IMPORTANT: ML Etiquette

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Dear all,

There were several posts in the "Beacon for Pharo 7" thread which top-posted
on top of massive unsnipped quotes that were several-previous-posts deep.
IMHO this made the conversation impossible to follow. This issue has cropped
up from time to time in other threads.

Please adhere to basic ML etiquette [1] to maximize our effectiveness. Two
essential guidelines are:
    1) snip quoted material to just what's necessary to understand what's
being replied to
    2) Post reply /after/ the quote from the OP, not before.

1.

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: IMPORTANT: ML Etiquette

Ben Coman

On 28 May 2018 at 11:48, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear all,

There were several posts in the "Beacon for Pharo 7" thread which top-posted
on top of massive unsnipped quotes that were several-previous-posts deep.
IMHO this made the conversation impossible to follow. This issue has cropped
up from time to time in other threads.

Please adhere to basic ML etiquette [1] to maximize our effectiveness. Two
essential guidelines are:
    1) snip quoted material to just what's necessary to understand what's
being replied to
    2) Post reply /after/ the quote from the OP, not before.

1.

e.g...

Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
>Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
>>The lost context.
>>>What makes top-posted replies harder to read than bottom-posted?

http://www.idallen.com/topposting.html

Part of the problem is the way gmail and other clients *hide* the original text behind three ellipses dots,
so its not immediately obvious how much a thread has grown.
Its good to make a habit of clicking those dots immediately after clicking <Reply>.

cheers -ben

Re: IMPORTANT: ML Etiquette

Tim Mackinnon
In a world of mobile phones, I think you have to accept top posting, it’s just too hard to work otherwise on a small screen ... that said, quoting a small piece to reply to - is doable, and I think we can all try to do that?

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

On 28 May 2018, at 07:26, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 28 May 2018 at 11:48, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear all,

There were several posts in the "Beacon for Pharo 7" thread which top-posted
on top of massive unsnipped quotes that were several-previous-posts deep.
IMHO this made the conversation impossible to follow. This issue has cropped
up from time to time in other threads.

Please adhere to basic ML etiquette [1] to maximize our effectiveness. Two
essential guidelines are:
    1) snip quoted material to just what's necessary to understand what's
being replied to
    2) Post reply /after/ the quote from the OP, not before.

1.

e.g...

Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
>Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
>>The lost context.
>>>What makes top-posted replies harder to read than bottom-posted?

http://www.idallen.com/topposting.html

Part of the problem is the way gmail and other clients *hide* the original text behind three ellipses dots,
so its not immediately obvious how much a thread has grown.
Its good to make a habit of clicking those dots immediately after clicking <Reply>.

cheers -ben

Re: IMPORTANT: ML Etiquette

Guillermo Polito

On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 1:40 PM, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
In a world of mobile phones, I think you have to accept top posting, it’s just too hard to work otherwise on a small screen ... that said, quoting a small piece to reply to - is doable, and I think we can all try to do that?

Nice example of top-posting xD

Tim

Re: IMPORTANT: ML Etiquette

Stephan Eggermont-3
Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
> In a world of mobile phones, I think you have to accept top posting, it’s
> just too hard to work otherwise on a small screen ... that said, quoting
> a small piece to reply to - is doable, and I think we can all try to do that?

I strongly prefer ML-etiquette.

> Sent from my iPhone

That supports NewsTap, which makes it easy to not top-post. I’m not sure
why lines are not broken though.

Stephan

Re: IMPORTANT: ML Etiquette

Tim Mackinnon

Sent from my iPhone
> On 28 May 2018, at 17:26, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Sent from my iPhone
>
> That supports NewsTap, which makes it easy to not top-post. I’m not sure
> why lines are not broken though.

I’ll try my best - but the normal iPhone mail client simply doesn’t work this way - it top posts. I think we’re on a losing battle with this one.

I do have a copy of NewsTap - I’ll try it again, but I recall mail is just more convenient.

I think Stef is possibly right - if we’re arguing about top vs bottom - we’re better off writing code instead - it possibly means a thread has gone in too long.

Tim

Re: IMPORTANT: ML Etiquette

Esteban A. Maringolo
On 28/05/2018 12:36, Tim Mackinnon wrote:
> Sent from my iPhone
>> On 28 May 2018, at 17:26, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Sent from my iPhone
>> That supports NewsTap, which makes it easy to not top-post. I’m not sure
>> why lines are not broken though.
>
> I’ll try my best - but the normal iPhone mail client simply doesn’t work this way - it top posts.

I'm fine with top posting. Even when a thread has both top and
in-between replies.

What really bothers me is that top posting "hides" the huge list of
replies at the bottom. So a two line, top posted reply is a 500 lines of
quoted email below. Top posting should be limited to one quoted email
only. Otherwise you need to start referencing things by letters/numbers
or better... reply below :)

> I think we’re on a losing battle with this one.

I agree. But I'm not giving it away without a fight :P

Regards,

Esteban A. Maringolo

> There were several posts in the "Beacon for Pharo 7" thread which top-posted
> on top of massive unsnipped quotes that were several-previous-posts deep.
> IMHO this made the conversation impossible to follow. This issue has cropped
> up from time to time in other threads.
>
> Please adhere to basic ML etiquette [1] to maximize our effectiveness. Two
> essential guidelines are:
>     1) snip quoted material to just what's necessary to understand what's
> being replied to
>     2) Post reply /after/ the quote from the OP, not before.

3) Use plain text. Disable any HTML formatting in your mail client.

___
montyos.wordpress.com