Idea for a demo Amber landing page

sebastianconcept
Hey guys,

Take a look at this:

http://ojjs.org/   which is trending here: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=6382490

Amber can do that and so much more. Right?

The thing is that landing page is very cleverly done.

You can very fast assimilate the variety of things that the library helps you to do (~40 seconds?).

How do they do that?

Showing.

Amber current landing page is explaining, the oj landing page is showing.

Showing always beats explaining.

If our next landing page-version show more first (and explain digging on demand) I bet we will awaken more curiosity on Amber and maybe increase the conversion rates.

There you have my two cents of brain food

sebastian

Re: Idea for a demo Amber landing page

Hannes Hirzel
Sebastian,

A similar interesting example is

   https://www.firebase.com/

If you are lured by the promise of the '5 minutes tutorial' button to
actually do it it is pretty rewarding. And you forget about the fact
that in the end it is probably more than five minutes.

Interesting how actually an firebase app is built.

However the amber site has these goodies as well. The interactive
tutorial, the slide shows. However they are not prominently displayed.
Conclusion: There is a lot but it the landing page should make it more
accessible (larger menu, different font?)

Some additional ideas

-  add a http://ojjs.org type of tutorial which explains the HTMLcanvas
-  create a generic amber2013 presentation (based on esug2011,
fosdem2012) which people can customize to there needs.
- give an example of using a third party library, d3 or the firebase,
would fit nicely?

--Hannes

P.S.
On a more immediate level. There is a need to go through
https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/wiki and do a few changes
here and there to update everything for 0.12pre
(https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/wiki/Roadmap)

And http://amber-lang.net/documentation.html should have version
number 0.11 instead of 0.10

On 9/14/13, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> Take a look at this:
>
> http://ojjs.org/   which is trending
> here: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=6382490
>
> Amber can do that and so much more. Right?
>
> The thing is that landing page is very cleverly done.
>
> You can very fast assimilate the variety of things that the library helps
> you to do (~40 seconds?).
>
> How do they do that?
>
> Showing.
>
> Amber current landing page is explaining, the oj landing page is showing.
>
> Showing *always *beats explaining.
>
> If our next landing page-version show more first (and explain digging on
> demand) I bet we will awaken more curiosity on Amber and maybe increase the
>
> conversion rates.
>
> There you have my two cents of brain food
>
> sebastian

Re: Idea for a demo Amber landing page

Darius Clarke
Hi Amber developers,

The podcast for JavaScript Jabber  http://javascriptjabber.com/072-jsj-screencasts/ about the importance of screencasting for uptake of new dev platforms (i.e. JavaScript, Ember and other prior platforms) inspired me to want to make some screencasts of Amber to attract any potential new Amber based web app developers.

However, I won't do this if the video will become outdated quickly. It seems like Amber is in the midst of some major changes from a website developer's perspective ... adding debugging stack, Helios, require, etc. So, I'm holding off for now.

Can we anticipate when Amber will be stable enough from an app dev perspective when we can create screencasts which will be valid for 6 months or more? Should this wait until 1.0 is released?

- Darius

Re: Idea for a demo Amber landing page

Geert Claes
Administrator
Cool, maybe an AngularFire type AmberFire?

Re: Idea for a demo Amber landing page

sebastianconcept
Awesome. That's the thing.

Is not about the font, is about building a cognitive bridge to surpass the initial barrier.

They're using the kind of educational techniques Stanford is using.

We need to be smart

Even if we have no time or resources we should get them.

Sponsors?

seb

o/

On Tuesday, September 17, 2013 9:14:26 AM UTC-3, Geert Claes wrote:
Cool, maybe an  AngularFire <http://angularfire.com>   type AmberFire?

Re: Idea for a demo Amber landing page

Manfred Kröhnert
Hi guys,

I already mentioned a similar idea some months ago and I think that it is a good idea ;-)
The idea was to have an interactive tutorial for getting started with Amber which is built with Amber.
Content wise we can already take stuff from several wiki pages.

For the name I would not copy the name of another side.
Maybe we could go with Amber Room (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amber_Room).
Or Amber Chamber or something.

Best,
Manfred