Iceberg merged pull requests?

bpi

Iceberg merged pull requests?

bpi
I saw that two pull requests were accepted and merged into the development branch. I had expected that Iceberg would show me them somewhere. However, in the branches pane of my repository the status pharo-project/development is shown as Up to date.

Shouldn't there be some indication that new code is available to be merged, or am I misunderstanding Iceberg?

Bernhard

Re: Iceberg merged pull requests?

Stephane Ducasse-3
You should double click on the pharo lines and looks in the update
pane you will see the updates (but you should pull from pharo to sync
your repo).

Stef

On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 10:45 PM, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I saw that two pull requests were accepted and merged into the development branch. I had expected that Iceberg would show me them somewhere. However, in the branches pane of my repository the status pharo-project/development is shown as Up to date.
>
> Shouldn't there be some indication that new code is available to be merged, or am I misunderstanding Iceberg?
>
> Bernhard

Re: Iceberg merged pull requests?

EstebanLM

> On 3 Jan 2018, at 23:09, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> You should double click on the pharo lines and looks in the update
> pane you will see the updates (but you should pull from pharo to sync
> your repo).
>
> Stef
>
> On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 10:45 PM, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I saw that two pull requests were accepted and merged into the development branch. I had expected that Iceberg would show me them somewhere. However, in the branches pane of my repository the status pharo-project/development is shown as Up to date.
>>
>> Shouldn't there be some indication that new code is available to be merged, or am I misunderstanding Iceberg?

you are misunderstanding iceberg :)
your repository shows the status of the image against your local copy of the repository, not the remote one.
If you want to see those changes, you need to first “fetch” the remote repository (which will update the commits available in the local one).
this is a task (fetching) that other tools do in background time to time (for example, sourcetree does it like when you focus on the window), to show this as a “live experience”, but we cannot do the same because a call to fetch would block the image (since FFI is blocking for the moment), then you will need to do that by hand until we get threaded FFI.

also, notice that updating Pharo from iceberg is a very bad idea, and you can have an unusable image after that (update other projects will usually work).

Esteban

bpi

Re: Iceberg merged pull requests?

bpi
Hi Esteban,

Thanks for your answer. See more questions below.

> Am 04.01.2018 um 09:16 schrieb Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>:
>
>> On 3 Jan 2018, at 23:09, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> You should double click on the pharo lines and looks in the update
>> pane you will see the updates (but you should pull from pharo to sync
>> your repo).
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 10:45 PM, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I saw that two pull requests were accepted and merged into the development branch. I had expected that Iceberg would show me them somewhere. However, in the branches pane of my repository the status pharo-project/development is shown as Up to date.
>>>
>>> Shouldn't there be some indication that new code is available to be merged, or am I misunderstanding Iceberg?
>
> you are misunderstanding iceberg :)
That's what I suspected. ;-)

> your repository shows the status of the image against your local copy of the repository, not the remote one.
> If you want to see those changes, you need to first “fetch” the remote repository (which will update the commits available in the local one).
> this is a task (fetching) that other tools do in background time to time (for example, sourcetree does it like when you focus on the window), to show this as a “live experience”, but we cannot do the same because a call to fetch would block the image (since FFI is blocking for the moment), then you will need to do that by hand until we get threaded FFI.
Is this fetching from the upstream pharo-project repository something I should be able to do in Iceberg? I had assumed it is, but I could not find it? In SourceTree there is a command called Refresh Remote Status. Is there something akin to that in Iceberg?

> also, notice that updating Pharo from iceberg is a very bad idea, and you can have an unusable image after that (update other projects will usually work).
I am afraid I still don't understand. I thought that was the point of Iceberg?

If not, what is the suggested workflow for merged pull requests to the pharo-project upstream? Should I build a new development image whenever new pull requests are merged?

Bernhard

On 6 Jan 2018, at 09:27, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

you have a “fetch” action.

also, notice that updating Pharo from iceberg is a very bad idea, and you can have an unusable image after that (update other projects will usually work).
I am afraid I still don't understand. I thought that was the point of Iceberg?
no, is not.
the point of iceberg is to provide a modern VCS and to easy the usage of modern tools/processes.
to be able to safely upgrade pharo you will need an atomic loader, which not pharo not any smalltalk I know of has (this is why the old update process was broken since couple of years. I know, in other dialects is usually possible but that’s because they do not change the kernel very often and we cannot ensure that).

If not, what is the suggested workflow for merged pull requests to the pharo-project upstream? Should I build a new development image whenever new pull requests are merged?

yes, you download a new image if you want the new versions. You can always risk and merge… there will be a fair amount of times where that can work, but I do not recommend to do that.
working “on the edge” has this drawbacks, sadly, until we have a reliable atomic loader.

cheers,
Esteban

Bernhard