Iceberg and resource files

kmo

Iceberg and resource files

kmo
I don't understand how iceberg handles resource files that you might also
like to version along with the pharo code.

Say I have an CSV file and a text file that my pharo application uses. How
do I include these in the iceberg commit/push? How do I see changes made in
these files from version to version?

Does iceberg only handle pharo code? Generally git clients don't care about
the file type - and it it is any kind of text you can see the actual
differences between each commit.

Ken

Re: Iceberg and resource files

Stephane Ducasse-3
You can version such code in your repo using git.
Now Iceberg does not manage them (from what I understood).
We will probably have a kind of GitRepo file Location so that you can
know from where you want to load such files. (Right now pointing to
"IceRepository default"  should work).

Stef

kmo

Re: Iceberg and resource files

kmo
OK. I thought that this was more or less the case. Thanks.

Re: Iceberg and resource files

hernanmd
Hi Ken,

Some days ago I published a package to manage download of resources
from Metacello configurations.
Have a look at https://github.com/hernanmd/MetacelloFileDownload

Hernán

> I don't understand how iceberg handles resource files that you might also
> like to version along with the pharo code.
>
> Say I have an CSV file and a text file that my pharo application uses. How
> do I include these in the iceberg commit/push? How do I see changes made in
> these files from version to version?
>
> Does iceberg only handle pharo code? Generally git clients don't care about
> the file type - and it it is any kind of text you can see the actual
> differences between each commit.
>
> Ken

Re: Iceberg and resource files

Peter Uhnak
Hi,

How do I include these in the iceberg commit/push?
How do I see changes made in these files from version to version?

Apart from directly using the actual git repo outside of pharo, you can use the facade provided by IceRepository, or you can use libgit inside Pharo.

E.g. to add an external file to index (which will be then committed together with new code)

repo := IceRepository registry detect: [ :each | each name = 'some-repo' ].
repo addFilesToIndex: {'README.md'}.

Peter

kmo

Re: Iceberg and resource files

kmo
These suggestions look really good. Thanks to everyone.

Re: Iceberg and resource files

demarey
Hi Ken,

> Le 27 janv. 2018 à 15:38, kmo <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> I don't understand how iceberg handles resource files that you might also
> like to version along with the pharo code.

For now, Iceberg do not really handle these files but it is planned in a next future.

> Say I have an CSV file and a text file that my pharo application uses. How
> do I include these in the iceberg commit/push? How do I see changes made in
> these files from version to version?

Currently, you cannot do anything related to this through the UI.
What you could do is to call directly Iceberg API to commit ressources to the git repository:
1/ write the resource content in git working copy (std file system). There is a utility method: IceRepository>>#saveContent: aString inWorkingCopyFile: aRelativePathString
2/ add these files to git index through: IceRepository>>addFilesToIndex: aListOfPaths
3/ commit :
iceRepository
                commitIndexWithMessage: commitMessage
                andParents:  { iceRepository headCommit }

You can also read ressources by suing IceRepository>>#contentOfFileNamed: aPathString commit: aCommitId

Christophe.

> Does iceberg only handle pharo code? Generally git clients don't care about
> the file type - and it it is any kind of text you can see the actual
> differences between each commit.
>
> Ken

Re: Iceberg and resource files

Stephane Ducasse-3
Guille shows me a filesystem git accessed and browsed from Pharo. Soon
to be public.