Iceberg Contribution Barrier

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
I wanted to make a fix to Iceberg. I downloaded a fresh Pharo 7.0 image via
Launcher, and pasted the Iceberg updating script from the GH readme [1]:
    #('Iceberg-UI' 'Iceberg-Plugin-GitHub' 'Iceberg-Plugin'
'Iceberg-Metacello-Integration' 'Iceberg-Libgit'
    'Iceberg' 'BaselineOfIceberg' 'LibGit-Core' 'BaselineOfLibGit')
        do: [ :each | each asPackage removeFromSystem ].

    Metacello new
      baseline: 'Iceberg';
      repository: 'github://pharo-vcs/iceberg';
      load.

I got "Instance of AnObsoleteIceMetacelloRepositoryAdapter did not
understand #isValid"

1. https://github.com/seandenigris/iceberg

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Iceberg Contribution Barrier

EstebanLM
because that script is for 6.1
in Pharo 7 you do not need to update Iceberg (in fact, you do not need it in Pharo 6.1 either, this was for Pharo 6.0, when Iceberg was 0.4)

please, take the instructions from Guille’s place as your guide:

the only difference is that before creating your branch you need to do a fetch from origin/developent (I didn’t submit the change because I don’t know how to fork the wiki :P),

cheers,
Esteban

On 28 Sep 2017, at 04:45, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

I wanted to make a fix to Iceberg. I downloaded a fresh Pharo 7.0 image via
Launcher, and pasted the Iceberg updating script from the GH readme [1]:
   #('Iceberg-UI' 'Iceberg-Plugin-GitHub' 'Iceberg-Plugin'
'Iceberg-Metacello-Integration' 'Iceberg-Libgit'
   'Iceberg' 'BaselineOfIceberg' 'LibGit-Core' 'BaselineOfLibGit')
       do: [ :each | each asPackage removeFromSystem ].

   Metacello new
     baseline: 'Iceberg';
     repository: '<a href="github://pharo-vcs/iceberg" class="">github://pharo-vcs/iceberg';
     load.

I got "Instance of AnObsoleteIceMetacelloRepositoryAdapter did not
understand #isValid"

1. https://github.com/seandenigris/iceberg

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Iceberg Contribution Barrier

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
EstebanLM wrote
> you do not need to update Iceberg

Aha! After I successfully navigate your other instructions I'll update the
readme

EstebanLM wrote
> I didn’t submit the change because I don’t know how to fork the wiki :P

If it's the "official" way, should we just move it somewhere under the team?

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Iceberg Contribution Barrier

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
EstebanLM wrote
> you do not need to update Iceberg
> please, take the instructions from Guille’s place as your guide:

Just so I'm clear, do you mean to adapt Guille's instructions to the Iceberg
repo? IIUC Steph's recent post, patches to outside projects like Bloc and
Iceberg must be pushed to their respective canonical repos, no?

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Iceberg Contribution Barrier

EstebanLM
I’m sorry, I didn’t understand.
You want to contribute to iceberg?

Then yes, in Pharo 6.1 you need to follow the update instructions. Now, Pharo 7 is a bit more complicated because of things :)
This is the “updated” iceberg update process… it just removes adapters from monticello:

MCRepositoryGroup default repositories
        select: [ :each | each isKindOf: IceMetacelloRepositoryAdapter ])
        do: [ :each | MCRepositoryGroup default removeRepository: each ].
 #('Iceberg-UI' 'Iceberg-Plugin-GitHub' 'Iceberg-Plugin' 'Iceberg-Metacello-Integration' 'Iceberg-Libgit' 'Iceberg' 'BaselineOfIceberg' 'LibGit-Core' 'BaselineOfLibGit')
do: [ :each | each asPackage removeFromSystem ].
Metacello new
  baseline: 'Iceberg';
  repository: 'github://pharo-vcs/iceberg';
  load.

(I’m working to remove this problem, I’m sorry… iceberg 0.6 will fix a lot of this problems)

and I’m very sorry for the confusion :)

Esteban

> On 29 Sep 2017, at 15:25, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> EstebanLM wrote
>> you do not need to update Iceberg
>> please, take the instructions from Guille’s place as your guide:
>
> Just so I'm clear, do you mean to adapt Guille's instructions to the Iceberg
> repo? IIUC Steph's recent post, patches to outside projects like Bloc and
> Iceberg must be pushed to their respective canonical repos, no?
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean
> --
> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Developers-f1294837.html

Re: Iceberg Contribution Barrier

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
EstebanLM wrote
> You want to contribute to iceberg?

Yes, I followed Guille's instructions, substituting the Iceberg GH repo for
Pharo's, but I don't think I updated Iceberg. Iceberg showed only my
changes, but maybe I got lucky that I was working on a part that hadn't
changed in the mean time? Anyway, I was able to commit to my Iceberg fork
and then via the GH web UI submit a PR to the canonically Iceberg repo.

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean