IE8 compatibility

laurent laffont
Hi,

Amber does not load in IE8 because of broken implementation of Object.defineProperty (used in boot.js). Any workaround ?

Cheers,

Laurent

Re: IE8 compatibility

Nicolas Petton

Yes, the dev version will require es5-shim to work on legacy browsers:
https://github.com/kriskowal/es5-shim

Nico

Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: IE8 compatibility

laurent laffont
Hi Nico,

thanks for the tip. I've managed to make it works (I had to modify es5-sham.js ... strange... but I'm not familiar with shims).

So now Amber IDE works again even in IE7. I don't know if you want to have this in master. BTW, here are the commits: https://github.com/lolgzs/amber/commits/es5-shim-integration

Cheers,

Laurent (back to Amber for a few days :)

--
Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: IE8 compatibility

Nicolas Petton

Glad to know that it works. If you can send me a pull request, I'll
integrat it.

Cheers!

Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: IE8 compatibility

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Nicolas Petton wrote
Yes, the dev version will require es5-shim to work on legacy browsers:
https://github.com/kriskowal/es5-shim
I got a bunch of errors (listed below) when loading my app in IE8. I found this thread and thought it may be the same problem, but I checked my bower_components/ and found that es5-shim seems to already be installed. Although I see that Laurent said he had to apply a fix to integrate...

Any ideas what's going wrong here? And how shall I proceed?

Thanks

Webpage error details
User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; InfoPath.2; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET4.0C)
Timestamp: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 02:44:15 UTC

Message: 'jQuery' is undefined
bower_components/jquery/jquery-migrate.js

Message: 'jstree' is null or not an object
bower_components/jstree/dist/jstree.min.js

Message: 'jQuery' is undefined
js/splitter.js

Message: 'undefined' is null or not an object
bower_components/jquery-ui/jquery-ui.min.js

Message: 'jQuery' is undefined
bower_components/jquery-tabby/jquery.textarea.js

Message: Load timeout for modules: amber_lib/codemirror/mode/smalltalk/smalltalk,amber_lib/codemirror/addon/hint/show-hint
http://requirejs.org/docs/errors.html#timeout
bower_components/amber/support/requirejs/require.min.js

Message: Object required
bower_components/amber/support/requirejs/require.min.js

Message: Object required
bower_components/amber/support/requirejs/require.min.js

Message: Object required
bower_components/amber/support/requirejs/require.min.js

Message: Object required
bower_components/amber/support/requirejs/require.min.js
Cheers,
Sean

RE: IE8 compatibility

laci
This post was updated on .
Struggled a lot with that.
Play with this meta tag - see link below.
Setting IE to edge works fine with jQuery 2 on IE 11. Make sure to declare the meta tag before you load any files, i.e. Place it following the <head>.
Good luck.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6156639/x-ua-compatible-is-set-to-ie-edge-but-it-still-doesnt-stop-compatibility-mode

Re: IE8 compatibility

Herby Vojčík
Aren't you using jQuery 2? It is only aimed at modern browsers, so maybe even es5-shim is not enough for it (if that's the case, add manual constraint to your project's bower.json by running `bower install jquery#^1 --save` to limit jQuery to versions 1.x.y).

"Sean P. DeNigris" <[hidden email]>napísal/a:

>Nicolas Petton wrote
>> Yes, the dev version will require es5-shim to work on legacy browsers:
>> https://github.com/kriskowal/es5-shim
>
>I got a bunch of errors (listed below) when loading my app in IE8. I found
>this thread and thought it may be the same problem, but I checked my
>bower_components/ and found that es5-shim seems to already be installed.
>Although I see that Laurent said he had to apply a fix to integrate...
>
>Any ideas what's going wrong here? And how shall I proceed?
>
>Thanks
>
>Webpage error details
>User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0;
>.NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR
>3.0.04506.648; InfoPath.2; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729;
>.NET4.0C)
>Timestamp: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 02:44:15 UTC
>
>Message: 'jQuery' is undefined
>bower_components/jquery/jquery-migrate.js
>
>Message: 'jstree' is null or not an object
>bower_components/jstree/dist/jstree.min.js
>
>Message: 'jQuery' is undefined
>js/splitter.js
>
>Message: 'undefined' is null or not an object
>bower_components/jquery-ui/jquery-ui.min.js
>
>Message: 'jQuery' is undefined
>bower_components/jquery-tabby/jquery.textarea.js
>
>Message: Load timeout for modules:
>amber_lib/codemirror/mode/smalltalk/smalltalk,amber_lib/codemirror/addon/hint/show-hint
>http://requirejs.org/docs/errors.html#timeout
>bower_components/amber/support/requirejs/require.min.js
>
>Message: Object required
>bower_components/amber/support/requirejs/require.min.js
>
>Message: Object required
>bower_components/amber/support/requirejs/require.min.js
>
>Message: Object required
>bower_components/amber/support/requirejs/require.min.js
>
>Message: Object required
>bower_components/amber/support/requirejs/require.min.js
>

>-----
>Cheers,
>Sean

Re: IE8 compatibility

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Herby Vojčík wrote
Aren't you using jQuery 2? It is only aimed at modern browsers, so maybe even es5-shim is not enough for it
Ah, after some googling, that seems likely. Thanks.
Cheers,
Sean