I love the launcher!!!!

12

Re: I love the launcher!!!!

Eduardo de Oliveira Padoan
I liked the launcher a lot, but It took me a while to get a version working out-of-the-box on Ubuntu.

It's not available with the VM on the /download page for Linux. My preferred choice would be the PPA anyway, as I like to keep stuff under APT control, but I had to dig a lot to find a sources.list entry combination that worked: not all packages are available on all repositories, and some old repos have invalid crypto signatures. In the end, what worked was:

- Xenial AND Trusty

- Disabled signatures checking (at my own risk):
sudo apt -o Acquire::AllowInsecureRepositories=true \
                                     -o Acquire::AllowDowngradeToInsecureRepositories=true \
                                     update
- Finally:
sudo apt install pharo-vm-core pharo-launcher

But if I try to load a Pharo 5.0 image (created from the launcher's list, marked as beta), I get this on the terminal:

"This interpreter (vers. 6505) cannot read image file (vers. 6521)."

Pharo 4.0 is the most recent on that list that works, at least that I could find -- there are too many branches under Pharo Jenkins for instance, and I couldn't find a suitable image there.

Att,

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 5:13 PM Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
demarey wrote
> Maybe it could be related to this bug:
> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-launcher/issues/52

It is a different bug in the same behavior.

The easy workaround is to manually create a pharo.version file for the
offending image.

As to the bug…

The immediate problem turned out to be that I had a startup error in certain
images due to a startup script that only worked in more recent Pharo
versions. So, suggestion #1: check that pharo.version has actually been
created, and if not produce a better error message. Also, ideally there
should probably also be a timeout in determining the image version because
sometimes the process returns without creating the file and other times it
doesn't return at all.

However, even after disabling the startup scripts, I was only able to
generate pharo.version by replacing
"~/Documents/Pharo/vms/private/6505/Pharo.app" with
"~/Documents/Pharo/vms/30-x86/Pharo.app", so there does also seem to be
something fishy with the 6505 VM

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Re: I love the launcher!!!!

demarey
Hi Eduardo,

Sadly, as far as I know, PPA are outdated, at least for pharo-launcher.
That’s why it does not work. You have an old version using an old VM unable to open recent images.

Christophe

Le 30 nov. 2017 à 00:25, Eduardo de Oliveira Padoan <[hidden email]> a écrit :

I liked the launcher a lot, but It took me a while to get a version working out-of-the-box on Ubuntu.

It's not available with the VM on the /download page for Linux. My preferred choice would be the PPA anyway, as I like to keep stuff under APT control, but I had to dig a lot to find a sources.list entry combination that worked: not all packages are available on all repositories, and some old repos have invalid crypto signatures. In the end, what worked was:

- Xenial AND Trusty

- Disabled signatures checking (at my own risk):
sudo apt -o Acquire::AllowInsecureRepositories=true \
                                     -o Acquire::AllowDowngradeToInsecureRepositories=true \
                                     update
- Finally:
sudo apt install pharo-vm-core pharo-launcher

But if I try to load a Pharo 5.0 image (created from the launcher's list, marked as beta), I get this on the terminal:

"This interpreter (vers. 6505) cannot read image file (vers. 6521)."

Pharo 4.0 is the most recent on that list that works, at least that I could find -- there are too many branches under Pharo Jenkins for instance, and I couldn't find a suitable image there.

Att,

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 5:13 PM Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
demarey wrote
> Maybe it could be related to this bug:
> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-launcher/issues/52

It is a different bug in the same behavior.

The easy workaround is to manually create a pharo.version file for the
offending image.

As to the bug…

The immediate problem turned out to be that I had a startup error in certain
images due to a startup script that only worked in more recent Pharo
versions. So, suggestion #1: check that pharo.version has actually been
created, and if not produce a better error message. Also, ideally there
should probably also be a timeout in determining the image version because
sometimes the process returns without creating the file and other times it
doesn't return at all.

However, even after disabling the startup scripts, I was only able to
generate pharo.version by replacing
"~/Documents/Pharo/vms/private/6505/Pharo.app" with
"~/Documents/Pharo/vms/30-x86/Pharo.app", so there does also seem to be
something fishy with the 6505 VM

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Re: I love the launcher!!!!

NorbertHartl
Maybe we should make the pharo launcher move to opensuse build service as the vm did. This way it would be under the same umbrella and available for the main linux distributions

Norbert

Am 30.11.2017 um 12:27 schrieb Christophe Demarey <[hidden email]>:

Hi Eduardo,

Sadly, as far as I know, PPA are outdated, at least for pharo-launcher.
That’s why it does not work. You have an old version using an old VM unable to open recent images.

Christophe

Le 30 nov. 2017 à 00:25, Eduardo de Oliveira Padoan <[hidden email]> a écrit :

I liked the launcher a lot, but It took me a while to get a version working out-of-the-box on Ubuntu.

It's not available with the VM on the /download page for Linux. My preferred choice would be the PPA anyway, as I like to keep stuff under APT control, but I had to dig a lot to find a sources.list entry combination that worked: not all packages are available on all repositories, and some old repos have invalid crypto signatures. In the end, what worked was:

- Xenial AND Trusty

- Disabled signatures checking (at my own risk):
sudo apt -o Acquire::AllowInsecureRepositories=true \
                                     -o Acquire::AllowDowngradeToInsecureRepositories=true \
                                     update
- Finally:
sudo apt install pharo-vm-core pharo-launcher

But if I try to load a Pharo 5.0 image (created from the launcher's list, marked as beta), I get this on the terminal:

"This interpreter (vers. 6505) cannot read image file (vers. 6521)."

Pharo 4.0 is the most recent on that list that works, at least that I could find -- there are too many branches under Pharo Jenkins for instance, and I couldn't find a suitable image there.

Att,

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 5:13 PM Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
demarey wrote
> Maybe it could be related to this bug:
> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-launcher/issues/52

It is a different bug in the same behavior.

The easy workaround is to manually create a pharo.version file for the
offending image.

As to the bug…

The immediate problem turned out to be that I had a startup error in certain
images due to a startup script that only worked in more recent Pharo
versions. So, suggestion #1: check that pharo.version has actually been
created, and if not produce a better error message. Also, ideally there
should probably also be a timeout in determining the image version because
sometimes the process returns without creating the file and other times it
doesn't return at all.

However, even after disabling the startup scripts, I was only able to
generate pharo.version by replacing
"~/Documents/Pharo/vms/private/6505/Pharo.app" with
"~/Documents/Pharo/vms/30-x86/Pharo.app", so there does also seem to be
something fishy with the 6505 VM

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Re: I love the launcher!!!!

abergel
Your email made me try Pharo Launcher. I love it too!

It replaces all my scripts to download the VM and the last images.

Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

> On Nov 23, 2017, at 5:51 AM, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> I love the PharoLauncher.
> It helps me to manage my parallel development and projects.
>
> We should put a link on the Pharo web site because
>
> http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/
>
> is arcane.
>
> Stef

Re: I love the launcher!!!!

Stephane Ducasse-3
:)
For me it helps me controlling my mess euh natural entropy

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 8:13 PM, Alexandre Bergel
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Your email made me try Pharo Launcher. I love it too!
>
> It replaces all my scripts to download the VM and the last images.
>
> Alexandre
>

>> On Nov 23, 2017, at 5:51 AM, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I love the PharoLauncher.
>> It helps me to manage my parallel development and projects.
>>
>> We should put a link on the Pharo web site because
>>
>> http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/
>>
>> is arcane.
>>
>> Stef

12