I still don't understand how this work

Mariano Martinez Peck
I took a clean pharo1.0-10502-rc1dev09.12.2. I open Monticello Browser, and of course, there is no dirty (modified) package. I select the package OB-Standard, then select the repo http://source.wiresong.ca/ob , and click on changes

1) First, I would expect to have no changes with an Image I have just downloaded, without doing nothing and even when Monticello Browser showed me there is no dirty package.

But.....this showed me several changes!!!

Re: I still don't understand how this work

Mariano Martinez Peck
shortcuts....

I took a clean pharo1.0-10502-rc1dev09.12.2. I open Monticello Browser, and of course, there is no dirty (modified) package. I select the package OB-Standard, then select the repo http://source.wiresong.ca/ob , and click on changes

1) First, I would expect to have no changes with an Image I have just downloaded, without doing nothing and even when Monticello Browser showed me there is no dirty package.

But.....this showed me several changes!!!

I attach a picture.

So....what's the problem here ?

2) In addition, after doing this, the MC Browser showed the package OB-Standard as dirty...but this was not done at the beggining!

Sorry, I am very frustated today :(

Cheers

Mariano

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 12:54 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
I took a clean pharo1.0-10502-rc1dev09.12.2. I open Monticello Browser, and of course, there is no dirty (modified) package. I select the package OB-Standard, then select the repo http://source.wiresong.ca/ob , and click on changes

1) First, I would expect to have no changes with an Image I have just downloaded, without doing nothing and even when Monticello Browser showed me there is no dirty package.

But.....this showed me several changes!!!

Picture 8.png (481K) Download Attachment

Re: I still don't understand how this work

Stéphane Ducasse
strange.

Stef
> So....what's the problem here ?
>
> 2) In addition, after doing this, the MC Browser showed the package OB-Standard as dirty...but this was not done at the beggining!
>

> Sorry, I am very frustated today :(

Just relax. :)
May be we should work on a chapter on SmallLint together :)

Re: I still don't understand how this work

Lukas Renggli
> But.....this showed me several changes!!!
>
> I attach a picture.
>
> So....what's the problem here ?

Looks like some other package (presumably O2-Standard) has overrides
in OB-Standard.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 10:08 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> But.....this showed me several changes!!!
>
> I attach a picture.
>
> So....what's the problem here ?

Looks like some other package (presumably O2-Standard) has overrides
in OB-Standard.

Ok...suppose this was the case (thanks for the explanation!)...shouldn't be "dirty" in the Monticello Browser???   Why after seeing the changes it is dirty? I think that anyway, this is a bug.

What do you think ?

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: I still don't understand how this work

Lukas Renggli
> Ok...suppose this was the case (thanks for the explanation!)...shouldn't be
> "dirty" in the Monticello Browser???   Why after seeing the changes it is
> dirty? I think that anyway, this is a bug.

Yeah, that's a long standing subtle bug in the change notification of
Monticello (class side of MCPackageManager). Treat the dirty flag as a
quick hint. You only get the proof if you calculate the changes.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ok...suppose this was the case (thanks for the explanation!)...shouldn't be
> "dirty" in the Monticello Browser???   Why after seeing the changes it is
> dirty? I think that anyway, this is a bug.

Yeah, that's a long standing subtle bug in the change notification of
Monticello (class side of MCPackageManager). Treat the dirty flag as a
quick hint. You only get the proof if you calculate the changes.

Thanks Lukas. I created the issue:

However, another problem is that suppose I want to commit a fix to OB-Standard, I cannot because I have also all those changes with me. I must take another image (core) and download OB again :(

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: I still don't understand how this work

Lukas Renggli
> However, another problem is that suppose I want to commit a fix to
> OB-Standard, I cannot because I have also all those changes with me. I must
> take another image (core) and download OB again :(

Yeah, that's another common reason for many broken commits in the
official repository.

I suggest that you create your own repository where you (and the ones
you trust) have write access and where you copy the versions that YOU
have tested and the YOU know to work. Otherwise you will never get rid
of these subtle problems. Public repositories (other than an inbox)
simply don't work for popular projects (see Pharo, Seaside).

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 10:54 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> However, another problem is that suppose I want to commit a fix to
> OB-Standard, I cannot because I have also all those changes with me. I must
> take another image (core) and download OB again :(

Yeah, that's another common reason for many broken commits in the
official repository.

Ahhhh ok...sounds like this a common "mistake" that is very easy to do.

I suggest that you create your own repository where you (and the ones
you trust) have write access and where you copy the versions that YOU
have tested and the YOU know to work. Otherwise you will never get rid
of these subtle problems. Public repositories (other than an inbox)
simply don't work for popular projects (see Pharo, Seaside).

Uffff  maybe  you are right :(
Colin was thinking about the samem about creating at least an inbox for OB.
I think this a very little a good step.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli