I updated the how to contribute web page

I updated the how to contribute web page

stephane ducasse
please comment :)
http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/HowToContribute

Re: I updated the how to contribute web page

hernanmd
Ok,

================
Here: "First and foremost, you must be aware that the Pharo project
only accepts code published under the MIT license. By publishing your
code in the SqueakSource Pharo or PharoInbox repositories, you are
agreeing to this condition. With that out of the way, here are the
steps to submit your contributions. "

Please provide a link which explain the implications of code published
under the MIT license. Or better, a little comparison table between
different licensing schemes.

================
Here: "If your change is directly related to a Mantis report, add the
label "Type-Mantis" and add the Mantis ticket number in front of the
subject. Else choose another appropriate label "

Please clarify or link to. Manits is the bugs.squeak.org right? It
should be named by what it is, and not by the tool which is used for
bug tracking (if they change their tool 10 times, you must update the
page 10 times)

understood as a legal term.

================
Here: "For complex changes use a slice since there is a much better
merging support. "

What is a complex change? (please include this information in the page too)

================
"Prepare a changeset with your changes. File it out. Important: Put
your Full name instead of your initials, it will help up to contact
you as it is often necessary. Do not use space and only alphabetical
characters. "

1) This is killing more than 50% of the habitants of the world :) What
happens with contributors without latin alphabet? how they setup their
system? (that should be included)

2) What is the problem with using space? If it is a limitation imposed
by a tool then the tool should be responsible of trimming all blanks,
not the users.

3) How do you distinguish between two John Smith? And how do you
contact contributors? (I've never wrote my e-mail or gmail user name
in a Pharo image).

4) Some brief explanation on how to create a changeset would be nice.

================
Finally, this information should be in all images. Better, provide a
wizard to guide this process, it sounds like a nice excercise to do a
standard window flow with Morphic.

Cheers,

Hernán

2010/7/5 stephane ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> please comment :)
> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/HowToContribute
>
> Stef

Re: I updated the how to contribute web page

Stéphane Ducasse
thanks hernan.
I will not have the time to edit the changes but this is important that we keep this information upto date and that
people can understand it.

Stef

On Jul 5, 2010, at 4:34 PM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:

> [...]

> by a tool then the tool should be responsible of trimming all blanks,
> not the users.
>
> 3) How do you distinguish between two John Smith? And how do you
> contact contributors? (I've never wrote my e-mail or gmail user name
> in a Pharo image).
>
> 4) Some brief explanation on how to create a changeset would be nice.
>
> ================
> Finally, this information should be in all images. Better, provide a
> wizard to guide this process, it sounds like a nice excercise to do a
> standard window flow with Morphic.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Hernán
>
> 2010/7/5 stephane ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>> please comment :)
>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/HowToContribute
>>
>> Stef

Re: I updated the how to contribute web page

laurent laffont
Hi,

Should we Cut / Paste from google project's wiki ?  (So we have only one source of documentation, that can be later integrated to HelpSystem).

Cheers,

Laurent Laffont

http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
http://magaloma.blogspot.com/

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 12:21 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> by a tool then the tool should be responsible of trimming all blanks,
> not the users.
>
> 3) How do you distinguish between two John Smith? And how do you
> contact contributors? (I've never wrote my e-mail or gmail user name
> in a Pharo image).
>
> 4) Some brief explanation on how to create a changeset would be nice.
>
> ================
> Finally, this information should be in all images. Better, provide a
> wizard to guide this process, it sounds like a nice excercise to do a
> standard window flow with Morphic.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Hernán
>
> 2010/7/5 stephane ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>> please comment :)
>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/HowToContribute
>>
>> Stef

Re: I updated the how to contribute web page

this is a good idea.
I should do a pass on hernan feedback
and the help is also a good idea.

Stef

On Jul 6, 2010, at 9:48 AM, laurent laffont wrote:

> [...]
> > by a tool then the tool should be responsible of trimming all blanks,
> > not the users.
> >
> > 3) How do you distinguish between two John Smith? And how do you
> > contact contributors? (I've never wrote my e-mail or gmail user name
> > in a Pharo image).
> >
> > 4) Some brief explanation on how to create a changeset would be nice.
> >
> > ================
> > Finally, this information should be in all images. Better, provide a
> > wizard to guide this process, it sounds like a nice excercise to do a
> > standard window flow with Morphic.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Hernán
> >
> > 2010/7/5 stephane ducasse <[hidden email]>:
> >> please comment :)
> >> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/HowToContribute
> >>
> >> Stef

Re: I updated the how to contribute web page

laurent I did a pass on the wiki and I suggest that we removed it from the wiki and put it on the book and ideally in the help :)