IWST '15 is now in the ACM DL

jannik laval
Dear all,

We are pleased to announce that proceedings of IWST'15 are available online.
You can view the proceedings material using the following URL:
http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2811237.

Best regards
Anne & Jannik

--
~~Jannik Laval~~
Enseignant-chercheur

Re: IWST '15 is now in the ACM DL

SergeStinckwich
Great work ! Thank you Anne & Jannik

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 8:44 PM, jannik laval <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> We are pleased to announce that proceedings of IWST'15 are available online.
> You can view the proceedings material using the following URL:
> http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2811237.
>
> Best regards
> Anne & Jannik
>
> --
> ~~Jannik Laval~~
> Enseignant-chercheur
> IUT Lumière, Université Lyon Lumière
> laboratoire DISP
> http://www.jannik-laval.eu
> http://www.phratch.com
> http://www.approchealpes.info

Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: IWST '15 is now in the ACM DL

Christian Haider
It is a shame that we have to pay to get the articles!
Is there a place where we can access the drafts?

Bad system.

Best,
        Christian

Hi Christian,

Yes, the papers are available on edug 2015 webpage.

Best regards,
Jannik

Le 26 nov. 2015 9:40 AM, "Christian Haider" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
It is a shame that we have to pay to get the articles!
Is there a place where we can access the drafts?

Bad system.

Best,
        Christian

Alexandre Bergel-5
Hi Christian,

I understand your frustration. However this is how it work as soon as one wish to publish to a wide audience. Unfortunately, there is not much we can do in that respect.

Cheers,
Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

On Nov 26, 2015, at 5:38 AM, Christian Haider <[hidden email]> wrote:

It is a shame that we have to pay to get the articles!
Is there a place where we can access the drafts?

Bad system.

Best,
Christian

Re: IWST '15 is now in the ACM DL

Marcus Denker-4

> On 26 Nov 2015, at 09:14, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Christian,
>
> I understand your frustration. However this is how it work as soon as one wish to publish to a wide audience. Unfortunately, there is not much we can do in that respect.

This is the current “System” of research… of course the Authors nor the universities that payed a salary for doing the research
will get any money… just the leeches that did *nothing*. It is a truly shitty system and worthy to be fought against, but this is
hard if you ever want to get a job or graduate. But there are activities against it… progress is slow… but e.g. ECOOP left all
this and the publications are now online for free.

So what people do to make it less of a problem is that they publish a “preprint” that is free to download. Preprints are
on the websites of the authors (of they care) or in the central archive of the institution (if it cares).

Inria (where I work) got so far that as of 2 years ago, publication that are not available for free on https://hal.inria.fr do not counted for
any Inria internal metric. As far as Inria is concerned, they do not exist. E.g we are not allowed to put it in official reports or claim
them when applying for internal promotion.

As for IWST: there is a link here: http://www.esug.org/wiki/pier/Conferences/2015/International-Workshop-IWST_15
(I will upload them to http://www.esug.org/data/ESUG2015/ later today)

        Marcus

.

Re: IWST '15 is now in the ACM DL

Marcus Denker-4

> As for IWST: there is a link here: http://www.esug.org/wiki/pier/Conferences/2015/International-Workshop-IWST_15
> (I will upload them to http://www.esug.org/data/ESUG2015/ later today)

I added them to:

        http://www.esug.org/data/ESUG2015/IWST/

        Marcus

Re: IWST '15 is now in the ACM DL

Ralph Johnson
In fact, ACM is easier to deal with than you might think.   If you are just putting a proceedings into the DL, and not making a print version of it, you can ask them to allow copyright to stay with the authors.   We did this for the PLoP series of conferences.

-Ralph Johnson

On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 6:46 AM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 26 Nov 2015, at 09:14, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Christian,
>
> I understand your frustration. However this is how it work as soon as one wish to publish to a wide audience. Unfortunately, there is not much we can do in that respect.

This is the current “System” of research… of course the Authors nor the universities that payed a salary for doing the research
will get any money… just the leeches that did *nothing*. It is a truly shitty system and worthy to be fought against, but this is
hard if you ever want to get a job or graduate. But there are activities against it… progress is slow… but e.g. ECOOP left all
this and the publications are now online for free.

So what people do to make it less of a problem is that they publish a “preprint” that is free to download. Preprints are
on the websites of the authors (of they care) or in the central archive of the institution (if it cares).

Inria (where I work) got so far that as of 2 years ago, publication that are not available for free on https://hal.inria.fr do not counted for
any Inria internal metric. As far as Inria is concerned, they do not exist. E.g we are not allowed to put it in official reports or claim
them when applying for internal promotion.

As for IWST: there is a link here: http://www.esug.org/wiki/pier/Conferences/2015/International-Workshop-IWST_15
(I will upload them to http://www.esug.org/data/ESUG2015/ later today)

        Marcus

.

Re: IWST '15 is now in the ACM DL

Joseph Pelrine
Hi Markus,

On 26.11.15 13:46, Marcus Denker wrote:

>> On 26 Nov 2015, at 09:14, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Christian,
>>
>> I understand your frustration. However this is how it work as soon as one wish to publish to a wide audience. Unfortunately, there is not much we can do in that respect.
>>

> This is the current “System” of research… of course the Authors nor the universities that payed a salary for doing the research
> will get any money… just the leeches that did *nothing*.
+10000. The reviewers also don't get any money, and since most journals
are digital and have no print costs, it's even more upsetting.

Best
--
Joseph Pelrine [ | ]
MetaProg GmbH

As soon as you introduce people, things become complex.

Re: IWST '15 is now in the ACM DL

Steven Kelly

Ralph,

Could you clarify that? I just went to the ACM DL for PLoP, and all the PLoP, EuroPloP and SugarloafPloP papers I tried were behind a paywall, $15 each. That’s the same price as for the OOPSLA/SPLASH Domain-Specific Modeling Workshops, where IIRC authors sign away their copyright to ACM (but we link preprints from the workshop web page).

All the best,

Steve

In fact, ACM is easier to deal with than you might think.   If you are just putting a proceedings into the DL, and not making a print version of it, you can ask them to allow copyright to stay with the authors.   We did this for the PLoP series of conferences.

-Ralph Johnson

On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 6:46 AM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 26 Nov 2015, at 09:14, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Christian,
>
> I understand your frustration. However this is how it work as soon as one wish to publish to a wide audience. Unfortunately, there is not much we can do in that respect.

This is the current “System” of research… of course the Authors nor the universities that payed a salary for doing the research
will get any money… just the leeches that did *nothing*. It is a truly shitty system and worthy to be fought against, but this is
hard if you ever want to get a job or graduate. But there are activities against it… progress is slow… but e.g. ECOOP left all
this and the publications are now online for free.

So what people do to make it less of a problem is that they publish a “preprint” that is free to download. Preprints are
on the websites of the authors (of they care) or in the central archive of the institution (if it cares).

Inria (where I work) got so far that as of 2 years ago, publication that are not available for free on https://hal.inria.fr do not counted for
any Inria internal metric. As far as Inria is concerned, they do not exist. E.g we are not allowed to put it in official reports or claim
them when applying for internal promotion.

As for IWST: there is a link here: http://www.esug.org/wiki/pier/Conferences/2015/International-Workshop-IWST_15
(I will upload them to http://www.esug.org/data/ESUG2015/ later today)

        Marcus

.

Re: IWST '15 is now in the ACM DL

Christian Haider
Marcus, yes, exactly this point: the public (we) pays for research and review (and the ESUG participants financed the presentation - this is good, don’t get me wrong) and then it is sealed by a private company which does WHAT?
I know that we agree that public funded research must be open to the public. (period!)
This is why I like the pirates - that is one of their core issues.

Great to here that there is progress - Inria is cool!
And I hope and expect that ESUG will stay open with the publications.

Best,
        Christian

Re: IWST '15 is now in the ACM DL

stephane ducasse-2
No I know people that publish their proceedings to ACM DL and Hal!
For next year I will put the PC chair in contact with my contact.
Stef

On 26 Nov 2015, at 13:14, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Christian,

I understand your frustration. However this is how it work as soon as one wish to publish to a wide audience. Unfortunately, there is not much we can do in that respect.

Cheers,
Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

On Nov 26, 2015, at 5:38 AM, Christian Haider <[hidden email]> wrote:

It is a shame that we have to pay to get the articles!
Is there a place where we can access the drafts?

Bad system.

Best,
Christian

Re: IWST '15 is now in the ACM DL

Ralph Johnson
The difference is that ACM does not hold the copyright on the papers.  Instead, they were given the right to publish them, but authors keep the copyright on the papers.  Thus, the authors are able to publish them in other venues, such as their own website.

The ACM Digital Library is really designed for ACM members.  You don't have to pay for individual articles if you are a member, you get to see all of them.  Most CS professors are members.   Universities can also be members, and then all the students can access the DL.  I bet big companies like IBM are also members and so their employees can access the DL.

The DL doesn't work so well for people in smaller companies, since neither they nor their employer are members of the ACM.  So, when a conference wants to appeal to people in smaller companies, it is important to make sure that when you negotiate the contract with the ACM, you make sure that the copyright remains with the author, not with ACM.  That permits you to put the papers on a web site elsewhere.

-Ralph

On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 9:58 AM, Steven Kelly <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

will get any money… just the leeches that did *nothing*. It is a truly shitty system and worthy to be fought against, but this is
hard if you ever want to get a job or graduate. But there are activities against it… progress is slow… but e.g. ECOOP left all
this and the publications are now online for free.

So what people do to make it less of a problem is that they publish a “preprint” that is free to download. Preprints are
on the websites of the authors (of they care) or in the central archive of the institution (if it cares).

Inria (where I work) got so far that as of 2 years ago, publication that are not available for free on https://hal.inria.fr do not counted for
any Inria internal metric. As far as Inria is concerned, they do not exist. E.g we are not allowed to put it in official reports or claim
them when applying for internal promotion.

Andres Valloud-4
http://authors.acm.org/main.html

On 11/27/15 14:47 , Ralph Johnson wrote:

> The difference is that ACM does not hold the copyright on the papers.
> Instead, they were given the right to publish them, but authors keep the
> copyright on the papers.  Thus, the authors are able to publish them in
> other venues, such as their own website.
>
> The ACM Digital Library is really designed for ACM members.  You don't
> have to pay for individual articles if you are a member, you get to see
> all of them.  Most CS professors are members.   Universities can also be
> members, and then all the students can access the DL.  I bet big
> companies like IBM are also members and so their employees can access
> the DL.
>
> The DL doesn't work so well for people in smaller companies, since
> neither they nor their employer are members of the ACM.  So, when a
> conference wants to appeal to people in smaller companies, it is
> important to make sure that when you negotiate the contract with the
> ACM, you make sure that the copyright remains with the author, not with
> ACM.  That permits you to put the papers on a web site elsewhere.
>
> -Ralph
>
> On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 9:58 AM, Steven Kelly <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Ralph,____
>
>     __ __
>
>     Could you clarify that? I just went to the ACM DL for PLoP, and all
>     the PLoP, EuroPloP and SugarloafPloP papers I tried were behind a
>     paywall, $15 each. That’s the same price as for the OOPSLA/SPLASH
>     Domain-Specific Modeling Workshops, where IIRC authors sign away
>     their copyright to ACM (but we link preprints from the workshop web
>     page).____
>
>     __ __
>
>     All the best,____
>
>     Steve____
>
>     __ __

Re: IWST '15 is now in the ACM DL

Boris Shingarov
What happened to the IWST'14 proceedings?  I can't find them in the DL.
(Yes, I know where they are on the ESUG site; but, you know, there are
certain benefits to having the ACM search index them).

Re: IWST '15 is now in the ACM DL

Steven Kelly
Thanks Ralph. Even if authors give copyright to ACM, they can still publish on their web page and in preproceedings. I think you'll find that a vanishingly small percentage of people in industry have access to the ACM DL through their companies. I understand that publishing in the DL or similar repositories is useful for discoverability, and I can cope with the fact that those companies need to make money and so use paywalls. But please, all authors, if the publisher allows it and you want your research to be taken up by people in the real world, take the trouble to put a PDF on your web page.

Cheers,
Steve