Ideas worth stealing

12

Ideas worth stealing

tblanchard
With the idea that no good idea should go un-stolen, allow me to
introduce seaside fans to active scaffold http://activescaffold.com.

I am wrapping up a ruby on rails engagement with a client and
discovered this framework.  I ended up using ROR because the client
had an existing mysql database and Squeak's mysql support isn't so hot
where rails is all about mysql, and I had only a couple "flows" but a
whole lot of plain old admin-CRUD to do and rails excels at plain crud
on mysql.  With activescaffold - I had to write very little code for
the admin UI - a major plus because this project is on a very tight
timeline.

Anyhow, activescaffold works with activerecord and infers a really
slick AJAX UI that supports sensible CRUD more or less instantly.
Once installed, you can go through and customize views by adding
actions links, filtering columns, and generally overriding bits of
logic to make it more task focused.

It would be really cool to have a similar facility in Seaside.

Cheers,
-Todd Blanchard

Re: Ideas worth stealing

James Robertson-7
Cincom is doing exactly that - combining the ActiveRecord pattern with
scaffolding.  Have a look here:

http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/mls/blogView?showComments=true&printTitle=WebVelocity_alpha_screencast&entry=3388846573

James Robertson
Cincom Smalltalk Product Evangelist
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView
Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library

On May 30, 2008, at 3:13 AM, Todd Blanchard wrote:

> With the idea that no good idea should go un-stolen, allow me to
> introduce seaside fans to active scaffold http://activescaffold.com.
>
> I am wrapping up a ruby on rails engagement with a client and
> discovered this framework.  I ended up using ROR because the client
> had an existing mysql database and Squeak's mysql support isn't so
> hot where rails is all about mysql, and I had only a couple "flows"
> but a whole lot of plain old admin-CRUD to do and rails excels at
> plain crud on mysql.  With activescaffold - I had to write very
> little code for the admin UI - a major plus because this project is
> on a very tight timeline.
>
> Anyhow, activescaffold works with activerecord and infers a really
> slick AJAX UI that supports sensible CRUD more or less instantly.
> Once installed, you can go through and customize views by adding
> actions links, filtering columns, and generally overriding bits of
> logic to make it more task focused.
>
> It would be really cool to have a similar facility in Seaside.
>
> Cheers,
> -Todd Blanchard

Re: Ideas worth stealing

tblanchard
I watched the screencast.  It is not the same thing.  I think you guys
are missing something key in that project of yours.

Active scaffold simply lets me point the app at a db and ZAM total
admin UI that looks nice with AJAX master detail editing.  I can then
filter out attributes that people ought not to edit, apply
permissions, and decorate the app with task links.

The demo shows app development.  I didn't develop a thing apart from
specify some mappings because the database used weird and inconsistent
naming conventions.

I also found it interesting that the app being developed in the
screencast didn't look nearly as sophisticated as the tools being used
to build it.  I don't find that a good selling point.

-Todd Blanchard

On May 30, 2008, at 4:28 AM, James Robertson wrote:

> Cincom is doing exactly that - combining the ActiveRecord pattern
> with scaffolding.  Have a look here:
>
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/mls/blogView?showComments=true&printTitle=WebVelocity_alpha_screencast&entry=3388846573
>
> James Robertson
> Cincom Smalltalk Product Evangelist
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView
> Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library
>

> On May 30, 2008, at 3:13 AM, Todd Blanchard wrote:
>
>> With the idea that no good idea should go un-stolen, allow me to
>> introduce seaside fans to active scaffold http://activescaffold.com.
>>
>> I am wrapping up a ruby on rails engagement with a client and
>> discovered this framework.  I ended up using ROR because the client
>> had an existing mysql database and Squeak's mysql support isn't so
>> hot where rails is all about mysql, and I had only a couple "flows"
>> but a whole lot of plain old admin-CRUD to do and rails excels at
>> plain crud on mysql.  With activescaffold - I had to write very
>> little code for the admin UI - a major plus because this project is
>> on a very tight timeline.
>>
>> Anyhow, activescaffold works with activerecord and infers a really
>> slick AJAX UI that supports sensible CRUD more or less instantly.
>> Once installed, you can go through and customize views by adding
>> actions links, filtering columns, and generally overriding bits of
>> logic to make it more task focused.
>>
>> It would be really cool to have a similar facility in Seaside.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -Todd Blanchard

Re: Ideas worth stealing

stephane ducasse
todd
do you think that magritte could help there?

Stef

On May 31, 2008, at 1:04 AM, Todd Blanchard wrote:

> I watched the screencast.  It is not the same thing.  I think you
> guys are missing something key in that project of yours.
>
> Active scaffold simply lets me point the app at a db and ZAM total
> admin UI that looks nice with AJAX master detail editing.  I can
> then filter out attributes that people ought not to edit, apply
> permissions, and decorate the app with task links.
>
> The demo shows app development.  I didn't develop a thing apart from
> specify some mappings because the database used weird and
> inconsistent naming conventions.
>
> I also found it interesting that the app being developed in the
> screencast didn't look nearly as sophisticated as the tools being
> used to build it.  I don't find that a good selling point.
>
> -Todd Blanchard
>
> On May 30, 2008, at 4:28 AM, James Robertson wrote:
>
>> Cincom is doing exactly that - combining the ActiveRecord pattern
>> with scaffolding.  Have a look here:
>>
>> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/mls/blogView?showComments=true&printTitle=WebVelocity_alpha_screencast&entry=3388846573
>>
>> James Robertson
>> Cincom Smalltalk Product Evangelist
>> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView
>> Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library
>>

>> On May 30, 2008, at 3:13 AM, Todd Blanchard wrote:
>>
>>> With the idea that no good idea should go un-stolen, allow me to
>>> introduce seaside fans to active scaffold http://activescaffold.com.
>>>
>>> I am wrapping up a ruby on rails engagement with a client and
>>> discovered this framework.  I ended up using ROR because the
>>> client had an existing mysql database and Squeak's mysql support
>>> isn't so hot where rails is all about mysql, and I had only a
>>> couple "flows" but a whole lot of plain old admin-CRUD to do and
>>> rails excels at plain crud on mysql.  With activescaffold - I had
>>> to write very little code for the admin UI - a major plus because
>>> this project is on a very tight timeline.
>>>
>>> Anyhow, activescaffold works with activerecord and infers a really
>>> slick AJAX UI that supports sensible CRUD more or less instantly.
>>> Once installed, you can go through and customize views by adding
>>> actions links, filtering columns, and generally overriding bits of
>>> logic to make it more task focused.
>>>
>>> It would be really cool to have a similar facility in Seaside.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> -Todd Blanchard

Re: Ideas worth stealing

tblanchard
That is an interesting question - I've taken a run with magritte once or twice and did not make satisfactory progress and abandoned it.

I found the method of defining the meta model in magritte to be rather ponderous and awkward.

Not that it isn't expressive, but I don't know all the parts/mappings/kinds of things - I spent all this time looking at the docs or examples.  Also the documentation is non-existent.  Really, if you want to get people to use magritte - STOP CODING AND START DOCUMENTING - I don't have time to figure it out from the examples or pier or any running code.  I want docs and code snippets I can steal and modify. I want them in a nicely indexed web site so I can find a solution to my exact problem using google in about sixty seconds.

Note website for activescaffold: http://activescaffold.com
Click on documentation.  Wow, everything I need to know right there.  Brilliant. Where is the equivalent resource for Magritte?  Google couldn't find it.

Most of what you need to define the magritte model is already in the database schema - so can magritte just infer the fields and let me just customize it's behavior?

The missing part in the database is the mapping of widgets and the order or presentation of fields.

In the system I am doing (sells tickets to a new museum) there is

Order->OrderTransactions (subclassed to Purchase,Exchange,Return)->Tickets (actually two relations - tickets added, tickets removed)

The code to get a fully functioning back office/admin UI to edit this entire network is below - there's very little of it.  Most of the code is just to customize elements - change labels for columns, change column order, suppress presentation of some columns or relationships.

Why I picked Rails:

1) I already had an existing mysql database I had to use.
2) Client wanted a technology with a large local pool of talent he could hire - robotcoop is nearby (spinoff of amazon.com) - they are all rails and it is easy to hire people from there
3) I had a lot of UI that is back office and can be kind of ugyly/auto-generated and only a little public UI (ticket purchase flow)
4) Rails has a number of scalable deployment recipes available - I'm using apache->mongrel cluster.   I will add capistrano to automate upgrade deployments
5) I'm replacing an equivalent system written in a nightmare combination of Java/Hibernate/Cocoon-js/xml-xslt/tomcat that nobody wants to maintain.  I can't learn that many languages - but I most certainly can steal/translate logic and templates - it was easy to translate jsp to rhtml templates.

For your amusement - the entirety of the order/ordertransaction/ticket code is below - it does a two level master-detail view with ajax updates in a single page.  It took me almost no time at all to get this working and the majority of the code you see is just appearance tweaks or action disabling.

:
#model - (all of it - really)
class Order < ActiveRecord::Base
    set_table_name 'orders'
    has_many :order_transactions, :class_name => 'OrderTransaction', :foreign_key => 'order_id', :dependent => :destroy
    belongs_to :purchaseTransaction, :class_name => 'TicketPurchase', :foreign_key => 'purchaseTransaction'
end

class OrderTransaction < ActiveRecord::Base
    has_many :ticketsReturned, :class_name => 'Ticket', :foreign_key => 'returnTransaction', :include => [:price, :product], :dependent => :destroy, :order => 'sequence_number'
    has_many :ticketsAdded, :class_name => 'Ticket', :foreign_key => 'originatingTransaction', :include => [:price, :product], :dependent => :destroy, :order => 'sequence_number'

class TicketPurchase <  OrderTransaction
end

class TicketExchange <  OrderTransaction
end

class TicketReturn <  OrderTransaction
end

class Ticket < ActiveRecord::Base
end

#controllers - tops is most complicated - remove create update and delete abilities - add some action links (all of it)
class Admin::OrderController < AdminController
    layout "admin"
    active_scaffold :orders do | config |
      config.actions.exclude :delete
      config.actions.exclude :update
      config.actions.exclude :create
      config.action_links.add :resend_email, :label => 'Resend Email', :type => :record, :position => false, :confirm => 'Resend purchase confirmation email?'
      config.action_links.add :exchange_tickets, :label => 'Exchange Tickets', :type => :record, :position => :after, :crud_type => :update
      config.action_links.add :refund_tickets, :label => 'Refund Tickets', :type => :record, :position => :after, :crud_type => :update
        list.sorting = {:date => 'ASC'}
        config.list.columns = [:date, :commissionAccount, :nameFirst, :nameLast, :emailAddress, :order_transactions]
        config.list.per_page = 100
        config.columns = [:date, :commissionAccount, :nameFirst, :nameLast, :emailAddress, :address1, :address2, :city, :state, :zip, :country, :order_transactions]
    end
end

class Admin::OrderTransactionController < AdminController
  layout "admin"
  active_scaffold :order_transaction do | config |
    config.list.columns = [:date, :type, :channel, :payment, :credit, :ticketsAdded, :ticketsReturned]
    config.actions.exclude :delete
    config.actions.exclude :update
    config.actions.exclude :create
  end
end

class Admin::TicketController < AdminController
  layout "admin"
  active_scaffold :ticket do | config |
    config.list.columns = [:forGto, :validForDate, :product, :price, :status, :purchasePrice, :serviceCharge, :order]
    config.list.per_page = 100
    list.sorting = {:validForDate => 'ASC'}
    columns[:validForDate].label = "Date"
    columns[:product].label = "Description"
    columns[:price].label = "Ticket"
    columns[:purchasePrice].label = "Price"
    columns[:serviceCharge].label = "Service Charge"
    config.actions.exclude :delete
    config.actions.exclude :update
    config.actions.exclude :create
  end

#views - auto-generated - no code at all

On Jun 1, 2008, at 12:47 AM, stephane ducasse wrote:

[...]

Hi Todd

You are right but you can also participate.
You want a lot and we are few.
Just a reminder Lukas delivers a lot of high quality code:
                Pier
                Seaside
                Magritte
Lukas is helping maintaining the website of seaside, doing a PhD, ...
I always mentioned that it would be good to have Magritte to produce
simple table and sql mapping.
Now if nobody builds something for what he needs then it will not exist.
I think that Seasiders could share more. May be there is not enough
producers
compared to the consumers.

Stef

On Jun 1, 2008, at 8:45 PM, Todd Blanchard wrote:

> [...]
>> do you think that magritte could help there?
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On May 31, 2008, at 1:04 AM, Todd Blanchard wrote:
>>
>>> I watched the screencast.  It is not the same thing.  I think you
>>> guys are missing something key in that project of yours.
>>>
>>> Active scaffold simply lets me point the app at a db and ZAM total
>>> admin UI that looks nice with AJAX master detail editing.  I can
>>> then filter out attributes that people ought not to edit, apply
>>> permissions, and decorate the app with task links.
>>>
>>> The demo shows app development.  I didn't develop a thing apart
>>> from specify some mappings because the database used weird and
>>> inconsistent naming conventions.
>>>
>>> I also found it interesting that the app being developed in the
>>> screencast didn't look nearly as sophisticated as the tools being
>>> used to build it.  I don't find that a good selling point.

Ah, please don't get me wrong.  I don't actually like RoR.  I find Ruby's syntax to be confusing and pointlessly complex.  OTOH, it has the right mix of stuff for the mission and I'm getting more comfortable with it.  But I still don't really like it.

I do independent software development from my home.  I cater to small businesses - largely because nobody else does and they need software too.  These clients are very sensitive to price and time to delivery.

I select the technology stack for each project based on the needs of the client.  I'm just explaining why Seaside hasn't been getting picked.  There are things I or my clients need that it just doesn't have.  A good CRUD story on mysql is one of them.  Documentation is another.  Deployment is a third (although I remain hopeful for GLASS).

When I make contributions to software projects, it is usually in the context of a project.  I'll solve problems in the context of whatever I'm working in.  I'd love to take the time out to contribute to Seaside but if I'm not using it, I'm not likely to be able to do it.

It doesn't help that my septic system packed it up this spring and I have to pay for a replacement - I'm not turning down any work this year and I'm short of spare cycles to give away.  Usually I take the summer off to do whatever I like. :-(

So, short answer - I would love to dive in and crack this nut - but I don't have the resources to do it right now.

On Jun 1, 2008, at 12:25 PM, Conrad Taylor wrote:

[...]

I think that Seaside has been moving very fast the last year or so and
I have not been able to keep up with it when I don't have client work
that I can use it on.  For awhile it was kind of the Lukas and
Philippe show and things were just too much in flux to go near it.
Since 2.8 is released, I think this is no longer true.

What would be really great would be for people to stop building the
next seaside and start building things WITH seaside to share.  It is
the classic Smalltalk problem - we have the best tools and we spend
all of our time using them to build better tools. :-)

Seriously - a huge contribution would be an empty seaside app that
allows users to register, login, recover passwords, and an
administrator UI to allow assigning permissions levels (just tags) to
the users and mass mail them.  This could serve as the basis for
building any number of additional seaside apps on top of it and would
hopefully foster a lot of activity in building community extensions on
top of it.   So if anyone is looking for an idea....

Scalable deployment recipes are lacking as well.

A VERY common problem one finds on the web is the desire to have an
instant community website with forums, a blog, some static content
(marketing info or instructional manuals) and a little store to charge
money for things. Google 'integrate phpbb wordpress' to get a feel for
how many people want to do this.

I've spent a lot of time with Drupal lately.  As a user, I love how I
can download and install features into an integrated website.  As a
developer, I've found that module development in Drupal is REALLY hard
and obscure.  my drupal site is http://audiofreakshow.com.  I wrote a
MIDI performance app last summer and I want to sell license activation
keys through this site.  I've found drupal module development to be
really hard to get into and I'm not making any headway on that.  It is
sad because it is the only thing keeping me from marketing JambaLaya
seriously.  It would be cool to use a seaside site to do this, but all
I had to do to get the drupal site to where it is was download modules
and hack a bit of CSS.  I did it in a few hours.

I would love to dive in and participate - sadly I have two more RoR
projects in the queue - one launches this week, another will take all
summer.  But I will keep looking for opportunities to help.  I just
have this cash flow problem you see....

-Todd Blanchard

On Jun 1, 2008, at 11:56 AM, stephane ducasse wrote:

> [...]
>>  layout "admin"
>>  active_scaffold :ticket do | config |
>>    config.list.columns =
>> [:forGto
>> , :validForDate
>> , :product, :price, :status, :purchasePrice, :serviceCharge, :order]
>>    config.list.per_page = 100
>>    list.sorting = {:validForDate => 'ASC'}
>>    columns[:validForDate].label = "Date"
>>    columns[:product].label = "Description"
>>    columns[:price].label = "Ticket"
>>    columns[:purchasePrice].label = "Price"
>>    columns[:serviceCharge].label = "Service Charge"
>>    config.actions.exclude :delete
>>    config.actions.exclude :update
>>    config.actions.exclude :create
>>  end
>>
>> #views - auto-generated - no code at all
>>

>> On Jun 1, 2008, at 12:47 AM, stephane ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> todd
>>> do you think that magritte could help there?

Re: Ideas worth stealing

Edward Stow
> A VERY common problem one finds on the web is the desire to have an instant
> community website with forums, a blog, some static content (marketing info
> or instructional manuals) and a little store to charge money for things.
> Google 'integrate phpbb wordpress' to get a feel for how many people want to
> do this.

I find myself also needing these features.

Currently I have a fledgling application that has a major google  maps
component and requires  features typical in a community based site:
user administration, forums, messages, comments etc.  Plus a small
amount of server side code to manage the maps.

Unfortunately Pier does not contain the extensive feature set
available in many OS forum projects.  Currently under consideration is
Vanila http://getvanilla.com/

My client would prefer to use MySql,  and as much as it may be derided
as an RDBMS,  for 95% of  projects it is good enough. It is the
defacto standard server side dbms.  Squeak must learn how to play well
with MySql to be considered in the mix of open source solutions.

I haven't as yet written Seaside out of the picture, and I personally
love using smalltalk, but also need to write applications with the
best available and feature rich components and just now Seaside is not
hitting the mark.

--
Edward Stow

Re: Ideas worth stealing

stephane ducasse
I understand. The message was not only for you :)

Stef

On Jun 2, 2008, at 2:43 AM, Todd Blanchard wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> I am wrapping up a ruby on rails engagement with a client and
>> discovered this framework.  I ended up using ROR because the client
>> had an existing mysql database and Squeak's mysql support isn't so
>> hot where rails is all about mysql, and I had only a couple "flows"
>> but a whole lot of plain old admin-CRUD to do and rails excels at
>> plain crud on mysql.  With activescaffold - I had to write very
>> little code for the admin UI - a major plus because this project is
>> on a very tight timeline.
>>
>> Anyhow, activescaffold works with activerecord and infers a really
>> slick AJAX UI that supports sensible CRUD more or less instantly.
>> Once installed, you can go through and customize views by adding
>> actions links, filtering columns, and generally overriding bits of
>> logic to make it more task focused.
>>
>> It would be really cool to have a similar facility in Seaside.

Re: Ideas worth stealing

stephane ducasse
Lukas decided to package pier in a more user friendly way.
So we will really start using it.

Stef

On Jun 2, 2008, at 3:13 AM, Todd Blanchard wrote:

> [...]
>>>   config.actions.exclude :create
>>> end
>>> end
>>>
>>> class Admin::TicketController < AdminController
>>> layout "admin"
>>> active_scaffold :ticket do | config |
>>>   config.list.columns =
>>> [:forGto
>>> , :validForDate
>>> , :product, :price, :status, :purchasePrice, :serviceCharge, :order]
>>>   config.list.per_page = 100
>>>   list.sorting = {:validForDate => 'ASC'}
>>>   columns[:validForDate].label = "Date"
>>>   columns[:product].label = "Description"
>>>   columns[:price].label = "Ticket"
>>>   columns[:purchasePrice].label = "Price"
>>>   columns[:serviceCharge].label = "Service Charge"
>>>   config.actions.exclude :delete
>>>   config.actions.exclude :update
>>>   config.actions.exclude :create
>>> end
>>>
>>> #views - auto-generated - no code at all

Re: Ideas worth stealing

stephane ducasse
So may be we should really do a call for a bounty:
        if we all put a bit of money and ESUG is pushing then we should
        be able to create something.
        I imagine that ESUG could put around 2500 Euros to start.

Stef

On Jun 2, 2008, at 4:53 AM, Edward Stow wrote:

>> A VERY common problem one finds on the web is the desire to have an
>> instant
>> community website with forums, a blog, some static content
>> (marketing info
>> or instructional manuals) and a little store to charge money for
>> things.
>> Google 'integrate phpbb wordpress' to get a feel for how many
>> people want to
>> do this.
>>
> I find myself also needing these features.
>
> Currently I have a fledgling application that has a major google  maps
> component and requires  features typical in a community based site:
> user administration, forums, messages, comments etc.  Plus a small
> amount of server side code to manage the maps.
>
> Unfortunately Pier does not contain the extensive feature set
> available in many OS forum projects.  Currently under consideration is
> Vanila http://getvanilla.com/
>
> My client would prefer to use MySql,  and as much as it may be derided
> as an RDBMS,  for 95% of  projects it is good enough. It is the
> defacto standard server side dbms.  Squeak must learn how to play well
> with MySql to be considered in the mix of open source solutions.
>
> I haven't as yet written Seaside out of the picture, and I personally
> love using smalltalk, but also need to write applications with the
> best available and feature rich components and just now Seaside is not
> hitting the mark.
>
> --
> Edward Stow

Re: Ideas worth stealing

EstebanLM
Maybe is time to start thinking in a "Seaside full stack"?

I think there are some tasks we (as a community) should do for enforce
seaside adoption, that does not belong to seaside it self, but would be
cool to have.

I think we need to cover:
- Persistence for the Seaside (maybe a "Coral" project?)
I think this as an abstraction layer with you can choose between a
magma solution and a glorp solution.
- Integration for the Seaside ("FlyingFish", "Shipyard"?)
an abstraction layer to publicate and consume web services (awful but
necesary for productive applications) and maybe another and coolest
integration ways, such as hessian.
- And of course, a "Describe it all" ("Voyage"?)
based on magritte, we should provide a way to do all of this in a clean
and elegant way.

What do you think?

On 2008-06-02 03:45:50 -0300, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> said:

> So may be we should really do a call for a bounty:
> if we all put a bit of money and ESUG is pushing then we should
> be able to create something.
> I imagine that ESUG could put around 2500 Euros to start.
>
> Stef
>

> On Jun 2, 2008, at 4:53 AM, Edward Stow wrote:
>
>>> A VERY common problem one finds on the web is the desire to have an  instant
>>> community website with forums, a blog, some static content  (marketing info
>>> or instructional manuals) and a little store to charge money for  things.
>>> Google 'integrate phpbb wordpress' to get a feel for how many  people want to
>>> do this.
>>>
>> I find myself also needing these features.
>>
>> Currently I have a fledgling application that has a major google  maps
>> component and requires  features typical in a community based site:
>> user administration, forums, messages, comments etc.  Plus a small
>> amount of server side code to manage the maps.
>>
>> Unfortunately Pier does not contain the extensive feature set
>> available in many OS forum projects.  Currently under consideration is
>> Vanila http://getvanilla.com/
>>
>> My client would prefer to use MySql,  and as much as it may be derided
>> as an RDBMS,  for 95% of  projects it is good enough. It is the
>> defacto standard server side dbms.  Squeak must learn how to play well
>> with MySql to be considered in the mix of open source solutions.
>>
>> I haven't as yet written Seaside out of the picture, and I personally
>> love using smalltalk, but also need to write applications with the
>> best available and feature rich components and just now Seaside is not
>> hitting the mark.
>>
>> --
>> Edward Stow

Re: Re: Ideas worth stealing

stephane ducasse
It would be good to have indeed the possibility for people like todd
to work with Squeak.

> Maybe is time to start thinking in a "Seaside full stack"?
>
> I think there are some tasks we (as a community) should do for
> enforce seaside adoption, that does not belong to seaside it self,
> but would be cool to have.
>
> I think we need to cover:
> - Persistence for the Seaside (maybe a "Coral" project?)
> I think this as an abstraction layer with you can choose between a
> magma solution and a glorp solution.
> - Integration for the Seaside ("FlyingFish", "Shipyard"?)
> an abstraction layer to publicate and consume web services (awful
> but necesary for productive applications) and maybe another and
> coolest integration ways, such as hessian.
> - And of course, a "Describe it all" ("Voyage"?)
> based on magritte, we should provide a way to do all of this in a
> clean and elegant way.
>
> What do you think?
>
> On 2008-06-02 03:45:50 -0300, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]
> > said:
>
>> So may be we should really do a call for a bounty:
>> if we all put a bit of money and ESUG is pushing then we should
>> be able to create something.
>> I imagine that ESUG could put around 2500 Euros to start.
>> Stef
>>> I find myself also needing these features.
>>> Currently I have a fledgling application that has a major google
>>> maps
>>> component and requires  features typical in a community based site:
>>> user administration, forums, messages, comments etc.  Plus a small
>>> amount of server side code to manage the maps.
>>> Unfortunately Pier does not contain the extensive feature set
>>> available in many OS forum projects.  Currently under
>>> consideration is
>>> Vanila http://getvanilla.com/
>>> My client would prefer to use MySql,  and as much as it may be
>>> derided
>>> as an RDBMS,  for 95% of  projects it is good enough. It is the
>>> defacto standard server side dbms.  Squeak must learn how to play
>>> well
>>> with MySql to be considered in the mix of open source solutions.
>>> I haven't as yet written Seaside out of the picture, and I
>>> personally
>>> love using smalltalk, but also need to write applications with the
>>> best available and feature rich components and just now Seaside is
>>> not
>>> hitting the mark.
>>> --
>>> Edward Stow

Re: Ideas worth stealing

Jimmie Houchin-3
stephane ducasse wrote:
> Lukas decided to package pier in a more user friendly way.
> So we will really start using it.

I am not sure I understand the first sentence.

Has this packaging already been done?
If so which version? 2.8, 2.9, ...?

If not any idea when?

Thanks.

Jimmie

Re: Ideas worth stealing

stephane ducasse
Sorry I was using package in the marketing sense.
To market it better (= easier for beginners to use).

Stef

On Jun 3, 2008, at 12:27 AM, Jimmie Houchin wrote:

> stephane ducasse wrote:
>> Lukas decided to package pier in a more user friendly way.
>> So we will really start using it.
>
> I am not sure I understand the first sentence.
>
> Has this packaging already been done?
> If so which version? 2.8, 2.9, ...?
>
> If not any idea when?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jimmie

Re: Ideas worth stealing

Philippe Marschall
On which part would you like to work? On the core Seaside or something
around Seaside like the stuff suggested in this thread?

Cheers
Philippe

2008/6/3 Conrad Taylor <[hidden email]>:

> Hi, it's very good to hear some of the comments in regards to Seaside.
>  Thus, where can I find a list of Seaside todos?  Is there a Seaside
> road-map?  I would like to contribute to the success of Seaside but I don't
> know the high-level development details of the project.  I just don't want
> to build something that's not needed or someone is working on a component
> with similar functionality.  Thus, it's not clear on how to proceed  at this
> point in time.
> -Conrad
>
> On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 9:02 PM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Sorry I was using package in the marketing sense.
>> To market it better (= easier for beginners to use).
>>
>> Stef

>>> I am not sure I understand the first sentence.
>>>
>>> Has this packaging already been done?
>>> If so which version? 2.8, 2.9, ...?
>>>
>>> If not any idea when?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Jimmie

Re: Ideas worth stealing

Conrad Taylor
Hi Philippe, I would be interested in doing work in both areas.

-Conrad

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 12:31 AM, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:
On which part would you like to work? On the core Seaside or something
around Seaside like the stuff suggested in this thread?

Cheers
Philippe

2008/6/3 Conrad Taylor <[hidden email]>:
> Hi, it's very good to hear some of the comments in regards to Seaside.
>  Thus, where can I find a list of Seaside todos?  Is there a Seaside
> road-map?  I would like to contribute to the success of Seaside but I don't
> know the high-level development details of the project.  I just don't want
> to build something that's not needed or someone is working on a component
> with similar functionality.  Thus, it's not clear on how to proceed  at this
> point in time.
> -Conrad
>
> On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 9:02 PM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Sorry I was using package in the marketing sense.
>> To market it better (= easier for beginners to use).
>>
>> Stef

>>> I am not sure I understand the first sentence.
>>>
>>> Has this packaging already been done?
>>> If so which version? 2.8, 2.9, ...?
>>>
>>> If not any idea when?
>>>
>>> Thanks.