Iceberg and removing packages

Esteban A. Maringolo
Hi,

I'm playing around with Iceberg in Pharo 6, and even when I find the
workflow streamlined, but since it doesn't map 1:1 with git workflow
from other IDEs or command line, I find myself not knowing how to do
certain tasks.

One thing that happened is that I published a few packages to one of
my repos in Github, then I decided to remove one of the packages from
the repo, then I synchronized it but in the repo there is still is the
package folder for the package I removed.

What should I do to definitely remove those files from the commit?

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: Iceberg and removing packages

Peter Uhnak
This was supposedly fixed in April https://github.com/pharo-vcs/iceberg/issues/317

however I had the same issue ~two months ago, so I had to delete the packages by hand.

On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 11:04:20AM -0300, Esteban A. Maringolo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm playing around with Iceberg in Pharo 6, and even when I find the
> workflow streamlined, but since it doesn't map 1:1 with git workflow
> from other IDEs or command line, I find myself not knowing how to do
> certain tasks.
>
> One thing that happened is that I published a few packages to one of
> my repos in Github, then I decided to remove one of the packages from
> the repo, then I synchronized it but in the repo there is still is the
> package folder for the package I removed.
>
> What should I do to definitely remove those files from the commit?
>
> Regards!
>
> Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: Iceberg and removing packages

Esteban A. Maringolo
I got into the pharo-local/iceberg/... and git rm'ed the directory,
commited and synchronized the project in Iceberg.

I hope it doesn't break anything since I don't know how much "magic"
does Iceberg behind the scenes other than automating the git commands
and providing a centralized UI.

What is the "This is all you need to read to understand Iceberg?"
document I should read? I read its wiki, but it seems there is more to
go.

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo

> This was supposedly fixed in April https://github.com/pharo-vcs/iceberg/issues/317
>
> however I had the same issue ~two months ago, so I had to delete the packages by hand.

> On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 11:04:20AM -0300, Esteban A. Maringolo wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm playing around with Iceberg in Pharo 6, and even when I find the
>> workflow streamlined, but since it doesn't map 1:1 with git workflow
>> from other IDEs or command line, I find myself not knowing how to do
>> certain tasks.
>>
>> One thing that happened is that I published a few packages to one of
>> my repos in Github, then I decided to remove one of the packages from
>> the repo, then I synchronized it but in the repo there is still is the
>> package folder for the package I removed.
>>
>> What should I do to definitely remove those files from the commit?
>>
>> Regards!
>>
>> Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: Iceberg and removing packages

EstebanLM
Hi,

In iceberg, you have to go to package tab and say "remove package from disk"

Esteban

> On 30 Jul 2017, at 17:01, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I got into the pharo-local/iceberg/... and git rm'ed the directory,
> commited and synchronized the project in Iceberg.
>
> I hope it doesn't break anything since I don't know how much "magic"
> does Iceberg behind the scenes other than automating the git commands
> and providing a centralized UI.
>
> What is the "This is all you need to read to understand Iceberg?"
> document I should read? I read its wiki, but it seems there is more to
> go.
>
> Regards!
>
> Esteban A. Maringolo

>> This was supposedly fixed in April https://github.com/pharo-vcs/iceberg/issues/317
>>
>> however I had the same issue ~two months ago, so I had to delete the packages by hand.

>>> On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 11:04:20AM -0300, Esteban A. Maringolo wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm playing around with Iceberg in Pharo 6, and even when I find the
>>> workflow streamlined, but since it doesn't map 1:1 with git workflow
>>> from other IDEs or command line, I find myself not knowing how to do
>>> certain tasks.
>>>
>>> One thing that happened is that I published a few packages to one of
>>> my repos in Github, then I decided to remove one of the packages from
>>> the repo, then I synchronized it but in the repo there is still is the
>>> package folder for the package I removed.
>>>
>>> What should I do to definitely remove those files from the commit?
>>>
>>> Regards!
>>>
>>> Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: Iceberg and removing packages

Esteban A. Maringolo
That's exactly what I did. But after synchronizing the repo, the
package wasn't listed on Iceberg but it still was in in the repo.
It happened with another package in another repo as well.

If it happens again I'll let you know.

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo

> In iceberg, you have to go to package tab and say "remove package from disk"
>
> Esteban
>
>> On 30 Jul 2017, at 17:01, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I got into the pharo-local/iceberg/... and git rm'ed the directory,
>> commited and synchronized the project in Iceberg.
>>
>> I hope it doesn't break anything since I don't know how much "magic"
>> does Iceberg behind the scenes other than automating the git commands
>> and providing a centralized UI.
>>
>> What is the "This is all you need to read to understand Iceberg?"
>> document I should read? I read its wiki, but it seems there is more to
>> go.
>>
>> Regards!
>>
>> Esteban A. Maringolo

>>> This was supposedly fixed in April https://github.com/pharo-vcs/iceberg/issues/317
>>>
>>> however I had the same issue ~two months ago, so I had to delete the packages by hand.

Re: Iceberg and removing packages

EstebanLM
Did you commit?

> On 31 Jul 2017, at 14:06, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> That's exactly what I did. But after synchronizing the repo, the
> package wasn't listed on Iceberg but it still was in in the repo.
> It happened with another package in another repo as well.
>
> If it happens again I'll let you know.
>
> Regards!
>
> Esteban A. Maringolo

>> Hi,
>>
>> In iceberg, you have to go to package tab and say "remove package from disk"
>>
>> Esteban
>>
>>> On 30 Jul 2017, at 17:01, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I got into the pharo-local/iceberg/... and git rm'ed the directory,
>>> commited and synchronized the project in Iceberg.
>>>
>>> I hope it doesn't break anything since I don't know how much "magic"
>>> does Iceberg behind the scenes other than automating the git commands
>>> and providing a centralized UI.
>>>
>>> What is the "This is all you need to read to understand Iceberg?"
>>> document I should read? I read its wiki, but it seems there is more to
>>> go.
>>>
>>> Regards!
>>>
>>> Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: Iceberg and removing packages

Esteban A. Maringolo
Hi,

Yes, I commited.

I noticed the package wasn't remove from disk because in Github the
MyPackage-Tests.package folder was still there. And in the iceberg
local directory it was there as well.
I removed it manually with this commit:
<https://github.com/eMaringolo/NeoJSONRPC/commit/7d2d7422812216615e684c838f9bd7521590cc27>

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo

> Did you commit?
>
>> On 31 Jul 2017, at 14:06, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> That's exactly what I did. But after synchronizing the repo, the
>> package wasn't listed on Iceberg but it still was in in the repo.
>> It happened with another package in another repo as well.
>>
>> If it happens again I'll let you know.

Re: Iceberg and removing packages

Tim Mackinnon
I just hit the same problem - I wanted to remove a package that I no longer wanted - I went to the iceberg packages tab for the project and picked remove from disk and then I did a synchronise and commit. At the time I did notice that it didn’t show a package removal change (but I assumed that as it was gone, maybe you don’t show that?).

Tim

> On 31 Jul 2017, at 13:30, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Did you commit?
>
>> On 31 Jul 2017, at 14:06, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> That's exactly what I did. But after synchronizing the repo, the
>> package wasn't listed on Iceberg but it still was in in the repo.
>> It happened with another package in another repo as well.
>>
>> If it happens again I'll let you know.
>>
>> Regards!
>>
>> Esteban A. Maringolo

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> In iceberg, you have to go to package tab and say "remove package from disk"
>>>
>>> Esteban

Re: Iceberg and removing packages

EstebanLM
so, this is probably a bug.
are you using latest iceberg version? (it should be 0.5.5… the one present on P6.1)

Esteban

> On 3 Aug 2017, at 00:32, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I just hit the same problem - I wanted to remove a package that I no longer wanted - I went to the iceberg packages tab for the project and picked remove from disk and then I did a synchronise and commit. At the time I did notice that it didn’t show a package removal change (but I assumed that as it was gone, maybe you don’t show that?).
>
> Tim
>
>> On 31 Jul 2017, at 13:30, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Did you commit?
>>
>>> On 31 Jul 2017, at 14:06, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> That's exactly what I did. But after synchronizing the repo, the
>>> package wasn't listed on Iceberg but it still was in in the repo.
>>> It happened with another package in another repo as well.
>>>
>>> If it happens again I'll let you know.
>>>
>>> Regards!
>>>
>>> Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: Iceberg and removing packages

Esteban A. Maringolo
How can I know which version it is loaded?

My system version is: "Pharo6.0 of 13 May 2016 update 60508"

Regards.

Esteban A. Maringolo

On 3 Aug 2017, at 19:13, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:

How can I know which version it is loaded?

My system version is: "Pharo6.0 of 13 May 2016 update 60508”

this is old 6.0, you need 6.1(which is 60510)
but then you need the new VM :S

I checked: 0.5 fixes the problem of removing, but it fixes it bad: it removes correctly, but sync window shows no-changes (and commit will do the remove anyway). I will fix this once I come back…

Esteban