[Idiom] 'myfile.txt' asFileName readStream contents

[Idiom] 'myfile.txt' asFileName readStream contents

Hannes Hirzel
Hello

Randal Schwartz writes in his blog
http://methodsandmessages.posterous.com/writestreams-of-consciousness-going-to-xtream
about streams citing Derek Williams   http://derekwilliams.us/?p=1411

He gives the following as an example of elegant syntax of Smalltalk

    'myfile.txt' asFileName readStream contents

This does not work in Squeak nor in Pharo.

It produces a ReadStream on the contents of the _String_  'myfile.txt'.
i.e. the ByteString with 10 elements.

Comments?

Regards

Hannes

Hannes

Re: [Idiom] 'myfile.txt' asFileName readStream contents

Hannes Hirzel
Surely, but not what Randal implies in terms of streams I suppose....

The idiom implies that a file stream is created and that I get the
content of a file -- not the content of the file name.

--Hannes

On 10/30/10, Peter Hugosson-Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The result you got is what I would have expected too.

> Peter
>
> On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 12:50 PM, Hannes Hirzel
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> Randal Schwartz writes in his blog
>>
>> http://methodsandmessages.posterous.com/writestreams-of-consciousness-going-to-xtream
>> about streams citing Derek Williams   http://derekwilliams.us/?p=1411
>>
>> He gives the following as an example of elegant syntax of Smalltalk
>>
>>    'myfile.txt' asFileName readStream contents
>>
>> This does not work in Squeak nor in Pharo.
>>
>> It produces a ReadStream on the contents of the _String_  'myfile.txt'.
>> i.e. the ByteString with 10 elements.
>>
>> Comments?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Hannes

Re: [Idiom] 'myfile.txt' asFileName readStream contents

Peter Hugosson-Miller
Sure, but when you send #readStream to a String, then you'll always get a ReadStream on that String.

Perhaps there is a similarly-named method like #asReadFileStream that he meant to write instead (and that is just a guess, since I have no way of checking at the moment)

Peter

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 1:14 PM, Hannes Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Surely, but not what Randal implies in terms of streams I suppose....

The idiom implies that a file stream is created and that I get the
content of a file -- not the content of the file name.

--Hannes

On 10/30/10, Peter Hugosson-Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The result you got is what I would have expected too.

> Peter
>
> On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 12:50 PM, Hannes Hirzel
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> Randal Schwartz writes in his blog
>>
>> http://methodsandmessages.posterous.com/writestreams-of-consciousness-going-to-xtream
>> about streams citing Derek Williams   http://derekwilliams.us/?p=1411
>>
>> He gives the following as an example of elegant syntax of Smalltalk
>>
>>    'myfile.txt' asFileName readStream contents
>>
>> This does not work in Squeak nor in Pharo.
>>
>> It produces a ReadStream on the contents of the _String_  'myfile.txt'.
>> i.e. the ByteString with 10 elements.
>>
>> Comments?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Hannes

Re: [Idiom] 'myfile.txt' asFileName readStream contents

NorbertHartl

On 30.10.2010, at 13:14, Hannes Hirzel wrote:

> Surely, but not what Randal implies in terms of streams I suppose....
>
> The idiom implies that a file stream is created and that I get the
> content of a file -- not the content of the file name.

I read it different. You get an readStream on a filename which is a String. I would expect it to be

'myFile.txt' asFile readStream contents

or

'myFile.txt' asFileName file readStream contents (but than someone will bring up Demeter)

Norbert

On 10/30/10, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 30.10.2010, at 13:14, Hannes Hirzel wrote:
>
>> Surely, but not what Randal implies in terms of streams I suppose....
>>
>> The idiom implies that a file stream is created and that I get the
>> content of a file -- not the content of the file name.
>>
> I read it different. You get an readStream on a filename which is a String.
> I would expect it to be
>
> 'myFile.txt' asFile readStream contents

Yes something like this; but asFile is neither in Squeak nor in Pharo.

So what we currently have (in both Squeak and Pharo) is

(FileStream fileNamed: 'myfile.txt') contents

to express this. Not as elegant but it works.