IMAP in Pharo

cedreek
Hi all,

Do you know if IMAP is possible in Pharo ? I havent found any implementation (quick search).
I’d like to have it to interact/filter my email. POP3 is not really possible.

I think it would be a nice addition and maybe a good GSOC project ?

Cheers,

Cédrick

It exists in GNU-Smalltalk but don’t look at ti, its GPL :-)

Re: IMAP in Pharo

Vincent Blondeau

Hi Cedrik,

I started something to deal with this as side project: https://github.com/VincentBlondeau/IMAPClient

It is at a very early development state. I took a SS3 project (http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Gotchas/IMAP-Client) andbegan to improve it.

Don’t hesitate to fork and add some PRs

Cheers,

Vincent

It exists in GNU-Smalltalk but don’t look at ti, its GPL :-)

Re: IMAP in Pharo

cedreek
Hi Veincent ;-),

Le 6 mars 2019 à 10:44, <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Hi Cedrik,

I started something to deal with this as side project: https://github.com/VincentBlondeau/IMAPClient
It is at a very early development state. I took a SS3 project (http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Gotchas/IMAP-Client) andbegan to improve it.

Nice, I will try.

Don’t hesitate to fork and add some PRs

Still havent get my head around this FORK/PR cycle but I will for sure one day :)

I’ll try it for sure btw.

Thx,

Cédrick

Cheers,
Vincent

It exists in GNU-Smalltalk but don’t look at ti, its GPL :-)

Re: IMAP in Pharo

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
cedreek wrote
> Still havent get my head around this FORK/PR cycle but I will for sure one
> day :)

It took me quite a while to grok. Fork = 'personal remote clone' and: [ PR =
'UI support for discussing, testing, and accepting commits' ]

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: IMAP in Pharo

Tim Mackinnon

On 6 Mar 2019, at 16:08, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

cedreek wrote
Still havent get my head around this FORK/PR cycle but I will for sure one
day :)

It took me quite a while to grok. Fork = 'personal remote clone' and: [ PR =
'UI support for discussing, testing, and accepting commits' ]

It took me even longer to realise that when you load your master branch - you still need to pull changes from the original unforked repository (into your local repository) and then push them back up to your fork, AND then branch to make a change. For ages I was was getting unrelated diff changes even though I thought I had started on “master”.

I’m hoping there will be a talk about all of this at Pharo Days. When you get it right its awesome - but when you take a mis-step its quite confusing until you realise what the pieces mean. (And I’m sure I still have the model wrong, but its fun learning more each day)

Tim

Re: IMAP in Pharo

cedreek

On 6 Mar 2019, at 16:08, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

cedreek wrote
Still havent get my head around this FORK/PR cycle but I will for sure one
day :)

It took me quite a while to grok. Fork = 'personal remote clone' and: [ PR =
'UI support for discussing, testing, and accepting commits’ ]

I got the basic idea but just need to dive in this ’troubling’ water ^^

Quite complex but I know this is powerful.

It took me even longer to realise that when you load your master branch - you still need to pull changes from the original unforked repository (into your local repository) and then push them back up to your fork, AND then branch to make a change. For ages I was was getting unrelated diff changes even though I thought I had started on “master”.

I’m hoping there will be a talk about all of this at Pharo Days. When you get it right its awesome - but when you take a mis-step its quite confusing until you realise what the pieces mean. (And I’m sure I still have the model wrong, but its fun learning more each day)

Yes this kind of small tips are really important to not being confused. And that is what’s confusing.

I think maybe what we miss would be a tutorial and a sandbox project so people can play with (quite intimidating to do his first PR the wrong way).

Cheers,

Cédrick

Tim

Re: IMAP in Pharo

Tim Mackinnon

On 7 Mar 2019, at 09:37, Cédrick Béler <[hidden email]> wrote:

I think maybe what we miss would be a tutorial and a sandbox project so people can play with (quite intimidating to do his first PR the wrong way).

Actually - when you take a deep breathe and plunge in, its not too bad. The steps here (https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/wiki/Contribute-a-fix-to-Pharo) are pretty good, the only caveat is you need to use a Pharo 8.0 image (not 7 like it says), as this makes it easier. I actually quite like the flow in Github for this kind of project, you can really see what is going on and also it gives you more widely applicable skills to boot. Highly encouraged.

Tim