I love the launcher!!!!

12

I love the launcher!!!!

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi

I love the PharoLauncher.
It helps me to manage my parallel development and projects.

We should put a link on the Pharo web site because

http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/

is arcane.

Re: [Pharo-users] I love the launcher!!!!

Ben Coman
Every time I investigate an issue from the tracker, I start with a new fresh image.
Often its useful to track down which build introduced a bug, so I need to bisect the last 500 builds or so.
I select a build version from the "Template" side and create an image named "CaseCCCCC-BBBBB"
where CCCCC is the issue number and BBBBB is the build number.
I'll quickly end up with a dozen images then delete all but the two either side of where the bug was introduced,
to examine the differences between them, and develop a fix for the later build, then testing that fix in the latest build.

Also when someone announces a new library, I can quickly create a new image "SomeProject-BBBBB"
which I can dip my toes into as I get time available.

Nowadays the matching VM is automatically downloaded, which makes it easier to keep up with the latest VM+Image.

cheers -ben

On 23 November 2017 at 19:56, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:
Stephane Ducasse wrote:
Hi

I love the PharoLauncher.

Pardon my question, I have downloaded it and looked at it, but I don't get it. What does it do / what are the use cases (honest question)?

Thanks, Herby

It helps me to manage my parallel development and projects.

We should put a link on the Pharo web site because

http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/

is arcane.

Re: [Pharo-users] I love the launcher!!!!

Stephane Ducasse-3
Yes I do something similar to ben.

Stef

On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 4:43 AM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Every time I investigate an issue from the tracker, I start with a new fresh
> image.
> Often its useful to track down which build introduced a bug, so I need to
> bisect the last 500 builds or so.
> I select a build version from the "Template" side and create an image named
> "CaseCCCCC-BBBBB"
> where CCCCC is the issue number and BBBBB is the build number.
> I'll quickly end up with a dozen images then delete all but the two either
> side of where the bug was introduced,
> to examine the differences between them, and develop a fix for the later
> build, then testing that fix in the latest build.
>
> Also when someone announces a new library, I can quickly create a new image
> "SomeProject-BBBBB"
> which I can dip my toes into as I get time available.
>
> Nowadays the matching VM is automatically downloaded, which makes it easier
> to keep up with the latest VM+Image.
>
> cheers -ben
>
> On 23 November 2017 at 19:56, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Stephane Ducasse wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I love the PharoLauncher.
>>

>> Pardon my question, I have downloaded it and looked at it, but I don't get
>> it. What does it do / what are the use cases (honest question)?
>>
>> Thanks, Herby
>>

>>> It helps me to manage my parallel development and projects.
>>>
>>> We should put a link on the Pharo web site because
>>>
>>> http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/
>>>
>>> is arcane.
>>>
>>> Stef

bpi

Re: I love the launcher!!!!

bpi
Hi Stef,

I just found download links on this page:
https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-launcher
They point to Jenkins build artefacts.

Thank you for implementing the launcher. As a newbie I ran into some questions:

I guess the launcher is not self-updating, right?

If not, how can I find out if I already have the latest version?

I don’t really understand what Local means. Is there a difference between Local > Pharo 6.1 (stable) and Official distributions > Pharo 6.1 (stable)?
And what is the difference between Local > Pharo6.1 (stable) and Local > latest? Hmm, when I launched Local > latest I got a debugger[1].

What also bothers me is that I cannot switch to the white theme in the settings. I just can’t read the UI on the dark theme.

Cheers,
Bernhard

Author: BernhardPieber

[1]
UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #,
PhLVirtualMachineManager>>vmFileName
[ :bar |
bar label: 'Determining Image version'.
vm := self availableVirtualMachines
        at: self vmFileName
        ifAbsent: [ bar
                        label: 'Fetching VM to run Pharo ' , self imageVersion , ' images';
                        current: 25.
                self fetchVm.
                vm := self availableVirtualMachines at: self vmFileName.
                bar
                        label: 'Fetching sources files for Pharo ' , self imageVersion;
                        current: 50.
                self fetchSourcesFiles.
                bar
                        label: 'Running the image';
                        current: 100.
                vm ] ] in PhLVirtualMachineManager>>vm
[ :bar | aBlock value: bar ] in MorphicUIManager>>informUserDuring:
BlockClosure>>cull:
[ ^ block cull: self ] in [ self prepareForRunning.
CurrentJob value: self during: [ ^ block cull: self ] ] in Job>>run
[ activeProcess psValueAt: index put: anObject.
aBlock value ] in CurrentJob(DynamicVariable)>>value:during:
BlockClosure>>ensure:
CurrentJob(DynamicVariable)>>value:during:
CurrentJob class(DynamicVariable class)>>value:during:
[ self prepareForRunning.
CurrentJob value: self during: [ ^ block cull: self ] ] in Job>>run
BlockClosure>>ensure:
Job>>run
MorphicUIManager(UIManager)>>displayProgress:from:to:during:
MorphicUIManager>>informUserDuring:
PhLVirtualMachineManager>>vm
PhLImage>>launch
PhLLaunchImageCommand>>execute
PhLLaunchImageCommand(PhLCommand)>>executeIfApplicable
PhLCommandButton>>performAction
MorphicButtonAdapter>>action
PluggableButtonMorph>>performAction:
[ :m |
(m containsPoint: evt cursorPoint)
        ifTrue: [ m enabled
                        ifTrue: [ m performAction: evt ] ] ] in PluggableButtonMorph>>mouseUp:
Array(SequenceableCollection)>>do:
PluggableButtonMorph>>mouseUp:
PluggableButtonMorph(Morph)>>handleMouseUp:
MouseButtonEvent>>sentTo:
PluggableButtonMorph(Morph)>>handleEvent:
PluggableButtonMorph(Morph)>>handleFocusEvent:
[ ActiveHand := self.
ActiveEvent := anEvent.
result := focusHolder
        handleFocusEvent: (anEvent transformedBy: (focusHolder transformedFrom: self)) ] in HandMorph>>sendFocusEvent:to:clear:
BlockClosure>>on:do:
WorldMorph(PasteUpMorph)>>becomeActiveDuring:
HandMorph>>sendFocusEvent:to:clear:
HandMorph>>sendEvent:focus:clear:
HandMorph>>sendMouseEvent:
HandMorph>>handleEvent:
HandMorph>>processEventsFromQueue:
HandMorph>>processEvents
[ :h |
self activeHand: h.
h processEvents.
self activeHand: nil ] in WorldState>>doOneCycleNowFor:
Array(SequenceableCollection)>>do:
WorldState>>handsDo:
WorldState>>doOneCycleNowFor:
WorldState>>doOneCycleFor:
WorldMorph>>doOneCycle
WorldMorph class>>doOneCycle
[ [ WorldMorph doOneCycle.
Processor yield.
false ] whileFalse: [  ] ] in MorphicUIManager>>spawnNewProcess
[ self value.
Processor terminateActive ] in BlockClosure>>newProcess

> Am 23.11.2017 um 09:51 schrieb Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi
>
> I love the PharoLauncher.
> It helps me to manage my parallel development and projects.
>
> We should put a link on the Pharo web site because
>
> http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/
>
> is arcane.
>
> Stef

Re: I love the launcher!!!!

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
bpi wrote
> UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #,
> PhLVirtualMachineManager>>vmFileName

I usually get an error that looks like that when I try to launch a pre
Pharo-5 image. IIUC when Launcher is determining which VM to use…

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: I love the launcher!!!!

volkert-2
The PharoLauncher is really nice ...

Is it possible to use a 64Bit VM run an Image (6.1 >)? Per default a
32bit VM is downloaded.

BW, Volkert

On 23.11.2017 09:51, Stephane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi
>
> I love the PharoLauncher.
> It helps me to manage my parallel development and projects.
>
> We should put a link on the Pharo web site because
>
> http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/
>
> is arcane.
>
> Stef

Re: I love the launcher!!!!

Ben Coman

On 25 November 2017 at 23:24, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Stef,

I just found download links on this page:
https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-launcher
They point to Jenkins build artefacts.

Thank you for implementing the launcher. As a newbie I ran into some questions:

I guess the launcher is not self-updating, right?

Correct.

If not, how can I find out if I already have the latest version?

Looking in Monticello you'll see a PharoLauncher repository.
Open it and check if there are any newer ConfigurationOfPharoLauncher packages.
Install the latest and then do...
    ConfigurationOfPharoLauncher load.

However currently when I...
 install PharoLauncher from the Catalog into a fresh image,
 then update to latest as above, I get an error about a missing class,
 but if I load the latest ConfigurationOfPharoLauncher into a fresh image I don't get that error.

cheers -ben

Author: BernhardPieber

[1]
> [...]
[ :h |
self activeHand: h.
h processEvents.
self activeHand: nil ] in WorldState>>doOneCycleNowFor:
Array(SequenceableCollection)>>do:
WorldState>>handsDo:
WorldState>>doOneCycleNowFor:
WorldState>>doOneCycleFor:
WorldMorph>>doOneCycle
WorldMorph class>>doOneCycle
[ [ WorldMorph doOneCycle.
Processor yield.
false ] whileFalse: [  ] ] in MorphicUIManager>>spawnNewProcess
[ self value.
Processor terminateActive ] in BlockClosure>>newProcess

> Am 23.11.2017 um 09:51 schrieb Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi
>
> I love the PharoLauncher.
> It helps me to manage my parallel development and projects.
>
> We should put a link on the Pharo web site because

Re: I love the launcher!!!!

Stephane Ducasse-3
I do not know.
Christophe will certainly reply. Do not take the blessed folder but the latest.
We should clean the files.

> I just found download links on this page:
> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-launcher
> They point to Jenkins build artefacts.
>
> Thank you for implementing the launcher. As a newbie I ran into some questions:
>
> I guess the launcher is not self-updating, right?

What do you mean by that.
No you should donwload the latest version

> If not, how can I find out if I already have the latest version?
>
> I don’t really understand what Local means. Is there a difference between Local > Pharo 6.1 (stable) and Official distributions > Pharo 6.1 (stable)?

Local measn that there are stored on your disc
official distributions means that you download them from the web.

> And what is the difference between Local > Pharo6.1 (stable) and Local > latest? Hmm, when I launched Local > latest I got a debugger[1].
>
> What also bothers me is that I cannot switch to the white theme in the settings. I just can’t read the UI on the dark theme.

You can click on the setting of Pharo launcher
Now they do not list theme :(
In the setting if you "enable dev" you get access to the full pharo
and there you can chose the theme you want.

Screen Shot 2017-11-26 at 13.58.58.png (189K) Download Attachment

Re: I love the launcher!!!!

demarey
Hi Bernhard,

> Le 25 nov. 2017 à 16:24, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Hi Stef,
>
> I just found download links on this page:
> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-launcher
> They point to Jenkins build artefacts.
>
> Thank you for implementing the launcher. As a newbie I ran into some questions:
>
> I guess the launcher is not self-updating, right?

right.

> If not, how can I find out if I already have the latest version?

There is no way for now: https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-launcher/issues/23
What you can do is to open Monticello and see if you have latest versions of the Launcher packages.

Latest version is available at:
http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/Pharo_1.0.1.dmg (os X)
http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/Pharo-linux-1.0.1.zip (linux)
http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/pharo_installer-1.0.1.exe (win)

> I don’t really understand what Local means. Is there a difference between Local > Pharo 6.1 (stable) and Official distributions > Pharo 6.1 (stable)?

Local category lists templates you have on your machine.

> And what is the difference between Local > Pharo6.1 (stable) and Local > latest? Hmm, when I launched Local > latest I got a debugger[1].

Probably you downloaded an image called Latest with the Launcher. It then has been added to the local category.

> What also bothers me is that I cannot switch to the white theme in the settings. I just can’t read the UI on the dark theme.

We could add these setting easily. Could you open an issue ? https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-launcher/issues

Regards,
Christophe.

Re: I love the launcher!!!!

demarey

> Le 25 nov. 2017 à 20:08, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> bpi wrote
>> UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #,
>> PhLVirtualMachineManager>>vmFileName
>
> I usually get an error that looks like that when I try to launch a pre
> Pharo-5 image. IIUC when Launcher is determining which VM to use…

It probably means that the command used to determine the image version failed!
Could you reproduce with the latest version? If so, please open an issue and a way to reproduce.

Thanks,
Christophe

Re: I love the launcher!!!!

demarey

> Le 25 nov. 2017 à 21:45, Volkert <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> The PharoLauncher is really nice ...
>
> Is it possible to use a 64Bit VM run an Image (6.1 >)? Per default a
> 32bit VM is downloaded.

Yes, Pharo Launcher manages 32-bits and 64-bits VM. (https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-launcher/issues/35)
Maybe you do not have the latest version?

Re: I love the launcher!!!!

Torsten Bergmann
Hi,

Launcher is a power tool and has helped many of us so far. Thanks to all who helped moving
it forward, especially Christophe who is currently caring a lot.

Unfortunately one primary issue is not yet solved:

The downloadable files for Pharo 7 are not correctly displayed (see Screenshot attached).

I guess this is because the image file names have changed (initially the build process was set up
to include the git hash but now we also have the build number returned again, see [1])

So with the current Launcher one can not directly load a specific build number for Pharo 7 or see which
build number is the latest available. So for Pharo 7 it is usable to download "latest", "latest-32"
or "latest-64" but it is not possible to really distinguish all the "Pharorpackage-7" entries.

It would be really a step forward if this could be fixed somehow and also for Pharo 7 display the
image build number to make Launcher usable also for contributors to Pharo 7 again.

Thanks
T.

[1] http://forum.world.st/SystemVersion-cleanup-or-the-return-of-the-explicit-build-number-in-latest-Pharo-7-td4977073.html

launcher.png (28K) Download Attachment

Re: I love the launcher!!!!

volkert-2

On 28.11.2017 17:33, Christophe Demarey wrote:

> Hi,
>

>> Le 25 nov. 2017 à 21:45, Volkert <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> The PharoLauncher is really nice ...
>>
>> Is it possible to use a 64Bit VM run an Image (6.1 >)? Per default a
>> 32bit VM is downloaded.
> Yes, Pharo Launcher manages 32-bits and 64-bits VM. (https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-launcher/issues/35)
> Maybe you do not have the latest version?
i use PharoLauncher-user-stable-2017.11.24.

How do i choose the 64-bit image? In ~/Pharo/vms if find only xx-x86 vms

Re: I love the launcher!!!!

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
demarey wrote
>> pre Pharo-5 image
> It probably means that the command used to determine the image version
> failed!

Oh, are Pharo 4 and prior supposed to work? I figured they were just not
intended to be supported

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: I love the launcher!!!!

demarey

> Le 29 nov. 2017 à 00:52, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> demarey wrote
>>> pre Pharo-5 image
>> It probably means that the command used to determine the image version
>> failed!
>
> Oh, are Pharo 4 and prior supposed to work? I figured they were just not
> intended to be supported

Yes, I'm able to run pharo 1.4 images.
Maybe it could be related to this bug:  https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-launcher/issues/52

Re: I love the launcher!!!!

demarey

> Le 28 nov. 2017 à 21:53, Volkert <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>

> On 28.11.2017 17:33, Christophe Demarey wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>>> Le 25 nov. 2017 à 21:45, Volkert <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>>
>>> The PharoLauncher is really nice ...
>>>
>>> Is it possible to use a 64Bit VM run an Image (6.1 >)? Per default a
>>> 32bit VM is downloaded.
>> Yes, Pharo Launcher manages 32-bits and 64-bits VM. (https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-launcher/issues/35)
>> Maybe you do not have the latest version?
> i use PharoLauncher-user-stable-2017.11.24.
>
> How do i choose the 64-bit image? In ~/Pharo/vms if find only xx-x86 vms

You can choose, from Pharo 6.0 templates group, latest-64 by example. Pharo Launcher will then download a 64-bits vm to run this image

Re: I love the launcher!!!!

demarey
Hi Torsten,

I think I have a fix for your problem. I opened an issue fot it: https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-launcher/issues/55.
Could you confirm if it is ok now?

> Le 28 nov. 2017 à 20:11, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Hi,
>
> Launcher is a power tool and has helped many of us so far. Thanks to all who helped moving
> it forward, especially Christophe who is currently caring a lot.
>
> Unfortunately one primary issue is not yet solved:
>
> The downloadable files for Pharo 7 are not correctly displayed (see Screenshot attached).
>
> I guess this is because the image file names have changed (initially the build process was set up
> to include the git hash but now we also have the build number returned again, see [1])
>
> So with the current Launcher one can not directly load a specific build number for Pharo 7 or see which
> build number is the latest available. So for Pharo 7 it is usable to download "latest", "latest-32"
> or "latest-64" but it is not possible to really distinguish all the "Pharorpackage-7" entries.
>
> It would be really a step forward if this could be fixed somehow and also for Pharo 7 display the
> image build number to make Launcher usable also for contributors to Pharo 7 again.
>
> Thanks
> T.
>
> [1] http://forum.world.st/SystemVersion-cleanup-or-the-return-of-the-explicit-build-number-in-latest-Pharo-7-td4977073.html<launcher.png>

Re: I love the launcher!!!!

Torsten Bergmann
Unfortunately this fix did not work. Details are described in https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-launcher/issues/55

Meanwhile I fixed it in an own commit:   PharoLauncher-Core-TorstenBergmann.146

Launcher is now able to give the filter pattern not as global regex but now specific to the version:

           self
                name: 'Pharo 7.0 (development version)'
                url: 'http://files.pharo.org/image/70/' asZnUrl
                filterPattern: 'href="(Pharo-7.0.0-alpha.build.[^"]*.zip)"'

and it works and filters the alpha version (see screenshot).

So anyone who would like to test should give it a try. For sure it can be improved
to support also the other images in the future.

But at least one can download the standard release for Pharo 7 as it was for Pharo 6.

Thx
T.

> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 29. November 2017 um 09:26 Uhr
> Von: "Christophe Demarey" <[hidden email]>
> An: "Pharo Development List" <[hidden email]>
> Betreff: Re: [Pharo-dev] I love the launcher!!!!
>
> Hi Torsten,
>
> I think I have a fix for your problem. I opened an issue fot it: https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-launcher/issues/55.
> Could you confirm if it is ok now?
>
> > Le 28 nov. 2017 à 20:11, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Launcher is a power tool and has helped many of us so far. Thanks to all who helped moving
> > it forward, especially Christophe who is currently caring a lot.
> >
> > Unfortunately one primary issue is not yet solved:
> >
> > The downloadable files for Pharo 7 are not correctly displayed (see Screenshot attached).
> >
> > I guess this is because the image file names have changed (initially the build process was set up
> > to include the git hash but now we also have the build number returned again, see [1])
> >
> > So with the current Launcher one can not directly load a specific build number for Pharo 7 or see which
> > build number is the latest available. So for Pharo 7 it is usable to download "latest", "latest-32"
> > or "latest-64" but it is not possible to really distinguish all the "Pharorpackage-7" entries.
> >
> > It would be really a step forward if this could be fixed somehow and also for Pharo 7 display the
> > image build number to make Launcher usable also for contributors to Pharo 7 again.
> >
> > Thanks
> > T.
> >
> > [1] http://forum.world.st/SystemVersion-cleanup-or-the-return-of-the-explicit-build-number-in-latest-Pharo-7-td4977073.html<launcher.png>

pharo7InLauncher.png (92K) Download Attachment

Re: I love the launcher!!!!

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
demarey wrote
> Yes, I'm able to run pharo 1.4 images.

Hmm, when I tried to launch a 1.4 image, it hung forever while "Determining
image version". I interrupted and manually run the command on the terminal:

"/Users/sean/Documents/Pharo/vms/private/6505/Pharo.app/Contents/MacOS/Pharo"
--headless "/Users/sean/Dynabook/Working Images/COTDC/COTDC.image"
--no-default-preferences eval "(Smalltalk imagePath asFileReference parent)
/ 'pharo.version' writeStreamDo: [ :stream | |major minor| major :=
SystemVersion current major. minor := SystemVersion current minor. (major =
6 and: [ SystemVersion current highestUpdate >= 60509 ]) ifTrue: [ minor :=
1 ]. stream  << major asString; << minor asString ]"

Result = same, command hangs, plus the following output:

/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.1.1/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:50:
Error: unsupported compressor 8
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.1.1/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353:
Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file
'/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/Exceptions.plist'
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.1.1/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:50:
Error: unsupported compressor 8
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.1.1/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353:
Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file
'/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/AppExceptions.bundle/Exceptions.plist'
2017-11-29 10:08:38.507 Pharo[12375:1203919] *** -[NSPathStore2
stringByAppendingPathExtension:]: cannot append extension
'bundle/Contents/MacOS/' to path
'/Users/sean/Documents/Pharo/vms/private/6505/Pharo.app/Contents/MacOS/Plugins/MiscPrimitivePlugin'
2017-11-29 10:08:38.507 Pharo[12375:1203919] *** -[NSPathStore2
stringByAppendingPathExtension:]: cannot append extension
'bundle/Contents/MacOS/' to path
'/Users/sean/Documents/Pharo/vms/private/6505/Pharo.app/Contents/MacOS/Plugins/LargeIntegers'
2017-11-29 10:08:38.508 Pharo[12375:1203919] *** -[NSPathStore2
stringByAppendingPathExtension:]: cannot append extension
'bundle/Contents/MacOS/' to path
'/Users/sean/Documents/Pharo/vms/private/6505/Pharo.app/Contents/MacOS/Plugins/LargeIntegers'
2017-11-29 10:08:38.508 Pharo[12375:1203919] *** -[NSPathStore2
stringByAppendingPathExtension:]: cannot append extension
'bundle/Contents/MacOS/' to path
'/Users/sean/Documents/Pharo/vms/private/6505/Pharo.app/Contents/MacOS/Plugins/LargeIntegers'
2017-11-29 10:08:38.645 Pharo[12375:1203919] *** -[NSPathStore2
stringByAppendingPathExtension:]: cannot append extension
'bundle/Contents/MacOS/' to path
'/Users/sean/Documents/Pharo/vms/private/6505/Pharo.app/Contents/MacOS/Plugins/MiscPrimitivePlugin'
2017-11-29 10:08:38.653 Pharo[12375:1203919] *** -[NSPathStore2
stringByAppendingPathExtension:]: cannot append extension
'bundle/Contents/MacOS/' to path
'/Users/sean/Documents/Pharo/vms/private/6505/Pharo.app/Contents/MacOS/Plugins/FilePlugin'
2017-11-29 10:08:38.654 Pharo[12375:1203919] *** -[NSPathStore2
stringByAppendingPathExtension:]: cannot append extension
'bundle/Contents/MacOS/' to path
'/Users/sean/Documents/Pharo/vms/private/6505/Pharo.app/Contents/MacOS/Plugins/MiscPrimitivePlugin'
2017-11-29 10:08:38.654 Pharo[12375:1203919] *** -[NSPathStore2
stringByAppendingPathExtension:]: cannot append extension
'bundle/Contents/MacOS/' to path
'/Users/sean/Documents/Pharo/vms/private/6505/Pharo.app/Contents/MacOS/Plugins/MiscPrimitivePlugin'
2017-11-29 10:08:38.654 Pharo[12375:1203919] *** -[NSPathStore2
stringByAppendingPathExtension:]: cannot append extension
'bundle/Contents/MacOS/' to path
'/Users/sean/Documents/Pharo/vms/private/6505/Pharo.app/Contents/MacOS/Plugins/MiscPrimitivePlugin'
2017-11-29 10:08:38.655 Pharo[12375:1203919] *** -[NSPathStore2
stringByAppendingPathExtension:]: cannot append extension
'bundle/Contents/MacOS/' to path
'/Users/sean/Documents/Pharo/vms/private/6505/Pharo.app/Contents/MacOS/Plugins/FilePlugin'

I tried again headful and got a Pharo window with all black contents.

Here are my system details:

Image
-----
/Applications/Pharo.app/Contents/Resources/Pharo.image
Pharo6.0
Latest update: #60510
Unnamed

Virtual Machine
---------------
/Applications/Pharo.app/Contents/MacOS/Pharo
CoInterpreter VMMaker.oscog-eem.2254 uuid:
4f2c2cce-f4a2-469a-93f1-97ed941df0ad Jul 20 2017
StackToRegisterMappingCogit VMMaker.oscog-eem.2252 uuid:
2f3e9b0e-ecd3-4adf-b092-cce2e2587a5c Jul 20 2017
VM: 201707201942 https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm.git $
Date: Thu Jul 20 12:42:21 2017 -0700 $ Plugins: 201707201942
https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm.git $

Mac OS X built on Jul 20 2017 21:45:23 UTC Compiler: 4.2.1 Compatible Apple
LLVM 6.1.0 (clang-602.0.53)
VMMaker versionString VM: 201707201942
https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm.git $ Date: Thu Jul 20
12:42:21 2017 -0700 $ Plugins: 201707201942
https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm.git $
CoInterpreter VMMaker.oscog-eem.2254 uuid:
4f2c2cce-f4a2-469a-93f1-97ed941df0ad Jul 20 2017
StackToRegisterMappingCogit VMMaker.oscog-eem.2252 uuid:
2f3e9b0e-ecd3-4adf-b092-cce2e2587a5c Jul 20 2017

Operating System/Hardware
-------------------------
Mac OS 1013.1 intel

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: I love the launcher!!!!

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
demarey wrote
> Maybe it could be related to this bug:
> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-launcher/issues/52

It is a different bug in the same behavior.

The easy workaround is to manually create a pharo.version file for the
offending image.

As to the bug…

The immediate problem turned out to be that I had a startup error in certain
images due to a startup script that only worked in more recent Pharo
versions. So, suggestion #1: check that pharo.version has actually been
created, and if not produce a better error message. Also, ideally there
should probably also be a timeout in determining the image version because
sometimes the process returns without creating the file and other times it
doesn't return at all.

However, even after disabling the startup scripts, I was only able to
generate pharo.version by replacing
"~/Documents/Pharo/vms/private/6505/Pharo.app" with
"~/Documents/Pharo/vms/30-x86/Pharo.app", so there does also seem to be
something fishy with the 6505 VM

-----
Cheers,
Sean