I have a problem with removing the Development Toolbar

I have a problem with removing the Development Toolbar

Helene Bilbo
I posted this on Stackoverflow (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13075919/correctly-removing-development-toolbar-in-seaside), but as there were no answers, i repost it here. I think it may be a bug?

In order to disable the Development Toolbar at the bottom of my Seaside applications i did execute, as the Seaside Book says:

WAAdmin applicationDefaults
    removeParent: WADevelopmentConfiguration instance

Which does what it says - BUT only about half of the registered applications take notice that their parent is gone.

The other half shows still the Toolbar and the Configuration site for these applications still shows:

Root Decoration Classes: WAToolDecoration [inherited]

and only after i click one time at Configure (Root Decoration Classes), the next screen shows

Available: WAToolDecoration, Current: (empty)

and so i click nothing else but OK, and the Toolbar is finally gone.

Re: I have a problem with removing the Development Toolbar

mozillanerd
Helene Bilbo <thereluctantprogrammer <at> fastmail.fm> writes:

How interesting - I get by via the application configuration link, or
via code as in WAGlobalConfiguration setDeploymentMode or
WAGlobalConfiguration setDevelopmentMode.
You have noticed that the development toolbar is implemented as a decoration.
You many inherit from the parent decoration.

WAGlobalConfiguration setDevelopmentMode.
I use Seaside 3.0.7 on Pharo 1.3 and Pharo 1.4 and there is no WAGlobalConfiguration at all. From what i read, this may have been the way to do it in prior versions? I used the technique from the seaside book: http://book.seaside.st/book/advanced/deployment/deployment-preparing

Re: I have a problem with removing the Development Toolbar

Paul DeBruicker
On 10/27/2012 02:20 AM, Helene Bilbo wrote:

> I posted this on Stackoverflow
> (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13075919/correctly-removing-development-toolbar-in-seaside),
> but as there were no answers, i repost it here. I think it may be a bug?
>
> In order to disable the Development Toolbar at the bottom of my Seaside
> applications i did execute, as the Seaside Book says:
>
> WAAdmin applicationDefaults
>      removeParent: WADevelopmentConfiguration instance
>
> Which does what it says - BUT only about half of the registered applications
> take notice that their parent is gone.
>
> The other half shows still the Toolbar and the Configuration site for these
> applications still shows:
>
> Root Decoration Classes: WAToolDecoration [inherited]
>
> and only after i click one time at Configure (Root Decoration Classes), the
> next screen shows
>
> Available: WAToolDecoration, Current: (empty)
>
> and so i click nothing else but OK, and the Toolbar is finally gone.

That should remove them.  It sounds like a bug related to this issue:

Are the applications that retain the developer toolbar the default
applications  or applications you've (or some other package) has created?

Re: I have a problem with removing the Development Toolbar

Helene Bilbo
Paul DeBruicker wrote
That should remove them.  It sounds like a bug related to this issue:

Are the applications that retain the developer toolbar the default
applications  or applications you've (or some other package) has created?
It occures on both kinds of applications. You can reproduce it with a current One-Click-Image for Seaside 3.0.7 on Pharo from seaside.st with just the standard applications that come preloaded with this image.

The issue you point to seems promising, though :) I already experimented with WAAdmin clearConfigurationCaches, but that does not do the job.

I am not yet familiar with the internals of Seaside. I will start looking at it over the weekend..

Thank you for the hints!

Helene.

Re: I have a problem with removing the Development Toolbar

Yanni Chiu
On 02/11/12 8:14 AM, Helene Bilbo wrote:

> The issue you point to seems promising, though :) I already experimented
> with WAAdmin clearConfigurationCaches, but that does not do the job.

I've recently updated the Seaside packages I use in my build, and
noticed the problem with the Dev Toolbar staying around. However, I
build two images, one for deployment and one for development. My
deployment image does not have the toolbar, whereas my development image
has the toolbar and it resists all attempts, so far, to remove it,
except by the method you described.

It does seem to be caching problem, since my deployment image never
starts up with the toolbar, so doesn't have the problem with its
unwanted appearance.

On 11/02/2012 05:14 AM, Helene Bilbo wrote:

> Paul DeBruicker wrote
>> That should remove them.  It sounds like a bug related to this issue:
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/seaside/issues/detail?id=608
>>
>> Are the applications that retain the developer toolbar the default
>> applications  or applications you've (or some other package) has created?
>
> It occures on both kinds of applications. You can reproduce it with a
> current One-Click-Image for Seaside 3.0.7 on Pharo from seaside.st with just
> the standard applications that come preloaded with this image.
>
> The issue you point to seems promising, though :) I already experimented
> with WAAdmin clearConfigurationCaches, but that does not do the job.
>
> I am not yet familiar with the internals of Seaside. I will start looking at
> it over the weekend..
>
> Thank you for the hints!
>
> Helene.

If you don't care about accessing the other applications you can run this:

WADispatcher default handlers do: [ :each | WADispatcher default
unregister: each ].

which removes all of the applications that are installed in the image
and then you can re-initialize your own applications so you only have
the apps you're interested in to fix.

It will be good to learn how to remove the toolbar without unregistering
everything, but this may help in the short term.

On 02/11/12 11:05 AM, Paul DeBruicker wrote:

> WADispatcher default handlers do: [ :each | WADispatcher default
> unregister: each ].
>

> which removes all of the applications that are installed in the image
> and then you can re-initialize your own applications so you only have
> the apps you're interested in to fix.

My build script was using:

   WADispatcher default withDescendantsDo: [...]

to remove unwanted entries. Just yesterday, I fixed it to accumulate the
entries to be removed, and then remove them after the traversal. I
finally figured out that removing entries while doing the
#withDescendantsDo: traversal would cause some entries to be missed.
(I.e. don't remove collection entries, while traversing that same
collection). It used to work in Seaside 3.0 though.

I think the approach of removing everything, then adding back the
entries you need, is what I'll do in future.

Re: I have a problem with removing the Development Toolbar

Helene Bilbo
Paul DeBruicker wrote
That should remove them.  It sounds like a bug related to this issue:

I did not check the details, but tried the version before (3.0.3 - everything works as it should) and after (3.0.4 - my problem occures) this cache was integrated and this confirms that the problem might in fact be related to the cache.

I opened an issue in the bugtracker: