Icon replace in deployed exe

Jochen Riekhof
Hi...

today I tried for the first time to replace the Application icon in a
deployed app. I tried both Visual C++ 6 and ResHacker, but whatever I did,
the app was not startable anymore afterwards. With VC++ when I opened the
app as resource in VC++, edited the existing app icons, and saved, only the
resources were saved, apparently a corrupt exe ;-). Is there a special
trick?

BTW: Is some app icon support planned for D6-Lagoon?

Ciao

...Jochen

Re: Icon replace in deployed exe

Chris Uppal-3
Jochen Riekhof wrote:

> today I tried for the first time to replace the Application icon in a
> deployed app. I tried both Visual C++ 6 and ResHacker, but whatever I did,
> the app was not startable anymore afterwards.

That sounds as if you are trying to deploy the .exe and then change the icon --
which doesn't  work.

What you have to do is make your own copy of <dolphin>\GUIStub.exe or
<dolphin>\GUIToGo.exe (or one of the console equivalents), and change the icon
resource in that.  You then tell the image stripper to use your new stub file
(it's under the package properties somewhere).

HTH

    -- chris

Re: Icon replace in deployed exe

Jochen Riekhof
> What you have to do is make your own copy of <dolphin>\GUIStub.exe or
> <dolphin>\GUIToGo.exe (or one of the console equivalents), and change the
icon
> resource in that.  You then tell the image stripper to use your new stub
file
> (it's under the package properties somewhere).

Works great, thanks!

However, one problem remains:
The icon in the deployed applications main window (the 16x16 one in the
upper left corner) is the ? icon. I already placed a 16x16 version into the
application icon in the stub. Can I somehow set this as the main shell icon?
It is a small app and I would like to keep it a self-contained exe.

Ciao

...Jochen

Re: Icon replace in deployed exe

Don Rylander-3
Jochen,
"Jochen Riekhof" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
[...]
> However, one problem remains:
> The icon in the deployed applications main window (the 16x16 one in the
> upper left corner) is the ? icon. I already placed a 16x16 version into
the
> application icon in the stub. Can I somehow set this as the main shell
icon?
> It is a small app and I would like to keep it a self-contained exe.
I set this up for myself too long ago, but I think the details are at
http://www.object-arts.co.uk/wiki/html/Dolphin/IconsToGo.htm

HTH,

Don

> Ciao
>
> ...Jochen

Re: Icon replace in deployed exe

Blair McGlashan
"Jochen Riekhof" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> BTW: Is some app icon support planned for D6-Lagoon?

It has been planned, but since it has not yet been done and at the moment
I'm not optimistic that it will get done, there being so much else to
complete. If anyone knows of any freely available code for manipulating icon
resources then this might help, otherwise I think it will have to be shelved
for this release.

Regards

Blair

Re: Icon replace in deployed exe

Jochen Riekhof
> http://www.object-arts.co.uk/wiki/html/Dolphin/IconsToGo.htm

Yep, works now. Especially the hint to set resourceLibrary to nil was very
helpful!

I now simply have put Icon fromId: '!APPLICATION' in both the smallIcon and
largeIcon workspaces of my main Shell in the ViewComposer. I hope it is not
too bad to do this :-).

Thanks again to everybody!

Ciao

...Jochen

Re: Icon replace in deployed exe

Jochen Riekhof
> It has been planned, but since it has not yet been done and at the moment
> I'm not optimistic that it will get done, there being so much else to
> complete. If anyone knows of any freely available code for manipulating
icon
> resources then this might help, otherwise I think it will have to be
shelved
> for this release.

Now that I figured out how to do it, I am fine. I bought VC++ anyway some
years ago ;-).
Of course it would be better if the excellent deployment capabilities of
Dolphin would be rounded up with setting
the application icon(s) in Lagoon, but I can wait ...
Much more important for me and probably some others would be to (finally)
get my hands on the D6 Code mentor, Scintilla editor, full lexical block
closures, rewrite tool,  and so on and so on. BTW:  I would be happy to pay
for a (yearly or whatever time) subscription license and get D6 beta
releases :-)

Ciao

...Jochen

Re: Icon replace in deployed exe

Stefan Schmiedl
On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 18:51:15 +0100,
Jochen Riekhof <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Much more important for me and probably some others would be to (finally)
> get my hands on the D6 Code mentor, Scintilla editor, full lexical block
> closures, rewrite tool,  and so on and so on. BTW:  I would be happy to pay
> for a (yearly or whatever time) subscription license and get D6 beta
> releases :-)

me too (waving large wads of cash high in the air ;-)

s.
--
Stefan Schmiedl
|Approximity GmbH               | EDV-Beratung Schmiedl                  |