IE8

Herby Vojčík
Hello!

As Microsoft ended the lifecycle of IE8, IE9 and IE10, do you think
Amber should abandon IE8 support (all tests still pass in IE11 in IE8
mode; so you can run Amber on IE8, but not develop
(https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/issues/1178).

IE8 does not allow `{ get prop: function () ... }` syntax not does it
properly does `Object.create(null)` and
`Object.create(the_global_object)`, which was stopping some movement
forward. OTOH, maybe it is cool to be IE8+, not just IE9+ (IE8 is last
version of IE working on Windows XP).

What do you think?

Herby

Re: IE8

Mir S.
As long as we implement some check so the developer doesn't have to worry about people trying to. If should refuse to run and display a centered text asking the user to visit using another browser. (Not an alert window, those are annoying)

On XP most people have dual browsers with either Chrome or Firefox. IE 8 is there just for compatibility and should be treated as such.

Pe 11 ian. 2016, la 18:11, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> a scris:

> Hello!
>
> As Microsoft ended the lifecycle of IE8, IE9 and IE10, do you think Amber should abandon IE8 support (all tests still pass in IE11 in IE8 mode; so you can run Amber on IE8, but not develop (https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/issues/1178).
>
> IE8 does not allow `{ get prop: function () ... }` syntax not does it properly does `Object.create(null)` and `Object.create(the_global_object)`, which was stopping some movement forward. OTOH, maybe it is cool to be IE8+, not just IE9+ (IE8 is last version of IE working on Windows XP).
>
> What do you think?
>
> Herby

Re: IE8

Hannes Hirzel
As for me moving forward is fine. However compatibility with browsers
on Android is important as well.

-- Hannes