Idea Space idea

Bruno Brasesco
Andy & Blair:

* First of all Dolphin 6 is powerful.

A very useful enhancement to Idea Space (from my point of view) is to
have the option to set a fixed caption.
I think is simple but very useful.

Now the caption of the Idea Space is like the selected tab.
But if i can set a fixed caption (as "idea space name") to identify the
idea that i'm working on it.

Example:
Idea Space 1 "GemBuilder for Dolphin"
Idea Space 2 "Web Framework"
So i can see these name in the WindowsXP main tool bar rather than the
selected class, etc.

Regards Bruno

Re: Idea Space idea

tgkuo
On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 00:36:49 -0300, Bruno <[hidden email]>
wrote:
I had the same wish about more enhancements to its capacity to more
full-fledged IDE developing environement, somethings like VB's project
IDE working place, where the whole project condition could be saved as
a file and reloaded as needed as development progressed, besides each
opened code views could be configured as docking or free floated as
wanted.
   I knew there is Tamaris in Squeak, I used it quite a lot, it is
said to be similar to StarBrowser, and is very a convenient tool for
coding work and documation of self explorations. You can put many
kinds of related browsers,  morphs and objects inside the taxonomies
and the Tamaris taxonomies could be saved indivisually or in a whole
as SIXX files and reloaded as needed.

Best regards.

tsun

Re: Idea Space idea

Schwab,Wilhelm K
tgkuo wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 00:36:49 -0300, Bruno <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> I had the same wish about more enhancements to its capacity to more
> full-fledged IDE developing environement, somethings like VB's project
> IDE working place, where the whole project condition could be saved as
> a file and reloaded as needed as development progressed, besides each
> opened code views could be configured as docking or free floated as
> wanted.

You are no doubt aware that saving the image gets you most of that with
no additional functionality; some features of various IDEs arguably
exist because they cannot simply save an image.  However, I agree that
there is some value in being able to launch tools in a customized state;
my filtered browser goodie is a small step toward what you describe, and
I can barely imagine working without it.  So far, I have always found
the image to be sufficient for saving combinations of the resulting
browsers.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: Idea Space idea

kuo-2
From: "Bill Schwab" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You are no doubt aware that saving the image gets you most of that with no
> additional functionality; some features of various IDEs arguably exist
> because they cannot simply save an image.  However, I agree that there is
> some value in being able to launch tools in a customized state; my
> filtered browser goodie is a small step toward what you describe, and I
> can barely imagine working without it.  So far, I have always found the
> image to be sufficient for saving combinations of the resulting browsers.

      My wish is that we can use Idea Spaces as Taxonomies in Tamaris.
      We might be able to reinstall working IDE project ( Idea Spaces ) to
old or fresh image whenever it was reused in condition that testing image
was succumbed to crash inevitably or filled with unreversible errors and
could not be rescued except starting a new one.
      We could then start the original Idea Space over again in the old
image at our setup conditions without any repeat or loss of our precious
work.
      Another advantage is that we could choose to open many of our favorite
projectes ( Idea Spaces)  at our will  in the same time in variety
conditions such as for cross-project collaboration, enhancement or
comparison and closed them freely when not needed, it could be saved without
worry of any loss.

      I supposed it might be easy to implement these serialization work to
Idea Spaces as it is in Squeak with more GUI enhancements by OA.

tsun

Re: Idea Space idea

Blair McGlashan-3
"kuo" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
>      I supposed it might be easy to implement these serialization work to
> Idea Spaces as it is in Squeak with more GUI enhancements by OA.

Well, such serialisation work is more trouble in Dolphin than in Squeak
because we use native widgets, and need to serialise there state as well.
However we've already done this work (so I don't necessarily see that more
GUI enhancements are needed), so you could easily have a go at building on
this to serialise a workspace  yourself. I'd be interested to see how it
works out.

Regards

Blair