Ignore Makefile.frag

Gwenaël Casaccio
Hi,

This patch removes Makefile.frag and add a rule to ignore them in .gitignore

Cheers,
Gwen

0001-Remove-Makefile.frag.patch (64K) Download Attachment

Re: Ignore Makefile.frag

Holger Freyther
On Tue, Jul 02, 2013 at 11:48:46AM +0200, Gwenaël Casaccio wrote:
> Hi,

Dear Gwenaël,

> This patch removes Makefile.frag and add a rule to ignore them in .gitignore

I would greatly appreciate if your commit messages could include
some sentences including answers to 'why?'. This is because in
a couple of years I will be able to figure out what was done but
I might not be able to fully understand why and what has been
fixed.

There are two issues with the change:

  * make dist/make distcheck is failing because for lightning
    Makefile.frag is inside the EXTRA_DIST
  * The generated Makefile.frag now have no files (e.g. broken
    dependency tracking). The issue is we need to have a GST_PACKAGE
    before we can build these files and this depedency does not
    appear to be in the rule that creates the Makefile.frag.

please update your patch
        holger

Re: Ignore Makefile.frag

Holger Freyther
On Tue, Jul 09, 2013 at 09:30:39AM +0200, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 02, 2013 at 11:48:46AM +0200, Gwenaël Casaccio wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> Dear Gwenaël,
>
> > This patch removes Makefile.frag and add a rule to ignore them in .gitignore

Dear Gwenaël,

on travis-ci during the make distcheck I start to notice output
like this:

"
../packages/stinst/parser/Makefile.frag
/bin/bash: line 6: ../packages/stinst/parser/Makefile.frag: Permission denied
"

the sourcedirectory is made read-only so we can not create files there,
I think we should either:

* Create the Makefile.frag as part of make dist
* Create and include the files from the build directory?!

any comments?

kind regards
        holger

Re: Ignore Makefile.frag

Gwenaël Casaccio
On 16/08/2013 18:31, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 09, 2013 at 09:30:39AM +0200, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 02, 2013 at 11:48:46AM +0200, Gwenaël Casaccio wrote:
>>> Hi,
>> Dear Gwenaël,
>>
>>> This patch removes Makefile.frag and add a rule to ignore them in .gitignore
> Dear Gwenaël,
>
> on travis-ci during the make distcheck I start to notice output
> like this:
>
> "
> ../packages/stinst/parser/Makefile.frag
> /bin/bash: line 6: ../packages/stinst/parser/Makefile.frag: Permission denied
> "
>
> the sourcedirectory is made read-only so we can not create files there,
> I think we should either:
>
> * Create the Makefile.frag as part of make dist
> * Create and include the files from the build directory?!
>

> any comments?
>
> kind regards
> holger

Thanks for warning me I though I've fixed those errors. You've right and
I'll look the problem

Gwen

Re: Ignore Makefile.frag

Paolo Bonzini-2
Il 16/08/2013 18:31, Holger Hans Peter Freyther ha scritto:
> the sourcedirectory is made read-only so we can not create files there,
> I think we should either:
>
> * Create the Makefile.frag as part of make dist

That would work.

Paolo

Re: Ignore Makefile.frag

Holger Freyther
On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 03:52:15PM +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> That would work.

but that is not enough if we have Makefile.frag depend on gst-tool.
I think you have more experience with Makefiles. Can you think of
a way to resolve it? E.g. create the Makefile.frag in the build
directory?

holger