IStream with user and password

German Arduino
Hi:

I'm trying to develop some little tool to read and format data from a swiki.

I try to use

(IStream onURL: 'http://localhost/miswiki/') contents asString

but the swiki is configured to ask user/password also to read it.

¿How I can pass us/pw with IStream?

Thanks in Advance by the help.

gsa.

Re: IStream with user and password

Christopher J. Demers
"German Arduino" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:42f24ee6$[hidden email]...

> I'm trying to develop some little tool to read and format data from a
> swiki.
> I try to use
>
> (IStream onURL: 'http://localhost/miswiki/') contents asString
>
> but the swiki is configured to ask user/password also to read it.
> ¿How I can pass us/pw with IStream?
> Thanks in Advance by the help.

I am not sure if there is an easy way to do that anymore.  I believe that
one used to be able to do something like this:
(IStream onURL: 'http://user:password@.../') contents asString.
However MS removed the ability to use that style URL in IE because it was
being used for "fishing".  Try the above approach and see if it works, it
just depends where MS has removed support for that approach.  If they just
blocked it from the IE UI the above code may still work.

If the above does not work then you may be able to drive IE, or parts of it,
or make your own http connection.  Someone else may be able to offer more
guidance on that.

Chris

Re: IStream with user and password

Chris Uppal-3
German Arduino wrote:

> (IStream onURL: 'http://localhost/miswiki/') contents asString
>
> but the swiki is configured to ask user/password also to read it.
>
> ¿How I can pass us/pw with IStream?

Personally, I'd drop the MS stuff and use Steve Waring's HTTP client

    http://www.dolphinharbor.org/dh/projects/httpclient/index.html

I haven't used it much, but for the small uses I have made of it, it has worked
well.

(Thanks Steve !)

    -- chris

Christopher J. Demers wrote:

> "German Arduino" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:42f24ee6$[hidden email]...
>

>>I'm trying to develop some little tool to read and format data from a
>>swiki.
>>I try to use
>>
>>(IStream onURL: 'http://localhost/miswiki/') contents asString
>>
>>but the swiki is configured to ask user/password also to read it.
>>¿How I can pass us/pw with IStream?
>>Thanks in Advance by the help.
>

> I am not sure if there is an easy way to do that anymore.  I believe that
> one used to be able to do something like this:
> (IStream onURL: 'http://user:password@.../') contents asString.
> However MS removed the ability to use that style URL in IE because it was
> being used for "fishing".  Try the above approach and see if it works, it
> just depends where MS has removed support for that approach.  If they just
> blocked it from the IE UI the above code may still work.
>
> If the above does not work then you may be able to drive IE, or parts of it,
> or make your own http connection.  Someone else may be able to offer more
> guidance on that.
>
> Chris

Work ok!

Thanks Chris.

Chris Uppal wrote:

> German Arduino wrote:
>

>>(IStream onURL: 'http://localhost/miswiki/') contents asString
>>
>>but the swiki is configured to ask user/password also to read it.
>>
>>¿How I can pass us/pw with IStream?
>

> Personally, I'd drop the MS stuff and use Steve Waring's HTTP client
>
>     http://www.dolphinharbor.org/dh/projects/httpclient/index.html
>
> I haven't used it much, but for the small uses I have made of it, it has worked
> well.
>
> (Thanks Steve !)
>
>     -- chris

Thinks by the advice! I will try.