I'm running

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi All,

    I've decided to run for the board.  Electioneering to follow.
--
best,
Eliot

Re: I'm running

Chris Cunnington
On 2013-01-28 1:54 PM, Eliot Miranda wrote:
Hi All,

    I've decided to run for the board.  Electioneering to follow.
--
best,
Eliot

Wow. That's pretty cool.

+1

Chris

Re: I'm running

Bert Freudenberg
On 2013-01-28, at 19:54, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>     I've decided to run for the board.

Excellent!

>  Electioneering to follow.

:)

- Bert -

Re: I'm running

dcorking
On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 6:54 PM, Eliot Miranda wrote:

>     I've decided to run for the board.  Electioneering to follow.

Did I miss a statement that was "to follow"?

Have fun! David

Re: I'm running

Eliot Miranda-2

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 3:23 AM, David Corking <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 6:54 PM, Eliot Miranda wrote:

>     I've decided to run for the board.  Electioneering to follow.

Did I miss a statement that was "to follow"?

you didn't :)  The election whooshed past. But my priorities are, two top threes, the first three abstract goals, the second trio more concrete personal goals.

a) keep Squeak a fun accessible community-oriented multi-media Smalltalk (not that I contribute in any way to this).

b) underneath that superstructure increase modularity, especially in the direction of building variants by loading Monticello packages into a headless core image that is suitable for command-line scripting.

c) to better-define as, and provide better support for being, a platform.  By this I mean that a core image and its facilities, should be well-defined, well-documented, and concise.  The system should provide excellent support for command-line scripting (hence Colin Putney's new Filesystem is very important) and image building and image transformation (see d) below).  The FFI should be much improved and of high-quality.

d) provide new high-quality 64-bit and 32-bit implementations based around a new object representation and garbage collector in the VM and increase the performance of the VM by at least a factor of two (this is my personal focus for 2013).

e) increase the utility of Monticello.  While technical lead for VisualWorks I had a lot of influence on the parcel system, implemented some successes and more than my share of failures, especially w.r.t. overrides, which are a necessary evil in a rapidly-evolving system (see b) above).  In the last 5 years using Squeak I've seen just how wonderfully well Monticello works, and I'm really enjoying contributing in a small part to the efforts of people like Bert Freudenberg and Colin Putney in improving Monticello.  I'd like to see its management of overrides much improved.  And related, in-image versions are just wonderful, and enhancing the in-image version support, e.g. by ensuring that sources files can be written with full version history, is important to me.

f) see the Cog VM ported to ARM and other processors.  My GSoC student Lars Wassermann is making steady progress on this after a very impressive start last summer, and its great to see Tim Rowledge returning and working on Raspberry Pi.

Now from this you'll see some obvious gaps.  I say nothing concrete about UI or multi-media or education.  I don't spend any significant time in these areas and they're not my expertise (even though I'm a fitfully active musician).  But I love what has been done in this area and want to support others in achieving this.  For example, I'd love to see eToys above Cog.  So the above 6 points are my "platform" :).

So if you haven't voted already and the above resonates with you either consonantly or dissonantly, please VOTE!  You can put me below the "None of the below" line just as well as above it.

Have fun! David

Thank you.
--
best,
Eliot

Re: I'm running

Casey Ransberger-2
Oh cool! Gobbledygook inline.

On Feb 1, 2013, at 10:16 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 3:23 AM, David Corking <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 6:54 PM, Eliot Miranda wrote:

>     I've decided to run for the board.  Electioneering to follow.

Did I miss a statement that was "to follow"?

you didn't :)  The election whooshed past. But my priorities are, two top threes, the first three abstract goals, the second trio more concrete personal goals.

a) keep Squeak a fun accessible community-oriented multi-media Smalltalk (not that I contribute in any way to this).

The multimedia stuff is my favorite. I'd give you my vote just on this but I already did it.

b) underneath that superstructure increase modularity, especially in the direction of building variants by loading Monticello packages into a headless core image that is suitable for command-line scripting.

I think you might be winning.

c) to better-define as, and provide better support for being, a platform.  By this I mean that a core image and its facilities, should be well-defined, well-documented, and concise.  The system should provide excellent support for command-line scripting (hence Colin Putney's new Filesystem is very important) and image building and image transformation (see d) below).  The FFI should be much improved and of high-quality.

d) provide new high-quality 64-bit and 32-bit implementations based around a new object representation and garbage collector in the VM and increase the performance of the VM by at least a factor of two (this is my personal focus for 2013).

You talking about the stack VM going 64-bit? If so keep talking. If not, I should do more homework before replying.

e) increase the utility of Monticello.  While technical lead for VisualWorks I had a lot of influence on the parcel system, implemented some successes and more than my share of failures, especially w.r.t. overrides, which are a necessary evil in a rapidly-evolving system (see b) above).  In the last 5 years using Squeak I've seen just how wonderfully well Monticello works, and I'm really enjoying contributing in a small part to the efforts of people like Bert Freudenberg and Colin Putney in improving Monticello.  I'd like to see its management of overrides much improved.  And related, in-image versions are just wonderful, and enhancing the in-image version support, e.g. by ensuring that sources files can be written with full version history, is important to me.

No doubt that experience is a godsend to the community, and really ought to be strongly considered for the board.

Has anyone said VOTE yet??

f) see the Cog VM ported to ARM and other processors.  My GSoC student Lars Wassermann is making steady progress on this after a very impressive start last summer, and its great to see Tim Rowledge returning and working on Raspberry Pi.

Yeah. Most people try to have a campaign with legs. Mr. Rowledge, however, seems to prefer running on his ARMs.

I'm pretty sure I just lost the election (no one wants another pun,) but I think I see reasons why electing both of these guys at the same time might be a good idea.

Now from this you'll see some obvious gaps.  I say nothing concrete about UI or multi-media or education.  I don't spend any significant time in these areas and they're not my expertise (even though I'm a fitfully active musician).  But I love what has been done in this area and want to support others in achieving this.  For example, I'd love to see eToys above Cog.  So the above 6 points are my "platform" :).

I'd love to see Etoys load into Squeak over *any* VM! And I'm pretty sure Bert is into this too. Oh, this year is better than fantasy football!

So if you haven't voted already and the above resonates with you either consonantly or dissonantly, please VOTE!  You can put me below the "None of the below" line just as well as above it.

I put you over my head. Working on that, but you're still way over my head. I meant on the ballot, but also the other thing. Not that I'm hating it or anything!

Have fun! David

Thank you.
--
best,
Eliot

64-bit VMs (was: [squeak-dev] I'm running)

David T. Lewis
On Sat, Feb 02, 2013 at 07:17:35AM -0800, Casey Ransberger wrote:
> Oh cool! Gobbledygook inline.
>
> On Feb 1, 2013, at 10:16 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > d) provide new high-quality 64-bit and 32-bit implementations based around a new object representation and garbage collector in the VM and increase the performance of the VM by at least a factor of two (this is my personal focus for 2013).
>
> You talking about the stack VM going 64-bit? If so keep talking. If not, I should do more homework before replying.

I don't know if I am helping or hurting, but FWIW I have been slowly merging
Eliot's oscog work into trunk VMMaker in hopes of getting to the point of being
able to build both stack and interpreter VMs that can be compiled as 32 or 64
bit VMs and that can support 32 and 64 bit object memory. This would be for stack
interpreter only, not Cog, and it remains to be seen if this will be of any real
help for future Cog development. Meanwhile is is helping to keep primitives and
plugins synchronized between the two VMMaker branches.

Dave

Re: 64-bit VMs (was: [squeak-dev] I'm running)

timrowledge

On 02-02-2013, at 7:43 AM, "David T. Lewis" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Meanwhile is is helping to keep primitives and
> plugins synchronized between the two VMMaker branches.

Sad Internet  Cat is sad that there are two branches.

tim
Useful random insult:- Monorail doesn't go all the way to Tomorrowland.

On Sat, Feb 02, 2013 at 10:12:31AM -0800, tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 02-02-2013, at 7:43 AM, "David T. Lewis" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >  Meanwhile is is helping to keep primitives and
> > plugins synchronized between the two VMMaker branches.
>

> Sad Internet  Cat is sad that there are two branches.

If we didn't have two branches, then we would not have Cog at all, so
don't be sad about that :)

Yes it would be nice if we had more progress on merging the VMMaker
and platform sources branches, but it takes work. And the trouble with
work is that somebody has to actually do it.

I took my old Harley apart 20 years ago thinking it would be easy to
put it back together. But sometimes putting things back together takes
longer than you expected when you took them apart.

Dave

Re: I'm running

dcorking
On Feb 1, 2013, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> you didn't :)  The election whooshed past. But my priorities are ...

Thanks, Eliot. You got my vote!

I wonder if the current board should send an election notice to ESUG,
uk-smalltalk, the Spanish language list, Facebook and LinkedIn to get
more turnout.

Have fun! David