IP address presenter

Joseph Frippiat
Hi,

does somebody know where I can find an IP address presenter ?
DolphinMap speaks about an IP Address View in Dolphin X6 but I can't
find it :-) .

Thanks,

Joseph

Re: IP address presenter

Ian Bartholomew-21
Joseph,

>does somebody know where I can find an IP address presenter ?
>DolphinMap speaks about an IP Address View in Dolphin X6 but I can't
>find it :-) .

There is, or was, one included in the Windows Common Control dll
(along with ListView, TreeView etc).  I used to have a goodie, back in
the late 90s, that provided a wrapper round the control but, at some
point, I removed it.

If nobody comes up with a better solution I'll dig the code out of my
archive.

Another possibility might be adding a Presenter for Dolphin's
InternetAddress class.  It shouldn't be too difficult to persuade a
TextPresenter to understand the format.
--
Ian

Use the Reply-To address to contact me (limited validity).

Re: IP address presenter

Ian Bartholomew-21
Joseph,

>does somebody know where I can find an IP address presenter ?
>DolphinMap speaks about an IP Address View in Dolphin X6 but I can't
>find it :-) .

I found a copy of my old package and have converted it for Dolphin 6,
you can download it from

http://www.idb.me.uk/files/updates.html

However, it has some problems...

The actual conversion of the wrapper classes to D6 was quite
straightforward but when I came to create a new NumberPresenter view
resource things got a bit strange.  For some reason creating the
resource emboldens the system font for the complete Dolphin image.

I don't think this is just a Dolphin issue though.  A web search threw
up a few other comments complaining that the control caused various
problems with fonts.

I got round it by resetting the font for the control and the system
(see the package's post install script).  A very crude "fix", and *one
that doesn't work if you haven't defined a new default font for the
Smalltalk environment*!

I haven't tried using the control "in anger" so there may be more
problems lurking.
--
Ian

Use the Reply-To address to contact me (limited validity).

Re: IP address presenter

Udo Schneider
Ian Bartholomew wrote:
> However, it has some problems...
>
> The actual conversion of the wrapper classes to D6 was quite
> straightforward but when I came to create a new NumberPresenter view
> resource things got a bit strange.  For some reason creating the
> resource emboldens the system font for the complete Dolphin image.
According to
http://groups.google.de/group/comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin/browse_thread/thread/fffa6fe709bef723/07fc75cbe22eb626?q=Font+copy&lnk=gst&rnum=3#07fc75cbe22eb626
  the following should help:

setFont: aFont
   super setFont: aFont copy

It seems that the control is releasing the font given to it resulting in
the effect you described.

However I'm curious .... did I just dreamed of the IP Address control in
the DXST6 Beta or why did it disappear?

CU,

Udo

Re: IP address presenter

Ian Bartholomew-21
Udo,

>According to
>http://groups.google.de/group/comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin/browse_thread/thread/fffa6fe709bef723/07fc75cbe22eb626?q=Font+copy&lnk=gst&rnum=3#07fc75cbe22eb626
>  the following should help:

Thanks for that link.  I had no recollection of a previous discussion
on the subject ... and it was only two years ago <sigh>

I don't _remember_ anything about an IP Address wrapper in the D6 beta
but, as you see from the above, that means absolutely nothing ;-)

Ian Bartholomew wrote:
> I found a copy of my old package and have converted it for Dolphin 6,
> you can download it from
>
> http://www.idb.me.uk/files/updates.html

Thank you! :-)

> However, it has some problems...

I apply the change described by Udo Schneider and it works!

Thank you both,

Joseph

Re: IP address presenter

Blair-2
"Udo Schneider" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Ian Bartholomew wrote:
>> However, it has some problems...
>>
>> The actual conversion of the wrapper classes to D6 was quite
>> straightforward but when I came to create a new NumberPresenter view
>> resource things got a bit strange.  For some reason creating the
>> resource emboldens the system font for the complete Dolphin image.
> According to
> http://groups.google.de/group/comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin/browse_thread/thread/fffa6fe709bef723/07fc75cbe22eb626?q=Font+copy&lnk=gst&rnum=3#07fc75cbe22eb626
> the following should help:
>
> setFont: aFont
>   super setFont: aFont copy
>
> It seems that the control is releasing the font given to it resulting in
> the effect you described.
>
> However I'm curious .... did I just dreamed of the IP Address control in
> the DXST6 Beta or why did it disappear?

Because it could not be made to work correctly. There are some serious bugs
in the way the control handles fonts, and it ends up deleting them when it
shouldn't. The workaround above was not sufficient to correct all these
issues, so rather than release something fundamentally unreliable we decided
to pull it.

Regards

Blair