IE6

Ian Bartholomew-4
I installed the beta of IE6 the other day and have just discovered that all
web deployed applications appear to have stopped working, tested with the
examples on the OA web site and my own.  No error messages, just a blank
space where the application should appear on the web page.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled the Dolphin plugin (4.01) and that doesn't
appear to have made any difference, neither does redeploying my pak file
using 4.01

Anyone else noticed or am I doing something wrong?

Ian

Re: IE6

Eliot Miranda
Ian Bartholomew wrote:

> I installed the beta of IE6 the other day and have just discovered that all
> web deployed applications appear to have stopped working, tested with the
> examples on the OA web site and my own.  No error messages, just a blank
> space where the application should appear on the web page.
>
> I have uninstalled/reinstalled the Dolphin plugin (4.01) and that doesn't
> appear to have made any difference, neither does redeploying my pak file
> using 4.01
>
> Anyone else noticed or am I doing something wrong?

You're doing something wrong; you're using Microsoft software :)

Seriously, have you noticed how many web sites have been sabotaged so
they only work with IE and show blank screens with Netscape and others?
MS is just trying to make sure that only its stuff (or rather the stuff
it gets money for) works; screw everyone else.  A standard technique
they use is to make constant incompatible changes to their platforms and
applications, ensuring that only those developers that pledge slavish
allegiance and pay attention to the endless advance releases and
technology previews have a chance of releasing their applications in a
functional state when new releases are finally made public.

What's really interesting about your message though is that either you
suspect Dolphin of something not Microsoft, or that you think you've got
a better chance of getting your problem solved asking the Dolphin
community than Microsoft.  After all, on the face of it what's changed
is Internet Explorer, not Dolphin.  So why didn't you enquire with MS
whether IE6 was broken?

MS has won when everyone else has to support their broken crap because
they can spend time making sure everything not MS is broken while
everyone else wastes their time either fixing MS's crap or trying to
keep their own stuff alive there-on.  MS has been doing this for years;
making good money selling services to fix bugs on their platforms and
keep customers without the horse sense or independence to find other
more reliable platforms shelling out.

Sad.

--
_______________,,,^..^,,,____________________________
Eliot Miranda              Smalltalk - Scene not herd

Re: IE6

Andy Bower
Ian,

> I installed the beta of IE6 the other day and have just discovered that
all
> web deployed applications appear to have stopped working, tested with the
> examples on the OA web site and my own.  No error messages, just a blank
> space where the application should appear on the web page.
>
> I have uninstalled/reinstalled the Dolphin plugin (4.01) and that doesn't
> appear to have made any difference, neither does redeploying my pak file
> using 4.01

It does appear that the IE6 beta (preview) is broken, at least when running
under Win2K. Fortunately, IE6 under Windows XP is working okay. It appears
that the IE6 beta is not recognising the NPDolphin plugin DLL. I tried the
usual tricks (listed below) to try and prod it into action but to no avail.
We've often found IE to be a little temperamental in the area of detecting a
plugin and registering the MIME type and extensions so you may want to try
mucking about with these ideas to see if we've missed something.

Tricks --
Use REGEDIT to remove the following keys:

HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Plugins/Extension/.pak
HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Internet
Explorer/Plugins/MIME/application/x-dolphin-applet

This usually forced IE to re-register the extension and MIME types
associated with the plugins that it finds. You can also try
uninstalling/reinstalling at this point too. Unfortunately, this did not
work for me.  I wonder if it's a new "security" thing?

Fortunately, the Squeak plugin (www.squeakland.com) appears broken too, so
it's not just Dolphin ;-)

Best Regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
http://www.object-arts.com
---
Are you trying too hard?
http://www.object-arts.com/Relax.htm
---

Re: IE6

Andy Bower
Ian,

> It does appear that the IE6 beta (preview) is broken, at least when
running
> under Win2K. Fortunately, IE6 under Windows XP is working okay. It appears
> that the IE6 beta is not recognising the NPDolphin plugin DLL. I tried the
> usual tricks (listed below) to try and prod it into action but to no
avail.
> We've often found IE to be a little temperamental in the area of detecting

> plugin and registering the MIME type and extensions so you may want to try
> mucking about with these ideas to see if we've missed something.
>
> Tricks --
> Use REGEDIT to remove the following keys:
>
> HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Plugins/Extension/.pak
> HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Internet
> Explorer/Plugins/MIME/application/x-dolphin-applet
>
> This usually forced IE to re-register the extension and MIME types
> associated with the plugins that it finds. You can also try
> uninstalling/reinstalling at this point too. Unfortunately, this did not
> work for me.  I wonder if it's a new "security" thing?
>
> Fortunately, the Squeak plugin (www.squeakland.com) appears broken too, so
> it's not just Dolphin ;-)

You (and others) may like to try submitting this as a bug to the IE6 preview
team. Presumably, the more people who do, the more chance we have of getting
it fixed for the final release. There is an online bug submission form at:

http://131.107.85.107/ie6beta/

In the meantime, bye bye IE6.

Best Regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
http://www.object-arts.com
---
Are you trying too hard?
http://www.object-arts.com/Relax.htm
---

[OT] Microsoft bug submission, was Re: IE6

Bob Jarvis-2
"Andy Bower" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:9h8pvr$ch0lt$[hidden email]...
> You (and others) may like to try submitting this as a bug to the IE6
preview
> team. Presumably, the more people who do, the more chance we have of
getting
> it fixed for the final release. There is an online bug submission form at:
>
> http://131.107.85.107/ie6beta/

(OK, OK, I know - I should resist.  I should be strong.  I really
should...<sigh>...)

<sound of phone ringing>
Voice on phone:  Thank you for calling Microsoft's IE6 Bug Submission
Hotline.  If you have a new bug you'd like to submit, press one.  If you
wish to check on the status of an existing bug, press two.  If you would
like to be disconnected immediately, press three.  If you'd like to be
abused prior to being disconnected, press four.  Otherwise please stay on
the line - your call is important to us.  We will ignore your call in the
order in which it was received.
<BEEEP!>
You pressed one.  Please stay one the line.  One of our Bug Support
technicians will be with you shortly.
<sound of Montovanni recording drones endlessly, then...>
Voice on phone: Thank you for calling Microsoft, this is Greg.  I don't work
for Microsoft and earn slightly less than minimum wage so don't press your
luck with me, bucko.  What sort of bug would you like to submit?
Developer:  Well, I think that a really neat bug that you could put into IE6
would be to have it ignore any script in any language not supplied by
Microsoft.
Greg:  You're really a drooling, idiotic Microsoft drone, aren't you?
Developer:  Yup, that's me.  Bill Gates is my hero.
Greg:  Yeah, well, he's shorter in person, y'know.  Hmmm...lessee
here...nope, sorry, that one's already in the preview.
Developer:  Oh.  Golly.
Greg:  Hey, better luck next time.  By the way, we're billing you $60 bucks.
Developer:  That's cool!  Last time I only got charged $30.
Greg:  Did you have anything else?
Developer:  Well...
Greg:  C'mon, man, spit it out.  I get paid by the call, OK?
Developer:  Sorry.  I was just thinking that you could have IE6 melt down
the CPU of anyone who connects to a site which isn't running Microsoft
Internet Information Server.
Greg:  Hmmm...  You mean, even if the server is running an MS operating
system?
Developer:  Well, yeah...  You can do that, right?  I mean, Microsoft can do
*anything*!
Greg:  Yeah.  Cool.  I'll put that in.  Melt them damn CPUs, dude!
Developer:  How much will I get billed for that one
Greg:  I'll charge you a full $120 for that one, man.  Great bug!
Developer:  Thanks.
Greg:  Now, get off my line, I've got more people to abuse.
Developer:  OK.  'bye!
Greg:  <click>  Loser.  <sigh>  Hey, can someone give me a hand over here -
I'm still a bit rusty on Linux...

> In the meantime, bye bye IE6.

You can uninstall any time you like, but it will never leave...
--
Bob Jarvis

Re: IE6

Ian Bartholomew-4
Andy,

> Use REGEDIT to remove the following keys:
>
> HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Plugins/Extension/.pak
> HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Internet
> Explorer/Plugins/MIME/application/x-dolphin-applet
>
> This usually forced IE to re-register the extension and MIME types
> associated with the plugins that it finds. You can also try
> uninstalling/reinstalling at this point too. Unfortunately, this did not
> work for me.

It looks like this might be the problem area. I uninstalled the plugin and
then checked the registry for the above - they were not present. I then
reinstalled the plugin from scratch and checked the registry again but the
above keys still did not appear. I then did a full search of the registry
and found no references to "x-dolphin-applet" and ".pak" only appears in
connection with registered file-types (WindowsExplorer style).  It appears
that installing the 4.01 plugin does not register it as well?

Is there a way of getting the installation to create a log file? It might
show something.

> I wonder if it's a new "security" thing?

I wondered about the security stuff as well but setting up a security
profile that allowed _everything_ didn't work either!

Regards
    Ian

Re: IE6

Ian Bartholomew-4
> It appears that installing the 4.01 plugin does not register it as well?

I've got that the wrong way round haven't I?. I originally thought the
plugin installation added the registry entries and IE picked them up from
there. I'm now guessing it's the other way round - the installer just copies
the plugin dll to where IE find it and IE then updates the registry for
itself?

FWIW, The read-me for IE6 (the last place I think of looking <g>) includes
the following. It looks like plugin support may not be included for W2K yet,
which would explain why the XP version works.

=~=~=~=~=

Installing over Windows 2000 Releases
-------------------------------------
Typical and Full installs are not currently available for
Windows 2000. Internet Explorer 6 Public Preview will install
a minimal set of files onto your system. This includes the
Internet Explorer 6 Public Preview Web browser and scripting
support.

=~=~=~=~=

Ian

Re: IE6

Andy Bower
Ian,

> > Use REGEDIT to remove the following keys:
> >
> > HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Plugins/Extension/.pak
> > HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Internet
> > Explorer/Plugins/MIME/application/x-dolphin-applet
> >
> > This usually forced IE to re-register the extension and MIME types
> > associated with the plugins that it finds. You can also try
> > uninstalling/reinstalling at this point too. Unfortunately, this did not
> > work for me.
>
> It looks like this might be the problem area. I uninstalled the plugin and
> then checked the registry for the above - they were not present. I then
> reinstalled the plugin from scratch and checked the registry again but the
> above keys still did not appear. I then did a full search of the registry
> and found no references to "x-dolphin-applet" and ".pak" only appears in
> connection with registered file-types (WindowsExplorer style).  It appears
> that installing the 4.01 plugin does not register it as well?
>
> Is there a way of getting the installation to create a log file? It might
> show something.

These keys are not meant to be created by the installer (at least they
weren't in previous versions). They are created by IE when it detects the
plugin as it loads. Presumably IE reads the version info in the plugin DLL
and uses the MIME type and extension information to create these keys. It is
true, though, that these keys are required when IE comes to launch an applet
with a given file extension. If they are not there then the applet will not
be displayed.

 From this, and the fact that IE6 doesn't seem to create these keys, I would
say that it is not detecting the plugin. Perhaps, it is expecting to look in
another directory?

Best Regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
http://www.object-arts.com
---
Are you trying too hard?
http://www.object-arts.com/Relax.htm
---

Re: IE6

Andy Bower
Ian,

> > It appears that installing the 4.01 plugin does not register it as well?
>
> I've got that the wrong way round haven't I?. I originally thought the
> plugin installation added the registry entries and IE picked them up from
> there. I'm now guessing it's the other way round - the installer just
copies
> the plugin dll to where IE find it and IE then updates the registry for
> itself?

That's right.

> FWIW, The read-me for IE6 (the last place I think of looking <g>) includes
> the following. It looks like plugin support may not be included for W2K
yet,

> which would explain why the XP version works.
>
> =~=~=~=~=
>
> Installing over Windows 2000 Releases
> -------------------------------------
> Typical and Full installs are not currently available for
> Windows 2000. Internet Explorer 6 Public Preview will install
> a minimal set of files onto your system. This includes the
> Internet Explorer 6 Public Preview Web browser and scripting
> support.
>
> =~=~=~=~=

Ah, maybe this explains it. And after all those horrid things that were said
about Microsoft....

Best Regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
http://www.object-arts.com
---
Are you trying too hard?
http://www.object-arts.com/Relax.htm
---

Re: IE6

Paul Hudson
<FX: Paul expires, having been kicked to death by all those jerking knees
:-)>