4
DamienCassou 4
TestRunner 4
bkv 4
BG 4
Alexandre 4
AndrewBlack 4
sw 4
SimonAllier 3
DanielAvivEstebanAllende 3
ASB 2
mas 2
pmm 2
simondenier 2
BernardoContreras 2
th 2
damienpollet 2
NicoPaez 2
CamilloBrui 2
sps 2
MiguelCoba 2
eem 2
NikoSchwarz 2
JavierPimas 2
GabrielOmarCotelli 2
mir 2
ul 2
2011-01-24T15:50:00+01:00 2
jf 2
c 2
ls 2
al 2
NorbertHartl 2
djp 2
AdrianLienhard 2
TorstenBergmann 2
AlexandreBergel 2
tbn 2
DiogenesMoreira 2
GuyHylton 1
ThierryGoubier 1

Re: I hate 'as yet unclassified'

EstebanLM
holy s**t , 35!

and I'm more or less a maniac of classification :P

On Jan 30, 2013, at 2:02 PM, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In Pharo 20498, sorted by author in the method timestamp:

> [...]

In Pharo 20498, sorted by package name

Polymorph-Widgets 1116
Polymorph-Widgets-Windows 615
Polymorph-Tools-Diff 260
Monticello-Repositories 240
Morphic-MorphTreeWidget-Examples 192
Monticello-Versioning 144
NativeBoost-Core-Types 104
Monticello-Storing 66
NativeBoost-Core-Objects 60
Graphics-Fonts 56
NativeBoost-Tests 55
Balloon-Fills 54
FreeTypeTests-cache 52
Text-Core 50
AST-Core-Visitors 48
Tests-Bugs 46
Collections-Streams 44
Morphic-Borders 44
Polymorph-Widgets-Themes 42
Keymapping-Tests 39
Monticello-Modeling 38
Tests-Traits 38
Morphic-Text Support 32
MonticelloGUI 31
NOCompletion-Model 30
Monticello-Patching 28
Morphic-Explorer 28
Morphic-MorphTreeWidget 26
RPackage-Tests 22
Monticello-Mocks 21
Tests-Monticello 20
Keymapping-Shortcuts 20
Polymorph-Geometry 20
NativeBoost-Core 19
NativeBoost-Core-FFI 18
Tests-Polymorph-Widgets 18
SUnit-Core-Utilities 18
Compiler-Exceptions 18
Tools-Explorer 18
NativeBoost-Win32 16
Tests-SystemHistory 16
Files-Kernel 14
CollectionsTests-Weak 14
CompilerTests 14
Tools-Inspector 12
CollectionsTests-Arrayed 12
CollectionsTests-Sequenceable 12
NativeBoost-Core-Heap 12
CollectionsTests-Strings 12
Tests-ObjectsAsMethods 12
Tests-System 12
Traits-Kernel 10
Morphic-ProgressBar 10
MorphicTests-Kernel 10
NativeBoost-Core-Errors 10
Tools-Debugger 10
Morphic-Basic 10
KernelTests-Methods 10
Morphic-Menus 10
AsmJit-StackManagement 9
Morphic-Pluggable Widgets 8
Kernel-Exceptions 8
System-Changes 8
Tools-FileList 8
NautilusCommon-Refactor 8
Kernel-Methods 8
Morphic-Events 8
FileSystem-Core-Implementation 8
MorphicTests-Widgets 6
NativeBoost-Mac 6
AST-Core-Nodes 6
ToolsTest-PointerFinder 6
FileSystem-Tests-Core 6
Kernel-Pragmas-Collector 6
MonticelloMocks 6
Tests-TextEditors 6
KernelTests-Classes 6
SUnit-Core-Kernel 6
HudsonBuildTools20 6
System-Settings-Core 6
KernelTests-Chronology 6
Spec-Widgets 6
ScriptLoader20 5
NetworkTests-Protocols 4
Spec-Tests 4
FreeType-FontManager 4
Morphic-Widgets 4
System-Announcements 4
NautilusCommon-Plugin 4
Morphic-WindowNotification 4
Collections-Abstract 4
Text-Edition 4
Manifest-Resources-Tests 3
UIManager-Support 2
Nautilus-Widgets 2
KernelTests-Processes 2
Collections-Arithmetic 2
KernelTests-Numbers 2
Network-Protocols 2
Spec-Bindings 2
CollectionsTests-Unordered 2
Kernel-Classes 2
Network-Kernel 2
Tools-Base 2
Kernel-Processes 2
NativeBoost-Examples 2
NECompletion-Model 2
FileSystem-Zip 2
Tests-PackageInfo 2
Compression-Streams 2
FileSystem-Core-Public 2
MenuRegistration-Core 2
Tools-Finder 2
FileSystem-Core-Kernel 2
System-FileRegistry 2
Zinc-Tests 2
Spec-Core 2
Graphics-Display Objects 2
Morphic-Kernel 2
Network-URI 2
Nautilus-Tests 2
Collections-Support 2
System-FilePackage 2
Morphic-Support 2
Morphic-Worlds 2
FuelTests 2
NewClassOrganizer 1
Refactoring-Tests-Critics 1
CI-Core 1
Morphic 1
Ring-Tests-Kernel 1
Keymapping-Pragmas 1
UIManager 1
FileSystem-Disk 1

Re: I hate 'as yet unclassified'

Hernan Wilkinson-3
I think that classification is a matter of time and maturity of what you are doing.
When I'm programming, using TDD or in the debugger, I don't care about categorization, I don't want to be stopped or slowed down by that.
But before I commit the code, I run SmallLint and solve all the uncategorized methods. That is the time when I have the whole picture and can do a better categorization.
So having a "not categorized yet" category for me is fine, it is part of the iterative development process.
I would not change the tools, but I would force during the integration that no package will be integrated if it has uncategorized methods, the same if it has smalllint errors (at least errors, no possible errors).

Hernan.

--
Hernán Wilkinson
Agile Software Development, Teaching & Coaching
site: http://www.10Pines.com
Address: Alem 693, Floor 5 B, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Re: I hate 'as yet unclassified'

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Euh, I want to fix some of them !

Stephan,

Could you express this query in executable code ?
I am guessing you did this with Moose ?
Can it be done in plain Smalltalk ?

Sven

On 30 Jan 2013, at 14:02, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In Pharo 20498, sorted by author in the method timestamp:

> [...]

As there was a discussion on the Pharo mailing list on the number of these methods,
I thought to check in the 4.3 one-click too. Some synchronisation would be possible
by adding a hash over the method source, compare one method in the other system
to see if it was classified there.

Stephan

#unclassified methods by package

Etoys-Experimental 126
Morphic-Widgets 112
MorphicExtras-GeeMail 94
Collections-Text 90
Monticello-Repositories 79
ToolsTests-Browser 76
Multilingual-Display 76
Monticello-UI 72
Nebraska-Morphic-Collaborative 62
Monticello-Versioning 61
Tests-Monticello 52
Multilingual-TextConversion 49
Monticello-Merging 46
MorphicExtras-Demo 46
Morphic-Windows 45
MorphicExtras-Books 39
Etoys-Outliner 35
Tools-Browser 33
Network-RemoteDirectory 33
Tests-Bugs 32
Compression-Streams 32
Monticello-Storing 31
Sound-Scores 28
Tests-Monticello-Mocks 28
MorphicExtras-Navigators 27
MorphicExtras-AdditionalSupport 25
Morphic-Explorer 24
Nebraska-Morphic-Remote 22
Monticello-Patching 22
Tests-Files 20
Monticello-Chunk Format 20
Morphic-Text Support 20
Nebraska-Morphic-Experimental 20
Exceptions-Kernel 16
MorphicExtras-Text Support 16
MorphicExtras-Support 15
Monticello-Modeling 15
Sound-Synthesis 14
Tools-Inspector 14
MorphicExtras-Palettes 11
MorphicExtras-SoundInterface 10
Collections-Streams 10
TraitsTests-Kernel 10
Tests-Utilities 9
System-Changes 9
ST80-Pluggable Views 9
MorphicExtras-AdditionalWidgets 8
Installer-Core 7
Compiler-Exceptions 7
Morphic-Menus-DockingBar 7
Nebraska-Network-ObjectSocket 7
Files-Kernel 7
Monticello-Loading 6
ST80-Views 6
MorphicExtras-Widgets 6
MorphicExtras-AdditionalMorphs 6
Tests-ObjectsAsMethods 6
Multilingual-Editor 5
SMBase-domain 5
MorphicTests-Widgets 5
Nebraska-Audio Chat 5
MorphicTests-Kernel 5
ToolBuilder-Kernel 5
ST80-Controllers 4
Etoys-Stacks 4
Morphic-Menus 4
ST80-Framework 4
MorphicExtras-SqueakPage 4
CollectionsTests-Weak 4
MorphicTests-Layouts 4
Morphic-Pluggable Widgets 4
SUnit-Tests 4
Tests-Hex 4
ToolBuilder-SUnit 3
Etoys-Scripting 3
Graphics-Fonts 3
Kernel-Methods 3
Multilingual-Scanning 3
Files-Directories 3
SUnit-Extensions 3
ToolBuilder-Morphic 3
SystemChangeNotification-Tests 3
Morphic-Basic 3
ST80-Support 2
Network-Kernel 2
Etoys-Scripting Tiles 2
Kernel-Classes 2
Graphics-Primitives 2
Collections-Arrayed 2
MorphicExtras-Postscript Canvases 2
Services-Base 2
Graphics-Display Objects 2
Balloon-Fills 2
NetworkTests-UUID 1
PackageInfo-Base 1
Tools-FileList 1
CollectionsTests-Text 1
NetworkTests-RFC822 1
Services-Base-GUI 1
Tests-System-Support 1
System-Support 1
ST80-Editors 1
Etoys-Tile Scriptors 1
System-FileRegistry 1
Etoys-Scripting Support 1
NetworkTests-Url 1
Morphic-Kernel 1
ToolsTests-Inspector 1

#unclassified methods by author
RAA 438
stephaneducasse 145
ar 144
avi 99
yo 97
gvc 80
fbs 80
tk 80
di 76
nice 73
ab 73
sd 58
jm 47
dgd 44
sw 41
ul 35
nk 35
cmm 27
        27
cwp 26
bf 26
md 19
kb 12
wiz 12
jrp 11
kph 7
dvf 6
Tsutomu 6
ajh 6
mjr 6
ls 6
rej 6
apb 5
dtl 5
acg 4
gk 4
sbw 4
abc 4
bp 4
nb 4
jmv 3
spfa 3
laza 3
rr 3
JPF 3
MarcusDenker 3
al 3
Igor.Stasenko 3
BG 2
tetha 2
pk 2
btc 2
jrd 2
eem 2
mha 2
tfel 2
mir 1
jcg 1
mist 1
LC 1
tlk 1
djp 1
sumim 1
DSM 1
TN 1
aoy 1
DF 1
alain.plantec 1
gm 1
th 1
bvs 1
sma 1
jf 1
sps 1
tonyg 1
hh 1
tak 1
'

Sven wrote:
>Euh, I want to fix some of them !

Good, that was the idea :)
I was inspired by Doru's humane assessment primer.

>Could you express this query in executable code ?
>I am guessing you did this with Moose ?
>Can it be done in plain Smalltalk ?

I opened a Moose to take a look at the Mondrian examples,
then copied that. This is the version that runs in both Squeak and Pharo.

Open a workspace,
Print-it on
Unclassified new byAuthor
Unclassified new byPackage

This package intentionally contains some unclassified methods :)

UnclassifiedMethods-SJCE.2.mcz (4K) Download Attachment

Re: I hate 'as yet unclassified'

NorbertHartl

Am 29.01.2013 um 16:57 schrieb Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> Hi guys
>
> I spend my time recategorizing methods.
>
> I would like the change the intention of 'as yet unclassified' because this is a PLAGUE.
> It is like throwing papers on the floor.
> So we should have a different name to indicate that it should be fixed.
>

> Any ideas?
>
> 'you are a dirty programmer - change me'

To be honest I have problems understanding why method categorization is so important. Often I don't care a single bit about categories because I don't understand them. I often categorize just to make lint happy :)
What is the use? Declaring usage patterns? Declaring visibility? Use as method extensions marker? anything you like just classify? I can understand that it can help making the access of certain methods of a class easier. But that is particular true for classes with a lot of methods. Most of the classes are rather small. In most of my own developments I would consider most huge classes a design problem in my code. So I would try to fix that.
And finally it is not easy to learn about them because the browser is not helping. If you browse through the methods of a class the category pane doesn't get updated. So even if I want to learn by getting used to them it is hard.

I would make the none categorized term weaker by naming it "uncategorizied" so at least I have the change to deliberately not categorizing my methods without being annoyed by someones opinion about what is essential.

my 2 cents,

Norbert
123