Iceberg Clone Location

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
I have a problem I'm not sure how to solve. In many of my baselines for
personal private projects, I have dependencies with filetree URL
repositories. IIUC, that was the best practice when I asked on the MetaC
mailing list. The file URLS are all of the form
{sharedRepoFolder}/{projectName}. Now Iceberg seems to expect clones to be
in {sharedRepoFolder}/{gitHubUser}/{projectName}. It doesn't find them
there, and then clones everything anew. I have a few concerns about this,
not the least of which is the thought of having to redo all my baselines.
That said, I realize that maybe this is inevitable, so I wanted to put this
out there to see if I'm missing something and the best way to proceed.

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Iceberg Clone Location

EstebanLM

> On 5 Nov 2017, at 11:48, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have a problem I'm not sure how to solve. In many of my baselines for
> personal private projects, I have dependencies with filetree URL
> repositories. IIUC, that was the best practice when I asked on the MetaC
> mailing list. The file URLS are all of the form
> {sharedRepoFolder}/{projectName}. Now Iceberg seems to expect clones to be
> in {sharedRepoFolder}/{gitHubUser}/{projectName}. It doesn't find them
> there, and then clones everything anew. I have a few concerns about this,
> not the least of which is the thought of having to redo all my baselines.
> That said, I realize that maybe this is inevitable, so I wanted to put this
> out there to see if I'm missing something and the best way to proceed.

I do not have a real solution for this.
So far the url needs to have a kind of format and there is no way to change it. Yes we can make the search of projects a bit more intelligent but right now it is not there.

The *trick* you can use (and I’m not sure is a trick at all or even something good, but at least it works ;) ) is that iceberg does not clones a project that is already in the image. So if you installed project dependency {projectName}, it will find it on his list and it will use it.

This has collateral not desired outputs (like if you ask for a tag or branch and it founds the project already there, it does not moves it to the place you asked for)… I will fix that eventually :)

Now, this forces you to install previously the dependences which can be not desired either :(

Esteban

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean
> --
> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Developers-f1294837.html

Re: Iceberg Clone Location

gcotelli
Maybe create a symlink by now?

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 7:24 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5 Nov 2017, at 11:48, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have a problem I'm not sure how to solve. In many of my baselines for
> personal private projects, I have dependencies with filetree URL
> repositories. IIUC, that was the best practice when I asked on the MetaC
> mailing list. The file URLS are all of the form
> {sharedRepoFolder}/{projectName}. Now Iceberg seems to expect clones to be
> in {sharedRepoFolder}/{gitHubUser}/{projectName}. It doesn't find them
> there, and then clones everything anew. I have a few concerns about this,
> not the least of which is the thought of having to redo all my baselines.
> That said, I realize that maybe this is inevitable, so I wanted to put this
> out there to see if I'm missing something and the best way to proceed.

I do not have a real solution for this.
So far the url needs to have a kind of format and there is no way to change it. Yes we can make the search of projects a bit more intelligent but right now it is not there.

The *trick* you can use (and I’m not sure is a trick at all or even something good, but at least it works ;) ) is that iceberg does not clones a project that is already in the image. So if you installed project dependency {projectName}, it will find it on his list and it will use it.

This has collateral not desired outputs (like if you ask for a tag or branch and it founds the project already there, it does not moves it to the place you asked for)… I will fix that eventually :)

Now, this forces you to install previously the dependences which can be not desired either :(

Esteban

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean
> --
> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Developers-f1294837.html

Re: Iceberg Clone Location

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sean P. DeNigris wrote
> Iceberg seems to expect clones to be in
> {sharedRepoFolder}/{gitHubUser}/{projectName}

I wonder if this is even conceptually correct. After all, wouldn't different
users' forks just be different remotes on the same repo in the git
worldview?

-----
Cheers,
Sean