Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ideas for web hosting for squeak.org?

timrowledge
We have been informed that our sponsored servers are virtually certain to go away at the end of the year. Rackspace has been providing space via the Software Conservancy Foundation but are withdrawing and we cannot afford their normal fees.

So, tell us where we can get space and support to run squeak.org, the swiki, etc.

tim
--
tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
All computers run at the same speed...with the power off.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Ideas for web hosting for squeak.org?

Hannes Hirzel
On 10/4/17, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We have been informed that our sponsored servers are virtually certain to go
> away at the end of the year. Rackspace has been providing space via the
> Software Conservancy Foundation but are withdrawing and we cannot afford
> their normal fees.
>
> So, tell us where we can get space and support to run squeak.org, the swiki,
> etc.

What about putting processes now running in a virtual host into a
container (docker) and then host them as a service where you pay on a
demand basis? I assume that some of the current services are rarely
used.

> tim
> --
> tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
> All computers run at the same speed...with the power off.
>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Hannes Hirzel
And it is probably good to start with 'easy things first'. What are
candidates for this?
The Swiki?

On 10/5/17, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/4/17, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> We have been informed that our sponsored servers are virtually certain to
>> go
>> away at the end of the year. Rackspace has been providing space via the
>> Software Conservancy Foundation but are withdrawing and we cannot afford
>> their normal fees.
>>
>> So, tell us where we can get space and support to run squeak.org, the
>> swiki,
>> etc.
>
> What about putting processes now running in a virtual host into a
> container (docker) and then host them as a service where you pay on a
> demand basis? I assume that some of the current services are rarely
> used.
>
>
>> tim
>> --
>> tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
>> All computers run at the same speed...with the power off.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Edgar De Cleene
In reply to this post by timrowledge
I have a account for my own things in ATSpace with spare space.
And a syncro copy of swiki on "Divagaciones: (ask Hannes).
So people on charge of Squeak web things could contact me

On 10/4/17, 15:29, "tim Rowledge" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We have been informed that our sponsored servers are virtually certain to go
> away at the end of the year. Rackspace has been providing space via the
> Software Conservancy Foundation but are withdrawing and we cannot afford their
> normal fees.

So, tell us where we can get space and support to run
> squeak.org, the swiki, etc.

tim
--
tim Rowledge; [hidden email];
> http://www.rowledge.org/tim
All computers run at the same speed...with the
> power off.

Reply | Threaded
|

Tobias Pape

> On 04.10.2017, at 20:29, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> We have been informed that our sponsored servers are virtually certain to go away at the end of the year. Rackspace has been providing space via the Software Conservancy Foundation but are withdrawing and we cannot afford their normal fees.
>
> So, tell us where we can get space and support to run squeak.org, the swiki, etc.

I have a writeup for the situation over at box-admins.
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/box-admins/2017-October/002455.html

Best regards
        -Tobias

Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Crowther-2
Thanks, Tobias.  Do we know what bandwidth is be used by the various services?

Cheers,

- Peter

On 5 October 2017 at 13:40, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 04.10.2017, at 20:29, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> We have been informed that our sponsored servers are virtually certain to go away at the end of the year. Rackspace has been providing space via the Software Conservancy Foundation but are withdrawing and we cannot afford their normal fees.
>
> So, tell us where we can get space and support to run squeak.org, the swiki, etc.

I have a writeup for the situation over at box-admins.
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/box-admins/2017-October/002455.html

Best regards
        -Tobias

Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Crowther-2
What personal information is stored, if any?

What regulatory environment do we wish to be in?

Cheers,

- Peter

On 4 October 2017 at 19:29, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
We have been informed that our sponsored servers are virtually certain to go away at the end of the year. Rackspace has been providing space via the Software Conservancy Foundation but are withdrawing and we cannot afford their normal fees.

So, tell us where we can get space and support to run squeak.org, the swiki, etc.

tim
--
tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
All computers run at the same speed...with the power off.

Reply | Threaded
|

Tobias Pape
In reply to this post by Peter Crowther-2

> On 06.10.2017, at 10:34, Peter Crowther <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks, Tobias.  Do we know what bandwidth is be used by the various services?

I don't

>
> Cheers,
>
> - Peter
>
> On 5 October 2017 at 13:40, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 04.10.2017, at 20:29, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > We have been informed that our sponsored servers are virtually certain to go away at the end of the year. Rackspace has been providing space via the Software Conservancy Foundation but are withdrawing and we cannot afford their normal fees.
> >
> > So, tell us where we can get space and support to run squeak.org, the swiki, etc.
>
> I have a writeup for the situation over at box-admins.
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/box-admins/2017-October/002455.html
>
> Best regards
>         -Tobias
>
>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Tobias Pape

> On 06.10.2017, at 10:35, Peter Crowther <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> What personal information is stored, if any?
>

What?

> What regulatory environment do we wish to be in?

Dunno. I'm just trying to keep things running.

I'd favour EU, but that's actually none of my business…

>
> Cheers,
>
> - Peter
>
> On 4 October 2017 at 19:29, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
> tim
> --
>
>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Crowther-2
I'd also favour EU, but then *somebody* will have to ensure that we comply with GDPR for any personal information that we store - and I don't know who that would be.  Hence my question.

I wouldn't recommend UK at the moment due to the regulatory turbulence of Brexit.

- Peter

On 13 October 2017 at 15:37, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>

What?

>
> Cheers,
>
> - Peter
>
>
>
> tim
> --
>
>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 13-10-17 20:18, Peter Crowther wrote:
> I'd also favour EU, but then *somebody* will have to ensure that we comply
> with GDPR for any personal information that we store - and I don't know who
> that would be.  Hence my question.

When storing personal information of EU citizens, GDPR applies also
outside of EU.

http://www.eugdpr.org/key-changes.html

Stephan

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruce O'Neel-2
Hi,

Thanks to Stephan's pointer to the eugdpr.org website.  I've spent some time with this and have some comments below.

First, the GDPR will apply if we let EU residents go to the Squeak websites.  Given the popularity of Squeak in the EU that means GDPR regardless of where we physically host it.

Second I think we're going to run into a computer geek view of the world not agreeing with the EU view of the world.  Ie, you sent an email to a public mailing list with your full contact info that is archived forever.  What words in that last sentence did you not understand? 

The things I think we have to comply with are:

1.  Consent.  The users have to know what they are giving us.  Cookie notifications on the main webpage and some sort of page that describes what we log for access like IP addresses, etc.  We also have to make clear how long info is stored.  So if the webserver keeps that last 30 days of IP address logs than that has to be clear.  We also have an age problem.  We will need parental consent if there are users under 16.  For the wiki, mailing lists etc we need to be clear what additional info is gathered.  This is probably the easy one.

2.  Breach notification, Right to Access, and Right to be forgotten are going to be harder.

The places where we collect more personal info than just IP address are for the Wiki, the Mailing lists, and the bug tracker.  In all three cases we would need to have enough info that:

1.  For breach notification we can actually notify folks.  We would need to collect email addresses in all cases for that to work.
2.  For right to access we would have to be able to show ALL the info we've kept on a particular user.  All posts to the email lists, all swiki entries, etc.
3.  And for right to be forgotten we would have to allow users to delete ALL the data we've captured.  All swiki entries, all archived email, etc.  This is probably the hardest.

For number 2, the right to access, would all be easiest if the wiki, email and bug trackers had a unified account, but, it probably would be ok if one had three accounts.  None the less you have to be able to see all your entries in all three.

Number 3 is the trickiest especially with the mailing list archive.  People's postings and signatures get copied into other threads and other's emails.   It might be hard to keep the archives in that case.  Getting this one right starts sounding like an AI research problem.

Someone asked about the DPO (Data Protection Officer).  The way I read http://www.eugdpr.org/gdpr-faqs.html is no, we do not need this.
There are other issues but I think these are the most important.

NB:  I am not an expert, though I do spend some time professionally on this, and, will be spending more time in the future.  This advice is worth every centime you've paid for it as well.

cheers

bruce

13 October 2017 20:18 Peter Crowther <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'd also favour EU, but then *somebody* will have to ensure that we comply with GDPR for any personal information that we store - and I don't know who that would be.  Hence my question.

I wouldn't recommend UK at the moment due to the regulatory turbulence of Brexit.
- Peter

>
>

What?

>
> Cheers,
>
> - Peter
>
>
>
> tim
> --
>
>
>
>
>

<>

Reply | Threaded
|

Ben Coman

On Sun, Oct 15, 2017 at 4:48 PM, Bruce O'Neel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Thanks to Stephan's pointer to the eugdpr.org website.  I've spent some time with this and have some comments below.

First, the GDPR will apply if we let EU residents go to the Squeak websites.  Given the popularity of Squeak in the EU that means GDPR regardless of where we physically host it.

Second I think we're going to run into a computer geek view of the world not agreeing with the EU view of the world.  Ie, you sent an email to a public mailing list with your full contact info that is archived forever.  What words in that last sentence did you not understand? 

1.  Consent.  The users have to know what they are giving us.  Cookie notifications on the main webpage and some sort of page that describes what we log for access like IP addresses, etc.  We also have to make clear how long info is stored.  So if the webserver keeps that last 30 days of IP address logs than that has to be clear.  We also have an age problem.  We will need parental consent if there are users under 16.  For the wiki, mailing lists etc we need to be clear what additional info is gathered.  This is probably the easy one.

2.  Breach notification, Right to Access, and Right to be forgotten are going to be harder.

The places where we collect more personal info than just IP address are for the Wiki, the Mailing lists, and the bug tracker.  In all three cases we would need to have enough info that:

1.  For breach notification we can actually notify folks.  We would need to collect email addresses in all cases for that to work.

Increasing the amount of personal data held by collecting additional email address solely to advise of a breach seems counter productive to the GDPR's spirit of data minimisation.

I can't imagine that normal traffic to public mail lists could be construed to pose "high risk to the rights and freedoms of natural persons". So 34.1  [1] might not apply, and a public mail list announcement may suffice rather than a personalise notice.

2.  For right to access we would have to be able to show ALL the info we've kept on a particular user.  All posts to the email lists, all swiki entries, etc.

This information is already publicly available.  Don't subjects implicitly already have "access" ?

3.  And for right to be forgotten we would have to allow users to delete ALL the data we've captured.  All swiki entries, all archived email, etc.  This is probably the hardest.

Balancing this is the "right to freedom of expression and information, including processing for journalistic purposes" [2] and "archiving purposes in the public interest" [3].

cheers -ben (ianal)

For number 2, the right to access, would all be easiest if the wiki, email and bug trackers had a unified account, but, it probably would be ok if one had three accounts.  None the less you have to be able to see all your entries in all three.

Number 3 is the trickiest especially with the mailing list archive.  People's postings and signatures get copied into other threads and other's emails.   It might be hard to keep the archives in that case.  Getting this one right starts sounding like an AI research problem.

Someone asked about the DPO (Data Protection Officer).  The way I read http://www.eugdpr.org/gdpr-faqs.html is no, we do not need this.

NB:  I am not an expert, though I do spend some time professionally on this, and, will be spending more time in the future.  This advice is worth every centime you've paid for it as well.

cheers

bruce

- Peter

>
>

What?

>
> Cheers,
>
> - Peter
>
>
>
> tim
> --
>
>
>
>
>

<>

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruce O'Neel-2
Hi,

Thanks.  All excellent points.  

cheers

bruce

15 October 2017 15:06 Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sun, Oct 15, 2017 at 4:48 PM, Bruce O'Neel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Thanks to Stephan's pointer to the eugdpr.org website.  I've spent some time with this and have some comments below.

First, the GDPR will apply if we let EU residents go to the Squeak websites.  Given the popularity of Squeak in the EU that means GDPR regardless of where we physically host it.

Second I think we're going to run into a computer geek view of the world not agreeing with the EU view of the world.  Ie, you sent an email to a public mailing list with your full contact info that is archived forever.  What words in that last sentence did you not understand? 

1.  Consent.  The users have to know what they are giving us.  Cookie notifications on the main webpage and some sort of page that describes what we log for access like IP addresses, etc.  We also have to make clear how long info is stored.  So if the webserver keeps that last 30 days of IP address logs than that has to be clear.  We also have an age problem.  We will need parental consent if there are users under 16.  For the wiki, mailing lists etc we need to be clear what additional info is gathered.  This is probably the easy one.

2.  Breach notification, Right to Access, and Right to be forgotten are going to be harder.

The places where we collect more personal info than just IP address are for the Wiki, the Mailing lists, and the bug tracker.  In all three cases we would need to have enough info that:

1.  For breach notification we can actually notify folks.  We would need to collect email addresses in all cases for that to work.

Increasing the amount of personal data held by collecting additional email address solely to advise of a breach seems counter productive to the GDPR's spirit of data minimisation.

I can't imagine that normal traffic to public mail lists could be construed to pose "high risk to the rights and freedoms of natural persons". So 34.1  [1] might not apply, and a public mail list announcement may suffice rather than a personalise notice.

2.  For right to access we would have to be able to show ALL the info we've kept on a particular user.  All posts to the email lists, all swiki entries, etc.

This information is already publicly available.  Don't subjects implicitly already have "access" ?

3.  And for right to be forgotten we would have to allow users to delete ALL the data we've captured.  All swiki entries, all archived email, etc.  This is probably the hardest.

Balancing this is the "right to freedom of expression and information, including processing for journalistic purposes" [2] and "archiving purposes in the public interest" [3].

cheers -ben (ianal)

For number 2, the right to access, would all be easiest if the wiki, email and bug trackers had a unified account, but, it probably would be ok if one had three accounts.  None the less you have to be able to see all your entries in all three.

Number 3 is the trickiest especially with the mailing list archive.  People's postings and signatures get copied into other threads and other's emails.   It might be hard to keep the archives in that case.  Getting this one right starts sounding like an AI research problem.

Someone asked about the DPO (Data Protection Officer).  The way I read http://www.eugdpr.org/gdpr-faqs.html is no, we do not need this.

NB:  I am not an expert, though I do spend some time professionally on this, and, will be spending more time in the future.  This advice is worth every centime you've paid for it as well.

cheers

bruce

- Peter

>
>

What?

>
> Cheers,
>
> - Peter
>
>
>
> tim
> --
>
>
>
>
>

<>

Reply | Threaded
|

David T. Lewis
In reply to this post by Bruce O'Neel-2
Thanks Bruce,

On Sun, Oct 15, 2017 at 10:48:32AM +0200, Bruce O'Neel wrote:
>
> Hi,  
>  
> Thanks to Stephan's pointer to the eugdpr.org website. ??I've spent some time with this and have some comments below.  
>  
> First, the GDPR will apply if we let EU residents go to the Squeak websites. ??Given the popularity of Squeak in the EU that means GDPR regardless of where we physically host it.  
>  

With respect to our immediate concern of moving the squeak.org services
to a different provider, your point above captures what we need to know:
The geographical location of the servers does not matter, and it is OK
to use a provider based in Europe.

Thanks,
Dave

> Second I think we're going to run into a computer geek view of the world not agreeing with the EU view of the world. ??Ie, you sent an email to a public mailing list with your full contact info that is archived forever. ??What words in that last sentence did you not understand???  
>  
> The things I think we have to comply with are:  
>  
> 1. ??Consent. ??The users have to know what they are giving us. ??Cookie notifications on the main webpage and some sort of page that describes what we log for access like IP addresses, etc. ??We also have to make clear how long info is stored. ??So if the webserver keeps that last 30 days of IP address logs than that has to be clear. ??We also have an age problem. ??We will need parental consent if there are users under 16. ??For the wiki, mailing lists etc we need to be clear what additional info is gathered. ??This is probably the easy one.  
>  
> 2. ??Breach notification, Right to Access, and Right to be forgotten are going to be harder.  
>  
> The places where we collect more personal info than just IP address are for the Wiki, the Mailing lists, and the bug tracker. ??In all three cases we would need to have enough info that:  
>  
> 1. ??For breach notification we can actually notify folks. ??We would need to collect email addresses in all cases for that to work.  
> 2. ??For right to access we would have to be able to show ALL the info we've kept on a particular user. ??All posts to the email lists, all swiki entries, etc.  
> 3. ??And for right to be forgotten we would have to allow users to delete ALL the data we've captured. ??All swiki entries, all archived email, etc. ??This is probably the hardest.  
>  
> For number 2, the right to access, would all be easiest if the wiki, email and bug trackers had a unified account, but, it probably would be ok if one had three accounts. ??None the less you have to be able to see all your entries in all three.  
>  
> Number 3 is the trickiest especially with the mailing list archive. ??People's postings and signatures get copied into other threads and other's emails. ?? It might be hard to keep the archives in that case. ??Getting this one right starts sounding like an AI research problem.  
>  
> Someone asked about the DPO (Data Protection Officer). ??The way I read??[http://www.eugdpr.org/gdpr-faqs.html](http://www.eugdpr.org/gdpr-faqs.html)??is no, we do not need this.There are other issues but I think these are the most important.  
>  
> NB: ??I am not an expert, though I do spend some time professionally on this, and, will be spending more time in the future. ??This advice is worth every centime you've paid for it as well.  
>  
> cheers  
>  
> bruce  
>  
>  
>  
>
>
>  
>

>

Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Crowther-2
On 15 October 2017 at 16:04, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

This.  Great, we can move on!  There's a separate issue of GDPR compliance, but that's a separate issue.

Now... next mad question.  Do we want to maximise ease of maintenance, minimise cost, or some combination of the two?  For example, I have an existing virtual host that's already running a Swiki for other purposes, and I'd be happy to host the Squeak Swiki free, gratis, and for nothing - and potentially other low-traffic services.  But that moves the Swiki away from central management, and potentially complicates the data protection situation.  To what extent do we want that?

Cheers,

- Peter

Reply | Threaded
|

Hannes Hirzel
Something similar to what Peter says about the Wiki applies for
running a Mantis instance. Services running Mantis are available. Just
the data needs to be loaded. Mantis is not used much, but it should be
kept for archival and reference purposes.

--Hannes

On 10/16/17, Peter Crowther <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 15 October 2017 at 16:04, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> With respect to our immediate concern of moving the squeak.org services
>> to a different provider, your point above captures what we need to know:
>> The geographical location of the servers does not matter, and it is OK
>> to use a provider based in Europe.
>>
>> This.  Great, we can move on!  There's a separate issue of GDPR
> compliance, but that's a separate issue.
>
> Now... next mad question.  Do we want to maximise ease of maintenance,
> minimise cost, or some combination of the two?  For example, I have an
> existing virtual host that's already running a Swiki for other purposes,
> and I'd be happy to host the Squeak Swiki free, gratis, and for nothing -
> and potentially other low-traffic services.  But that moves the Swiki away
> from central management, and potentially complicates the data protection
> situation.  To what extent do we want that?
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Peter
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Alan Pinch

Have you asked protonmail, if they could recommend such services?

On 10/16/2017 04:18 AM, Peter Crowther wrote:

This.  Great, we can move on!  There's a separate issue of GDPR compliance, but that's a separate issue.

Now... next mad question.  Do we want to maximise ease of maintenance, minimise cost, or some combination of the two?  For example, I have an existing virtual host that's already running a Swiki for other purposes, and I'd be happy to host the Squeak Swiki free, gratis, and for nothing - and potentially other low-traffic services.  But that moves the Swiki away from central management, and potentially complicates the data protection situation.  To what extent do we want that?

Cheers,

- Peter

-- 
Thank you for your consideration,
Alan

Reply | Threaded
|

Alan Pinch

They are based in Switzerland.

On 10/16/2017 06:41 AM, Alan Pinch wrote:

Have you asked protonmail, if they could recommend such services?

On 10/16/2017 04:18 AM, Peter Crowther wrote:

Cheers,

- Peter

-- 
Alan

-- 
Alan