Image confusion

Jonathan Kelly
Hi,

newbie Smalltalker here. Have been playing with Pharo for a couple of
weeks - loving it and hating it at the same time! :)

So I',m on WinXP and have Pharo in "C:\Pharo 1.2.1 Release". I had
thought I'd worked out worked out dragging an image file onto the exe
loaded it that image (it seems to work in the main directory with
Pharo.exe ... and assumed that would work with cog vm too. So I copied
an image into the cog directory "C:\Pharo 1.2.1 Release\cogvm" and
dragged it onto PharoCog.exe and have been happily working away.

Now I realise looking at modification dates that the image it is
actually using is "C:\Pharo 1.2.1 Release\pharo.image" - and confirmed
that by actually noticing the window header which says "PharoCog!
(C:\Pharo 1.2.1 Relase\pharo.image)"

I've filed out my stuff and am going to start again. So, which VM should
I be using, and if its cog .. how should I manage images.

Thanks
Jonathan.

Re: Image confusion

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi jonathan

Sorry for the frustration part. I'm on mac and somebody on windows will certainly help you.
Now I suggest you to use Monticello to save on SqueakSource (keep the local version on your package-cache folder because
SqueakSource is recently leaking some packages - we are working on the next generation).

Now do not hesitate to ask us what gets you frustrated. We want to make the system better and need feedback.
Stef

On Jul 28, 2011, at 10:47 PM, Jonathan Kelly wrote:

> Hi,
>
> newbie Smalltalker here. Have been playing with Pharo for a couple of weeks - loving it and hating it at the same time! :)
>
> So I',m on WinXP and have Pharo in "C:\Pharo 1.2.1 Release". I had thought I'd worked out worked out dragging an image file onto the exe loaded it that image (it seems to work in the main directory with Pharo.exe ... and assumed that would work with cog vm too. So I copied an image into the cog directory "C:\Pharo 1.2.1 Release\cogvm" and dragged it onto PharoCog.exe and have been happily working away.
>
> Now I realise looking at modification dates that the image it is actually using is "C:\Pharo 1.2.1 Release\pharo.image" - and confirmed that by actually noticing the window header which says "PharoCog! (C:\Pharo 1.2.1 Relase\pharo.image)"
>
> I've filed out my stuff and am going to start again. So, which VM should I be using, and if its cog .. how should I manage images.
>
> Thanks
> Jonathan.

Re: Image confusion

laurent laffont
On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 10:47 PM, Jonathan Kelly <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

If I remember correctly you have to change an existing Squeak.ini file and remove a line pointing to a specific image.

Laurent.

Thanks
Jonathan.

Re: Image confusion

Sven Van Caekenberghe
Hello Jonathan,

Welcome!

On 28 Jul 2011, at 22:47, Jonathan Kelly wrote:

> So I',m on WinXP and have Pharo in "C:\Pharo 1.2.1 Release". I had thought I'd worked out worked out dragging an image file onto the exe loaded it that image (it seems to work in the main directory with Pharo.exe ... and assumed that would work with cog vm too. So I copied an image into the cog directory "C:\Pharo 1.2.1 Release\cogvm" and dragged it onto PharoCog.exe and have been happily working away.

I am on Mac, but I guess you can go the other way around on Windows as well:

You can start by double-clicking a VM and then use the file dialog to select an image to open.

Sven

Re: Image confusion

Igor Stasenko
On 29 July 2011 00:24, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Jonathan,
>
> Welcome!
>
> On 28 Jul 2011, at 22:47, Jonathan Kelly wrote:
>
>> So I',m on WinXP and have Pharo in "C:\Pharo 1.2.1 Release". I had thought I'd worked out worked out dragging an image file onto the exe loaded it that image (it seems to work in the main directory with Pharo.exe ... and assumed that would work with cog vm too. So I copied an image into the cog directory "C:\Pharo 1.2.1 Release\cogvm" and dragged it onto PharoCog.exe and have been happily working away.
>
> I am on Mac, but I guess you can go the other way around on Windows as well:
>
> You can start by double-clicking a VM and then use the file dialog to select an image to open.

yes. and if it does not asks for image when you doing that, then get
rid of .ini file in vm folder which pointing to fixed image and
refuses to open others or gives you a choice which one to load, when
you run vm with no parameters.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.