Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Iceberg confusion

Ben Coman
So I discovered a bug with Pharo Launcher and logged... https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-launcher/issues/431  
and then wanted to contributing a fix, 
but hit some confusion with Iceberg that discouraged me continuing.

The first thing I'm compelled to do to build my sense of control/mastery of the situation
is sync the local github repo to the in-Image code, and I continually struggle with doing this quickly and fluently.

In a fresh install of Pharo Launcher (pharo-launcher-1.9.2.zip),
after opening Iceberg and on the pharo-launcher repo 
doing Repair > Clone again this repository > Clone from github.com
  + Owner Name: pharo-project
  + Project Name: pharo-launcher

I find it is "not-yet" repaired.  There is more-to-do [1] to repair a "Detach Working Copy"
image.png

A newcomer confronted with that may just stop there
but I'm familiar with Iceberg so IIUC to clear a "Detached Working Copy" I need to do checkout a commit. 
So I try... Right-click pharo-launcher > Repository...
image.png

But that doesn't help me since there is no clue which commit the in-Image code came from**, so I don't know which to check out.  I presume the middle tab at the bottom is showing the diff between "a49ef1d to HEAD"  on disk and not the in-Image source.  

If I take a guess to check out the latest then that shows a lot of difference, so that is discouraging.  I really don't want to have to try checking out each commit in turn searching for the matching one.

Now luckily half an hour later while writing this post I notice there is a "1.9.2" tag.  Checking this out gave now differences so yay! I managed to work around my problem.  But still, I lost that half-hour (and similar many times before) so my Big Question still remains... 

Why must information about where there code comes always from be deleted from release-images???

Above I had prior knowledge to to fill in the "Repair" fields with

but other times having to research-and-guess what these fields should be
to match in-Image code is a real barrier to contributing.

It would be really-really great if rather than an image being delivered like this...
image.png 

it would look like this...
image.png
with all the other Unknowns also filled in, 
but discovering that info would take another half hour (also a case in point) 

This would make it simple to fill in the Repair dialog fields,
and remove my main workflow irritation in an otherwise fantastic tool.

cheers -ben
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Iceberg confusion

EstebanLM
Hi,

On 14 Mar 2020, at 04:35, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

So I discovered a bug with Pharo Launcher and logged... https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-launcher/issues/431  
and then wanted to contributing a fix, 
but hit some confusion with Iceberg that discouraged me continuing.

The first thing I'm compelled to do to build my sense of control/mastery of the situation
is sync the local github repo to the in-Image code, and I continually struggle with doing this quickly and fluently.

well… no :)
It doesn’t matters in which commit you are, you can just create a branch from there and commit your changes there.

In a fresh install of Pharo Launcher (pharo-launcher-1.9.2.zip),
after opening Iceberg and on the pharo-launcher repo 
doing Repair > Clone again this repository > Clone from github.com

I find it is "not-yet" repaired.  There is more-to-do [1] to repair a "Detach Working Copy"
<image.png>

A newcomer confronted with that may just stop there
but I'm familiar with Iceberg so IIUC to clear a "Detached Working Copy" I need to do checkout a commit. 

No you don’t :)
Detached working copy does not means you need to checkout a commit. 
It means you are working in a commit which is not your head. 
You have several strategies (repairs) you can follow here : 
- you can indeed checkout the head.
- you can create a branch from your commit.
- you can discard what you have in image and load what is the working copy head.

So I try... Right-click pharo-launcher > Repository...
<image.png>

But that doesn't help me since there is no clue which commit the in-Image code came from**, so I don't know which to check out. 

You do not want to checkout a commit, see previous comment.

I presume the middle tab at the bottom is showing the diff between "a49ef1d to HEAD"  on disk and not the in-Image source.  

If I take a guess to check out the latest then that shows a lot of difference, so that is discouraging.  I really don't want to have to try checking out each commit in turn searching for the matching one.

Now luckily half an hour later while writing this post I notice there is a "1.9.2" tag.  Checking this out gave now differences so yay! I managed to work around my problem.  But still, I lost that half-hour (and similar many times before) so my Big Question still remains... 

Why must information about where there code comes always from be deleted from release-images???

Above I had prior knowledge to to fill in the "Repair" fields with

but other times having to research-and-guess what these fields should be
to match in-Image code is a real barrier to contributing.

It would be really-really great if rather than an image being delivered like this...
<image.png> 

it would look like this...
<image.png>
with all the other Unknowns also filled in, 
but discovering that info would take another half hour (also a case in point) 

This would make it simple to fill in the Repair dialog fields,
and remove my main workflow irritation in an otherwise fantastic tool.

cheers -ben

Esteban