Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Iceberg diff colours seem reversed?

Tim Mackinnon
Hi Guys - when you launch the Synchronize window in iceberg - is it me, or are the colour highlights backwards (and possibly the ordering of the panes)? 

If the left pane is my working copy, and I've added some code to a method - why does it appear in red on the left (which typically means deleted?). I notice that in IntelliJ (and other tools) your working changes are typically on the right and things you add are in Green on that right hand side.

I think that ordering and colour coding make more sense - from -> to, and red is deleted, green is added.

Of course I can live with the different pane ordering, but I think the colours might be wrong?

Tim
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Iceberg diff colours seem reversed?

NorbertHartl
I didn't look at the iceberg diff right now. But I can say whenever I see a diff view in pharo it is so confusing I never know what I see. In the changes window I alwas switch from diff to source to see at least what I have now. Maybe a general problem how to put chronological change. And maybe for left-to-right readers to only way is older left - newer right

Norbert

Am 22.06.2017 um 03:40 schrieb Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]>:

Hi Guys - when you launch the Synchronize window in iceberg - is it me, or are the colour highlights backwards (and possibly the ordering of the panes)? 

If the left pane is my working copy, and I've added some code to a method - why does it appear in red on the left (which typically means deleted?). I notice that in IntelliJ (and other tools) your working changes are typically on the right and things you add are in Green on that right hand side.

I think that ordering and colour coding make more sense - from -> to, and red is deleted, green is added.

Of course I can live with the different pane ordering, but I think the colours might be wrong?

Tim
Reply | Threaded
|

Tim Mackinnon
I think the left to right or right to left is probably a very opinionated thing (and I think Araxis, another tool I’ve used does it the other way around).

However the colour coding is something that should properly communicate what is going on - and I’m curious if anyone else has noticed it seems to be wrong (it sounds like for you its definitely confusing).

I think there are known bugs in iceberg (not sure how much on the diff view - I also noticed that class comments don’t seem to appear in the diff and I also see spurious method categorisation differences as well).

Tim

On 22 Jun 2017, at 06:51, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:

I didn't look at the iceberg diff right now. But I can say whenever I see a diff view in pharo it is so confusing I never know what I see. In the changes window I alwas switch from diff to source to see at least what I have now. Maybe a general problem how to put chronological change. And maybe for left-to-right readers to only way is older left - newer right

Norbert

Tim

Reply | Threaded
|

Tim Mackinnon
It’s worth saying that the diff view on Epicea appears to be correct assuming left is previous and right is new (so I think it also shows the panes the other way around like I expected).

Tim

On 22 Jun 2017, at 17:03, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

I think the left to right or right to left is probably a very opinionated thing (and I think Araxis, another tool I’ve used does it the other way around).

However the colour coding is something that should properly communicate what is going on - and I’m curious if anyone else has noticed it seems to be wrong (it sounds like for you its definitely confusing).

I think there are known bugs in iceberg (not sure how much on the diff view - I also noticed that class comments don’t seem to appear in the diff and I also see spurious method categorisation differences as well).

Tim

Norbert

Tim

Reply | Threaded
|

Uko2
I have to look into it, because the colors were reversed 100% and then I swapped them. And now I don’t know (need some sleep, I’ll look tomorrow)

Uko

On 22 Jun 2017, at 18:18, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

It’s worth saying that the diff view on Epicea appears to be correct assuming left is previous and right is new (so I think it also shows the panes the other way around like I expected).

Tim

On 22 Jun 2017, at 17:03, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

Tim

Norbert

Tim