[IMPORTANT] PHARO CONTRIBUTION PROCESS UPDATED! PLEASE READ!

123

[IMPORTANT] PHARO CONTRIBUTION PROCESS UPDATED! PLEASE READ!

EstebanLM
Hi!

I’m working on simplifying the contribution process, after collecting opinions/experiences last couple of months.
As you know, Pharo contribution process is still WIP and we aim to have it as smooth as possible for Pharo 7.0 release. Now, after observe the idea of the “system repositories” was a bad idea because it introduced extra and non standard “path” to contribution, I managed to remove that to reestablish “the regular way”: you will now need to add pharo repository just as any other repository you add, by cloning or adding local repository.

I took Guille’s doc and moved it to pharo project (it does not has sense to have it living in a contributor’s repository when is so important). You can find it here:

This document is also updated to reveal this new process, please read it.

How to update your startup scripts?
Some people has added startup scripts to easy the first part of contribution. Instead enabling system repositories, etc. you now need to replace that with this:

(IceRepositoryCreator new
location: '/path/to/pharo-project/pharo' asFileReference;
subdirectory: 'src';
createRepository)
register

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE… take a moment to read and try the document. Is very important that document reflects new process and works reliable in different scenarios (I validated it on macOS and Windows, and assumed it worked fine on linux but you know… bad assumptions is the base of failure ;) )

I’m eager to hear your feedback and continue enhancing the process.

(yes, Stef, I know UI is still cumbersome… I’m working on that :) )

cheers!
Esteban

Esteban

Re: [IMPORTANT] PHARO CONTRIBUTION PROCESS UPDATED! PLEASE READ!

Marcus Denker-4

On 14 Dec 2017, at 13:19, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi!

I’m working on simplifying the contribution process, after collecting opinions/experiences last couple of months.
As you know, Pharo contribution process is still WIP and we aim to have it as smooth as possible for Pharo 7.0 release. Now, after observe the idea of the “system repositories” was a bad idea because it introduced extra and non standard “path” to contribution, I managed to remove that to reestablish “the regular way”: you will now need to add pharo repository just as any other repository you add, by cloning or adding local repository.

I took Guille’s doc and moved it to pharo project (it does not has sense to have it living in a contributor’s repository when is so important). You can find it here:

I updated http://pharo.org/contribute-propose-fix to point to this link.

Marcus

Re: [IMPORTANT] PHARO CONTRIBUTION PROCESS UPDATED! PLEASE READ!

Pavel Krivanek-3
Works for me :-)

This update will simplify things a lot because as soon as you create a branch from FogBugz issue, the Iceberg does following [1]:
- fetches the pharo-project repository
- checkouts to the particular commit from which the image was bootstrapped
- creates a new branch

That means that:
- you do not need to keep your fork up-to-date manually
- things should be cleaner

So as soon as your local repository is created as clone of your fork repository (your fork is origin), you do not need to set push and pull target nor synchronize your fork with pharo-project repository.

Esteban will fix me if I'm wrong ;-)

[1] see IcePharoCreateBranchFromIssue>>#createBranchNamed:

-- Pavel

[...]

Esteban

Re: [IMPORTANT] PHARO CONTRIBUTION PROCESS UPDATED! PLEASE READ!

alistairgrant
Hi Esteban,

I had no problems following the process (Ubuntu 16.04,
Pharo7.0-32bit-e175bc2.image, fogbugz 20872). :-)

I guess that you have already thought of this, but...  Is there any
reason why we can't just put up a dialog asking for the user's github
credentials and fogbugz issue number and then automatically clone the
repository, configure the upstream remote and create the issue branch.
That would remove most of the remaining manual steps.

I realise that it only works for option 1, although where people
configure a common pharo-local, it could check for a pre-existing
clone and use that one.

Cheers,
Alistair

On 14 December 2017 at 13:19, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I’m working on simplifying the contribution process, after collecting
> opinions/experiences last couple of months.
> As you know, Pharo contribution process is still WIP and we aim to have it
> as smooth as possible for Pharo 7.0 release. Now, after observe the idea of
> the “system repositories” was a bad idea because it introduced extra and non
> standard “path” to contribution, I managed to remove that to reestablish
> “the regular way”: you will now need to add pharo repository just as any
> other repository you add, by cloning or adding local repository.
>
> I took Guille’s doc and moved it to pharo project (it does not has sense to
> have it living in a contributor’s repository when is so important). You can
> find it here:
>
> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/wiki/Contribute-a-fix-to-Pharo
>
> This document is also updated to reveal this new process, please read it.
>
> How to update your startup scripts?
> Some people has added startup scripts to easy the first part of
> contribution. Instead enabling system repositories, etc. you now need to
> replace that with this:
>
> (IceRepositoryCreator new
> location: '/path/to/pharo-project/pharo' asFileReference;
> subdirectory: 'src';
> createRepository)
> register
>
> PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE… take a moment to read and try the document. Is very
> important that document reflects new process and works reliable in different
> scenarios (I validated it on macOS and Windows, and assumed it worked fine
> on linux but you know… bad assumptions is the base of failure ;) )
>
> I’m eager to hear your feedback and continue enhancing the process.
>
> (yes, Stef, I know UI is still cumbersome… I’m working on that :) )
>
> cheers!
> Esteban

Re: [IMPORTANT] PHARO CONTRIBUTION PROCESS UPDATED! PLEASE READ!

Stephane Ducasse-3
Cumbersome was not the first adjective that came to me mind :) but you
know it :)

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 1:19 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I’m working on simplifying the contribution process, after collecting
> opinions/experiences last couple of months.
> As you know, Pharo contribution process is still WIP and we aim to have it
> as smooth as possible for Pharo 7.0 release. Now, after observe the idea of
> the “system repositories” was a bad idea because it introduced extra and non
> standard “path” to contribution, I managed to remove that to reestablish
> “the regular way”: you will now need to add pharo repository just as any
> other repository you add, by cloning or adding local repository.
>
> I took Guille’s doc and moved it to pharo project (it does not has sense to
> have it living in a contributor’s repository when is so important). You can
> find it here:
>
> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/wiki/Contribute-a-fix-to-Pharo
>
> This document is also updated to reveal this new process, please read it.
>
> How to update your startup scripts?
> Some people has added startup scripts to easy the first part of
> contribution. Instead enabling system repositories, etc. you now need to
> replace that with this:
>
> (IceRepositoryCreator new
> location: '/path/to/pharo-project/pharo' asFileReference;
> subdirectory: 'src';
> createRepository)
> register
>
> PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE… take a moment to read and try the document. Is very
> important that document reflects new process and works reliable in different
> scenarios (I validated it on macOS and Windows, and assumed it worked fine
> on linux but you know… bad assumptions is the base of failure ;) )
>
> I’m eager to hear your feedback and continue enhancing the process.
>
> (yes, Stef, I know UI is still cumbersome… I’m working on that :) )
>
> cheers!
> Esteban

Re: [IMPORTANT] PHARO CONTRIBUTION PROCESS UPDATED! PLEASE READ!

Stephane Ducasse-3
On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 2:34 PM, Pavel Krivanek
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Works for me :-)
>
> This update will simplify things a lot because as soon as you create a
> branch from FogBugz issue, the Iceberg does following [1]:
> - fetches the pharo-project repository
> - checkouts to the particular commit from which the image was bootstrapped
> - creates a new branch
>
> That means that:
> - you do not need to keep your fork up-to-date manually
> - things should be cleaner

Ahhhhhh it looks like a huge improvement.
Because keeping manually our fork was a pain.
I will use my super nasty powers and try because I have some pending fixes :)

> [...]
>>
>> cheers!
>> Esteban

Re: [IMPORTANT] PHARO CONTRIBUTION PROCESS UPDATED! PLEASE READ!

EstebanLM

> On 15 Dec 2017, at 17:37, Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Esteban,
>
> I had no problems following the process (Ubuntu 16.04,
> Pharo7.0-32bit-e175bc2.image, fogbugz 20872). :-)
>
> I guess that you have already thought of this, but...  Is there any
> reason why we can't just put up a dialog asking for the user's github
> credentials and fogbugz issue number and then automatically clone the
> repository, configure the upstream remote and create the issue branch.
> That would remove most of the remaining manual steps.
>
> I realise that it only works for option 1, although where people
> configure a common pharo-local, it could check for a pre-existing

"I realise” means you tried and it didn’t work?
because in my tests it worked as good as the first one (I tested on windows), but that may need to be “re-validated” :)

Esteban

> Cheers,
> Alistair
>
> On 14 December 2017 at 13:19, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I’m working on simplifying the contribution process, after collecting
>> opinions/experiences last couple of months.
>> As you know, Pharo contribution process is still WIP and we aim to have it
>> as smooth as possible for Pharo 7.0 release. Now, after observe the idea of
>> the “system repositories” was a bad idea because it introduced extra and non
>> standard “path” to contribution, I managed to remove that to reestablish
>> “the regular way”: you will now need to add pharo repository just as any
>> other repository you add, by cloning or adding local repository.
>>
>> I took Guille’s doc and moved it to pharo project (it does not has sense to
>> have it living in a contributor’s repository when is so important). You can
>> find it here:
>>
>> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/wiki/Contribute-a-fix-to-Pharo
>>
>> This document is also updated to reveal this new process, please read it.
>>
>> How to update your startup scripts?
>> Some people has added startup scripts to easy the first part of
>> contribution. Instead enabling system repositories, etc. you now need to
>> replace that with this:
>>
>> (IceRepositoryCreator new
>> location: '/path/to/pharo-project/pharo' asFileReference;
>> subdirectory: 'src';
>> createRepository)
>> register
>>
>> PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE… take a moment to read and try the document. Is very
>> important that document reflects new process and works reliable in different
>> scenarios (I validated it on macOS and Windows, and assumed it worked fine
>> on linux but you know… bad assumptions is the base of failure ;) )
>>
>> I’m eager to hear your feedback and continue enhancing the process.
>>
>> (yes, Stef, I know UI is still cumbersome… I’m working on that :) )
>>
>> cheers!
>> Esteban

Re: [IMPORTANT] PHARO CONTRIBUTION PROCESS UPDATED! PLEASE READ!

Stephane Ducasse-3
esteban

to try the new way. What should I do?
Just download a new version or reclone? May be I will refork and
reclone to be sure.

Stef

On 16 Dec 2017, at 09:15, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

download latest image and follow the steps explained here:

side note: please do not try to adapt this steps to what you already know.
is better if you try this steps “blindly” and later you do a synthesis between what you learned and what you know :)

[...]

Yes now I have some pending commits that I do not want to lose so I
will fileout them and publish them.

Stef

On 16 December 2017 at 09:05, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 15 Dec 2017, at 17:37, Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Esteban,
>>
>> I had no problems following the process (Ubuntu 16.04,
>> Pharo7.0-32bit-e175bc2.image, fogbugz 20872). :-)
>>
>> I guess that you have already thought of this, but...  Is there any
>> reason why we can't just put up a dialog asking for the user's github
>> credentials and fogbugz issue number and then automatically clone the
>> repository, configure the upstream remote and create the issue branch.
>> That would remove most of the remaining manual steps.
>>
>> I realise that it only works for option 1, although where people
>> configure a common pharo-local, it could check for a pre-existing
>> clone and use that one.
>
> "I realise” means you tried and it didn’t work?
> because in my tests it worked as good as the first one (I tested on windows), but that may need to be “re-validated” :)
>
> Esteban

The contribution process works fine (even on linux :-)).

The "I realise" paragraph is a comment on my suggestion to try and
reduce the number of manual steps required (and is actually wrong).
Just to rephrase (and extend) the suggestion, I think we could create
a single dialog that currently covers the following steps (from your
instructions):

1. Clone a fresh repository, or point to an existing repository.
2. Tell Iceberg about pharo-project
3. Create a new branch from the fogbugz issue

Cheers,
Alistair

On 16 Dec 2017, at 09:42, Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

ah, I got lost in translation ;)

Esteban

Re: [IMPORTANT] PHARO CONTRIBUTION PROCESS UPDATED! PLEASE READ!

Stephane Ducasse-3
OK so I restarted everything from scratch:
- deleted my fork
- reforked
- clone pharo again
- here is some feedback

In the tutorial add /pharo + src in the screenshot

Then when I add the local repository I get uncommited changes and I do
not understand why?

Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 17.23.53.png (45K) Download Attachment

Re: [IMPORTANT] PHARO CONTRIBUTION PROCESS UPDATED! PLEASE READ!

Stephane Ducasse-3
I double clicked and it did a massive amount of stuff and finally told
me that it is up to date.

On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 5:24 PM, Stephane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> replace that with this:
>>
>> (IceRepositoryCreator new
>> location: '/path/to/pharo-project/pharo' asFileReference;
>> subdirectory: 'src';
>> createRepository)
>> register
>>
>> PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE… take a moment to read and try the document. Is very
>> important that document reflects new process and works reliable in different
>> scenarios (I validated it on macOS and Windows, and assumed it worked fine
>> on linux but you know… bad assumptions is the base of failure ;) )
>>
>> I’m eager to hear your feedback and continue enhancing the process.
>>
>> (yes, Stef, I know UI is still cumbersome… I’m working on that :) )
>>
>> cheers!
>> Esteban

Re: [IMPORTANT] PHARO CONTRIBUTION PROCESS UPDATED! PLEASE READ!

In the tutorial:

- Put a little heading before

"You need to add pharo repository as a remote
([hidden email]:pharo-project/pharo.git)."

On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 5:25 PM, Stephane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> replace that with this:
>>>
>>> (IceRepositoryCreator new
>>> location: '/path/to/pharo-project/pharo' asFileReference;
>>> subdirectory: 'src';
>>> createRepository)
>>> register
>>>
>>> PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE… take a moment to read and try the document. Is very
>>> important that document reflects new process and works reliable in different
>>> scenarios (I validated it on macOS and Windows, and assumed it worked fine
>>> on linux but you know… bad assumptions is the base of failure ;) )
>>>
>>> I’m eager to hear your feedback and continue enhancing the process.
>>>
>>> (yes, Stef, I know UI is still cumbersome… I’m working on that :) )
>>>
>>> cheers!
>>> Esteban

Re: [IMPORTANT] PHARO CONTRIBUTION PROCESS UPDATED! PLEASE READ!

I did a little pass on the wiki to make the flow clearer

On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 5:26 PM, Stephane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> In the tutorial:
>
> - Put a little heading before
>
> "You need to add pharo repository as a remote
> ([hidden email]:pharo-project/pharo.git)."
>
> On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 5:25 PM, Stephane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I double clicked and it did a massive amount of stuff and finally told
>> me that it is up to date.
>>

>> On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 5:24 PM, Stephane Ducasse
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> OK so I restarted everything from scratch:
>>> - deleted my fork
>>> - reforked
>>> - clone pharo again
>>> - here is some feedback
>>>
>>> In the tutorial add /pharo + src in the screenshot
>>>

>>> Then when I add the local repository I get uncommited changes and I do
>>> not understand why?

Re: [IMPORTANT] PHARO CONTRIBUTION PROCESS UPDATED! PLEASE READ!

Stephane Ducasse-3
I committed my code for issue 20861 and I do not understand what I see

I do not understand why I get local changes with empty packages. :(

Stef

Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 17.37.50.png (160K) Download Attachment

Re: [IMPORTANT] PHARO CONTRIBUTION PROCESS UPDATED! PLEASE READ!

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi Esteban

Now how can I maintain my fork up to date?
This is not in the tutorial and to me it was a major problem and a big
source of pain.
Stef

123