Iceberg UI feedback - synchronise v. status

Iceberg UI feedback - synchronise v. status

Ben Coman
I hear Iceberg UI is getting a redesign.
To feed into that... I'm trying to analyse myself, why I've not been
comfortable with the "Synchronise..." menu item.   I think maybe its
because that term feels like an "action" that going to "do something"
when I'm not sure what that something is.    But as I'm getting
familiar with Iceberg it seems that "Synchronise" might not change the
state of anything, but first shows current "status" like a combination
of  `git status` and `git diff`  from the shell, and presents buttons
and tabs where you *then* perform actions that actually change the
state of the system.

So I may have the wrong end of the stick, but perhaps replacing
"Synchronise..." with "Status..." might seem less intimidating.

HTH,
cheers -ben

Re: Iceberg UI feedback - synchronise v. status

demarey

Why not « Synchronization view » like in Eclipse?

Re: Iceberg UI feedback - synchronise v. status

Ben Coman
On 29 January 2018 at 21:32, Christophe Demarey
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Le 29 janv. 2018 à 14:16, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> I hear Iceberg UI is getting a redesign.
>> To feed into that... I'm trying to analyse myself, why I've not been
>> comfortable with the "Synchronise..." menu item.   I think maybe its
>> because that term feels like an "action" that going to "do something"
>> when I'm not sure what that something is.    But as I'm getting
>> familiar with Iceberg it seems that "Synchronise" might not change the
>> state of anything, but first shows current "status" like a combination
>> of  `git status` and `git diff`  from the shell, and presents buttons
>> and tabs where you *then* perform actions that actually change the
>> state of the system.
>>
>> So I may have the wrong end of the stick, but perhaps replacing
>> "Synchronise..." with "Status..." might seem less intimidating.
>
> Why not « Synchronization view » like in Eclipse?

I don't know Eclipse, only `git`   ;P
But yes, that seems less like system state might change immediately
and I'll have time to consider my next move.

cheers -ben