Image Packacking, The nightmare continues

Image Packacking, The nightmare continues

Dusty-2
Hi All

Creating a runtime image in VAST is a nightmare, and I've seen even the likes of Joachim post about the difficulty he has had with it.
(Ref: https://joachimtuchel.wordpress.com/2012/03/12/a-few-blindingly-obvious-rules-for-packaging-seaside-and-glorp-in-va-smalltalk/)

I have a simple application with one class, which has a class side initialize and a instance size method, one method.
This is a simple SeasideREST application to test something, but getting it to package? Nope, not working.
I've set up a subclass of EsWindowSystemStartUp (called SeasideRestTestStartup). I've set up in there (startApplication) a manager, an adaptor, registered adaptor with manager, started adapter on port 8080 and registered my simpleSeasideRestApp (WAAdmin register: bla bla).
I've included all of Seaside and SeasideVAST, as well as Grease in my image.
In my reduction rules I've set it to not reduce anything, seriously, by now I've gone through and added a do not reduce rule to EVERYTHING.
I've selected my Image Startup Class and such and things. No Fatal Errors, finally outputs.
Then I try run it and nothing... I can see it in task manager, but thats it, can't connect to it, it hasn't outputted a walkback, I added additional code to create info into a walkback at each step of startup and nothing, it does absolutely nothing.
I have all the correct runtime files, even some I don't need. Basically everything from the documentation that would or might be required.
I've fiddled and fiddled and fiddled and cannot figure out how on earth one is supposed to package up their application.
I've attached my packaging instructions for reference.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Dusty

SeasideRESTTestPackagingInstructions.st (43K) Download Attachment

Re: Image Packacking, The nightmare continues

Dusty-2
After doing this again and again and again, it magically worked one time.
Basically, include Grease and do not reduce.
Include only basic Seaside (and their VAST counterparts) and do not reduce.
YMMV
(By the way, this was in aid of finding the bug that causes a general protection fault in a packaged RESTful application)
Instantiations, you have a bug report incomming ;)

(Ref: <a href="https://joachimtuchel.wordpress.com/2012/03/12/a-few-blindingly-obvious-rules-for-packaging-seaside-and-glorp-in-va-smalltalk/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\75https%3A%2F%2Fjoachimtuchel.wordpress.com%2F2012%2F03%2F12%2Fa-few-blindingly-obvious-rules-for-packaging-seaside-and-glorp-in-va-smalltalk%2F\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNE5z4iyQS31LktCUIC0R9un6EFs_Q&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\75https%3A%2F%2Fjoachimtuchel.wordpress.com%2F2012%2F03%2F12%2Fa-few-blindingly-obvious-rules-for-packaging-seaside-and-glorp-in-va-smalltalk%2F\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNE5z4iyQS31LktCUIC0R9un6EFs_Q&#39;;return true;">https://joachimtuchel.wordpress.com/2012/03/12/a-few-blindingly-obvious-rules-for-packaging-seaside-and-glorp-in-va-smalltalk/)

[...]

jtuchel

Dusty,

this sounds strange. If a missing method is called, yoiu usually get a walkback. So I guess your problem is not so much related to missing code in the packaged image, but some phenomenon that occurs in your startup code.

Or, what's very hard to find, you catch some exception and handle it in a way that suppresses any walkback or other loggint.

In both cases, the best thing you can possibly do is to add lots of logging or package and XD image with remote debugging support (I have no experiences with that).

BTW: quite a few of the things I wrote in the blog post you linked to is obsolete in the 8.6.x versions of VAST. At least the ones that were to blame on Instantiations ;-)

Hope you'll find the cause, because a procedure that "sometimes" yields a running image is not reliable and gives you nightmares... So I advice you to continue digging.

If you're on 8.6.1, please make sure you've got that 8.6.1 fixpack from Instantiations loaded also in your *passive* image. There has been some StackOverflow problem that lead to no walkbacks being written, IIRC.
Look in this forum for Marten's posts to learn more about it.

Joachim

(Ref: <a href="https://joachimtuchel.wordpress.com/2012/03/12/a-few-blindingly-obvious-rules-for-packaging-seaside-and-glorp-in-va-smalltalk/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\75https%3A%2F%2Fjoachimtuchel.wordpress.com%2F2012%2F03%2F12%2Fa-few-blindingly-obvious-rules-for-packaging-seaside-and-glorp-in-va-smalltalk%2F\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNE5z4iyQS31LktCUIC0R9un6EFs_Q&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\75https%3A%2F%2Fjoachimtuchel.wordpress.com%2F2012%2F03%2F12%2Fa-few-blindingly-obvious-rules-for-packaging-seaside-and-glorp-in-va-smalltalk%2F\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNE5z4iyQS31LktCUIC0R9un6EFs_Q&#39;;return true;">https://joachimtuchel.wordpress.com/2012/03/12/a-few-blindingly-obvious-rules-for-packaging-seaside-and-glorp-in-va-smalltalk/)