Iliad, a new lightweight web framework

Janko Mivšek
Dear all,

You probably already heard what was the Nico's secret project (well,
part of :) last few months:
-----
Iliad, a new lightweight web framework for GNU Smalltalk
http://smalltalk.gnu.org/blog/nico/iliad-new-lightweight-web-framework-gnu-smalltalk

For our personal needs, we wanted to have the following features in the
framework:

    * standalone stateful widgets
    * REST-like applications
    * simple API
    * easy to setup and deploy (no complicated configuration step)

In order to avoid to reinvent the wheel, we started it by reusing pieces
of code from other libraries. In particular, we adapted the dispatch
pattern from HttpView2, the composite element hierarachy for building
HTML from Aida/Web, and the stateful Widgets from Seaside, however
without using continuations. A bit of glue code was needed to make this
work together, but we quickly ended up with something that actually worked.
------
I spend some time looking at Iliad code and I can say there are quite
some new fresh ideas worth to look at for us too, so I invite all to
look at Iliad and let we then discuss how can Aida adopt some of Nico's
ideas as well.

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: Iliad, a new lightweight web framework

Edgar J. De Cleene

On 6/24/09 7:24 PM, "Janko Mivšek" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Iliad, a new lightweight web framework for GNU
> Smalltalk
http://smalltalk.gnu.org/blog/nico/iliad-new-lightweight-web-framewo
> rk-gnu-smalltalk

Being unfair I beg a Squeak port.
Good job, Nico

Edgar

Re: Iliad, a new lightweight web framework

Nicolas Petton
Le jeudi 25 juin 2009 à 00:24 +0200, Janko Mivšek a écrit :

> Dear all,
>
> You probably already heard what was the Nico's secret project (well,
> part of :) last few months:
> -----
> Iliad, a new lightweight web framework for GNU Smalltalk
> http://smalltalk.gnu.org/blog/nico/iliad-new-lightweight-web-framework-gnu-smalltalk
>
> For our personal needs, we wanted to have the following features in the
> framework:
>
>     * standalone stateful widgets
>     * REST-like applications
>     * simple API
>     * easy to setup and deploy (no complicated configuration step)
>
> In order to avoid to reinvent the wheel, we started it by reusing pieces
> of code from other libraries. In particular, we adapted the dispatch
> pattern from HttpView2, the composite element hierarachy for building
> HTML from Aida/Web, and the stateful Widgets from Seaside, however
> without using continuations. A bit of glue code was needed to make this
> work together, but we quickly ended up with something that actually worked.
> ------
> I spend some time looking at Iliad code and I can say there are quite
> some new fresh ideas worth to look at for us too, so I invite all to
> look at Iliad and let we then discuss how can Aida adopt some of Nico's
> ideas as well.
Thank you very much Janko!

Actually, Iliad takes ideas from Aida too ;)
This list may not be appropriate to talk about Iliad, but if someone has
questions about it, I'll be happy to answer.

Cheers!

Nico

Le jeudi 25 juin 2009 à 06:45 -0300, Edgar J. De Cleene a écrit :

> On 6/24/09 7:24 PM, "Janko Mivšek" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Iliad, a new lightweight web framework for GNU
> > Smalltalk
> http://smalltalk.gnu.org/blog/nico/iliad-new-lightweight-web-framewo
> > rk-gnu-smalltalk
>

> Being unfair I beg a Squeak port.
Please wait a bit, we are working on it :)

> Good job, Nico

Thanks!

Nico