I need an idea. I know you have some. Give.

I need an idea. I know you have some. Give.

Casey Ransberger-2
Hello Squeakers!

My job search is turning up dead ends, hurry up and wait, and unfathomably boring prospects.

Screw all that! I want to do something cool.

I'm thinking about doing a KickStarter, but almost all of my ideas are either a) stuff no one else wants which only I could possibly think would be cool, or b) overly ambitious. The words Andreas used to describe my last idea: "a bit grandiose." Gift for understatement at times.

So I'm looking for something which could be completed by one or two geeks in six months to a year, which people actually want, to be implemented (at least in part) using Squeak, and to be released at the end under the MIT license.

I've floored my expenses, so I can make my own labor (relatively, for a guy living in Seattle) very cheap. By floored, I mean the room I sleep in isn't even tall enough to stand up in -- I do not presently meet the definition of a free-range chicken -- and I've disconnected my cellular service. I want to be an efficient engine for getting things that matter to me and other people done, rather than go on being some tool used to ship lucrative enterprise crapware.

So here's the $x question: what do you want me to do? I have a Raspberry Pi on order, so bonus points if you can work that in somehow.

The person with the best (realistic) idea will be credited for it.

Inspire me! And thanks for reading all the way down to the bottom of this message.

Casey

Re: I need an idea. I know you have some. Give.

Angel Java Lopez
Umm.... I don't know the "state-of-the-art" in Squeak, but one thing I implemented that it was useful for my projects (in Node.js), was something like RPC (remote procedure call), or in terms of Smalltalk, send a message to other machine, specifying the target object (by id?), selector and serialized arguments. In my case, Node.js ecosystem already had such implementations, I wrote my own to practice.

But if it is a relatively "brave new world" in Smalltalk/Squeak (note that you can implement a protocol, to have client/servers in different Smalltalk protocols).

At Smalltalks 2011 (Entre Rios, Argentina) I attended to a talk about the future of Pharo, where it was briefly mentioned Distributed Smalltalk. But I don't sure what is it, or its status.

I'm wrote something alike the above description, but only in my C# VM implementation:

My interests in distributed apps:

Angel "Java" Lopez
@ajlopez

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 3:48 AM, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Below, with my original message deleted for brevity.

On Mar 8, 2013, at 2:20 AM, Angel Java Lopez <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I really don't think Squeak is the state of the art, so we don't have to worry about that part. VPRI will probably take care of that for us in the long run. But that's a research system and we have a rock solid system NOW that we can apply to real problems. How lucky and priveledged are we? I'd say: pretty damned lucky.

Re: I need an idea. I know you have some. Give.

Angel Java Lopez
Ah! I apologize my bad English.

I want to say "I don't know the "state-of-the-art" of the proposed topic: RPC-like library". Maybe there is a superduper library that already tackled that problem/solution. I don't know.

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 7:29 AM, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
Below, with my original message deleted for brevity.

Re: I need an idea. I know you have some. Give.

Angel Java Lopez
Another approach to explore, I discussed in another Spanish Squeak list:

Write the dnode protocol for Squeak/Smalltalk

and then, voile, you have access to a lot of node applications/ecosystem (and I say A LOT)

Node can run in a Raspberry Pi, too.

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 7:31 AM, Angel Java Lopez <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ah! I apologize my bad English.

I want to say "I don't know the "state-of-the-art" of the proposed topic: RPC-like library". Maybe there is a superduper library that already tackled that problem/solution. I don't know.

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 7:29 AM, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
Below, with my original message deleted for brevity.

Re: I need an idea. I know you have some. Give.

Angel Java Lopez
Can you run Squeak in Raspberry?

Then, write a library to use:

It looks interesting.

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 8:06 AM, Angel Java Lopez <[hidden email]> wrote:
Another approach to explore, I discussed in another Spanish Squeak list:

Write the dnode protocol for Squeak/Smalltalk

and then, voile, you have access to a lot of node applications/ecosystem (and I say A LOT)

Node can run in a Raspberry Pi, too.

Re: I need an idea. I know you have some. Give.

Casey Ransberger-2
Hey Angel, please see my second message. My phone thwarted what I was trying to say. I actually liked your idea but I wanted to point at the work David Ungar has already done.

While I'm at it, I think it's worth looking at the work Igor Stasenko (please forgive if I've misspelled, Igor) has done with the Hydra VM too. Unfortunately, I can't find Igor's email for all my inbox searching but it's something like [hidden email]

Help me find Pharo guy? I don't care what color our browsers are, friends are still friends.

On Mar 8, 2013, at 2:31 AM, Angel Java Lopez <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ah! I apologize my bad English.

I want to say "I don't know the "state-of-the-art" of the proposed topic: RPC-like library". Maybe there is a superduper library that already tackled that problem/solution. I don't know.

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 7:29 AM, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
Below, with my original message deleted for brevity.

Re: I need an idea. I know you have some. Give.

Frank Shearar-3
On 8 March 2013 11:14, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Angel, please see my second message. My phone thwarted what I was trying
> to say. I actually liked your idea but I wanted to point at the work David
> Ungar has already done.
>
> While I'm at it, I think it's worth looking at the work Igor Stasenko
> (please forgive if I've misspelled, Igor) has done with the Hydra VM too.
> Unfortunately, I can't find Igor's email for all my inbox searching but it's
> something like [hidden email].
>
> Help me find Pharo guy? I don't care what color our browsers are, friends
> are still friends.

[hidden email]

frank

On 8 March 2013 11:11, Angel Java Lopez <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can you run Squeak in Raspberry?
>
> Then, write a library to use:
>
> http://mindchunk.blogspot.com.ar/2012/09/openvg-on-raspberry-pi.html
>
> It looks interesting.

It runs both on Linux on a Pi, and RISC OS on a Pi.

frank

> On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 8:06 AM, Angel Java Lopez <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Another approach to explore, I discussed in another Spanish Squeak list:
>>
>> Write the dnode protocol for Squeak/Smalltalk
>> https://github.com/substack/dnode#dnode-in-other-languages
>>
>> and then, voile, you have access to a lot of node applications/ecosystem
>> (and I say A LOT)
>>
>> Node can run in a Raspberry Pi, too.

Re: I need an idea. I know you have some. Give.

Juan Vuletich-4
This could be a great way to run Morphic 3 in less capable hardware, that could be too slow for the all-software engine.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

On 3/8/2013 8:11 AM, Angel Java Lopez wrote:
Can you run Squeak in Raspberry?

Then, write a library to use:

It looks interesting.

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 8:06 AM, Angel Java Lopez <[hidden email]> wrote:
Another approach to explore, I discussed in another Spanish Squeak list:

Write the dnode protocol for Squeak/Smalltalk

and then, voile, you have access to a lot of node applications/ecosystem (and I say A LOT)

Node can run in a Raspberry Pi, too.

Re: I need an idea. I know you have some. Give.

Jerry Bell-3
I would love to see an open source DabbleDB clone.

DabbleDB was a really wonderful and unique system which was sadly lost
when Twitter bought the company and shut the service down.   It was a
great example of really powerful software built in Squeak.

It >might< be possible to get Twitter to open source the original
code.  My understanding is that the company was purchased more for
their Trendly product and for the expertise of the Smallthought
Systems team in general.   Regardless, there is enough public
information out there from Avi to understand the basic architecture of
the system, and enough demos to understand how the user interface
worked.   IMHO, it's a fascinating architecture and well worth
learning about whether you actually pursue the project or not.

It would be an ambitious project.   But this sort of project, with
potential appeal to a much larger group than just Squeak developers,
might be more successful at raising funding on KickStarter than an
enhancement to Squeak itself.

-Jerry

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 12:48 AM, Casey Ransberger
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Squeakers!
>
> My job search is turning up dead ends, hurry up and wait, and unfathomably boring prospects.
>
> Screw all that! I want to do something cool.
>
> I'm thinking about doing a KickStarter, but almost all of my ideas are either a) stuff no one else wants which only I could possibly think would be cool, or b) overly ambitious. The words Andreas used to describe my last idea: "a bit grandiose." Gift for understatement at times.
>
> So I'm looking for something which could be completed by one or two geeks in six months to a year, which people actually want, to be implemented (at least in part) using Squeak, and to be released at the end under the MIT license.
>
> I've floored my expenses, so I can make my own labor (relatively, for a guy living in Seattle) very cheap. By floored, I mean the room I sleep in isn't even tall enough to stand up in -- I do not presently meet the definition of a free-range chicken -- and I've disconnected my cellular service. I want to be an efficient engine for getting things that matter to me and other people done, rather than go on being some tool used to ship lucrative enterprise crapware.
>
> So here's the $x question: what do you want me to do? I have a Raspberry Pi on order, so bonus points if you can work that in somehow.
>
> The person with the best (realistic) idea will be credited for it.
>
> Inspire me! And thanks for reading all the way down to the bottom of this message.
>
> Casey

Re: I need an idea. I know you have some. Give.

Casey Ransberger-2
Hi Jerry,

I miss DabbleDB too, in part because it was an obvious goto whenever anyone would ask me, "so what is Smalltalk good for?"

It would be cool if Twitter open sourced it, but pretty hard to replicate without being able to poke at the original to see how it would behave. Dabble did lots of very, very clever things around recognizing patterns in input, etc.

You're right in that it would potentially have a broader audience than just the Smalltalk community. It's something I'd love to see, but the bottom line for me is: I doubt I can replicate it without having a reference point.

But that doesn't necessarily have to mean a full stop. There's a site called change.org which can be used to at least make the relevant parties aware that there is a demand. It's kind of like a KickStarter for petitions.

Here's an example:

http://www.change.org/petitions/renew-tron-uprising

I don't think I have Avi's current email address, but if anyone does, it might make sense to reach out to him as well.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello Squeakers!
>
> My job search is turning up dead ends, hurry up and wait, and unfathomably boring prospects.
>
> Screw all that! I want to do something cool.
>
> I'm thinking about doing a KickStarter, but almost all of my ideas are either a) stuff no one else wants which only I could possibly think would be cool, or b) overly ambitious. The words Andreas used to describe my last idea: "a bit grandiose." Gift for understatement at times.
>
> So I'm looking for something which could be completed by one or two geeks in six months to a year, which people actually want, to be implemented (at least in part) using Squeak, and to be released at the end under the MIT license.
>
> I've floored my expenses, so I can make my own labor (relatively, for a guy living in Seattle) very cheap. By floored, I mean the room I sleep in isn't even tall enough to stand up in -- I do not presently meet the definition of a free-range chicken -- and I've disconnected my cellular service. I want to be an efficient engine for getting things that matter to me and other people done, rather than go on being some tool used to ship lucrative enterprise crapware.
>
> So here's the $x question: what do you want me to do? I have a Raspberry Pi on order, so bonus points if you can work that in somehow.
>
> The person with the best (realistic) idea will be credited for it.
>
> Inspire me! And thanks for reading all the way down to the bottom of this message.
>
> Casey

Casey Ransberger