I'm new

Deathiop.dev
Hello everybody,

I'm a recent Pharo user and I think it's pretty good.
So I really want to help. I went on the bug tracker but it seems difficult for me to resolve this kind of issues for the moment.

This brings me to a really simple question: How can I help ?

Regard,
Deathiop.

Re: I'm new

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 10:52 PM, Deathiop.dev <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello everybody,

I'm a recent Pharo user and I think it's pretty good.

Hi and welcome!

So I really want to help. I went on the bug tracker but it seems difficult for me to resolve this kind of issues for the moment.

I don't know how did you checks the issues, but just in case, you can try with this link:

http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/list?can=2&q=&sort=difficulty&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Summary%20Milestone%20Difficulty

If you look on the top, you will see all the issues that are tagged as easy. Of course, for a new comer, that "easy" may even be difficut, so don't worry ;)

But you can help with a lot of things, not only fixing bugs. The first thing I would advice you, is that if you want to collaborate in Pharo development, you should register in "Pharo Development" <[hidden email]>. This mailing list is mostly for people that just want to use Pharo.

In such mailing list, you will see and keep track of all the progress, problems, etc. One of the things to do is to test for example when someone commits a change or a fix and ask for testing/feedback. Just someone to say "it works here" or "it didn't work for me" are perfect. The same when someone creates an issue. Just saying "I could reproduce" is good.

Then, you can help us and make a better documentation: the website, the FAQ, Pharo By Exmple (http://pharobyexample.org/), and the last pharo book:

http://book.seaside.st/

You may want to read, review, give feedback, etc.

Another cool way of learning is writing unit tests. You can collaborate writing unit tests and committing them.

That's all I have in mind. I hope you join!

Cheers

Mariano

This brings me to a really simple question: How can I help ?

Regard,
Deathiop.

Re: I'm new

Igor Stasenko
On 9 May 2010 23:52, Deathiop.dev <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I'm a recent Pharo user and I think it's pretty good.
> So I really want to help. I went on the bug tracker but it seems difficult
> for me to resolve this kind of issues for the moment.
>
> This brings me to a really simple question: How can I help ?

Fixing the stuff is only a part of process.
If you feel that you are not ready to code, you can help with testing stuff,
reporting bugs, and sharing your overall experience with newest releases.
Telling friends about Pharo helps as well :)

> Regard,
> Deathiop.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [Pharo-project] I'm new

> http://book.pharo-project.com

Re: I'm new

laurent laffont
On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 10:52 PM, Deathiop.dev <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello everybody,

I'm a recent Pharo user and I think it's pretty good.
So I really want to help. I went on the bug tracker but it seems difficult for me to resolve this kind of issues for the moment.

This brings me to a really simple question: How can I help ?

Hi,

for me a good way to learn as an hobbyist is to contribute to documentation. You can write for HelpSystem. Contribute to pharocasts :) http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/ or write some stuff on the collaborative book http://book.pharo-project.org/

An easy way to help is also to write/maintain Metacello configurations for working packages. http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository

Cheers,

Laurent Laffont

Regard,
Deathiop.

Re: I'm new

Welcome on board,

to help you can
        - check that a reported bug is really a bug
        - report bugs
        - add class comments
        - read and review tests (some of them may not make sense)
        - check if existing packages like HTMLParser or other are working on pharo...

Stef