Image crashed, how can I restore the Playground?

Image crashed, how can I restore the Playground?

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Hi!

My Pharo8 image crashed, where can I found the code of my playground? It is
not in Epicea.

TIA
Davide

Re: Image crashed, how can I restore the Playground?

Stéphane Ducasse
checked in the folders close to your image.
There is a play-cache folder
S.

From: Davide Varvello <[hidden email]>
Subject: Image crashed, how can I restore the Playground?
Date: 26 August 2020 at 17:52:57 CEST

Hi!

My Pharo8 image crashed, where can I found the code of my playground? It is
not in Epicea.

TIA
Davide

03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Aurore Dalle
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

Re: Image crashed, how can I restore the Playground?

hogoww

Also on the upper right corner of the playground, you can get old playground (maybe on command+s? not sure).
Not every one of them will be here, and you may have to use Stephane's answer.

Pierre.

France

Re: Image crashed, how can I restore the Playground?

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Thanks Stéph,
I guess the right directory is {imageDirectory}/pharo-local/play-cache/
there are some .ph files representing several playgrounds.

One further question: it seems to me there isn't a history of the
playground, right? So if I make multiple changes to a single playground,
they are lost.

Cheers
Davide

Stéphane Ducasse wrote
> checked in the folders close to your image.
> There is a play-cache folder
> S.
>
>> On 26 Aug 2020, at 17:52, Davide Varvello &lt;

> varvello@

> &gt; wrote:
>>

>> From: Davide Varvello &lt;

> varvello@

> &gt;
>> Subject: Image crashed, how can I restore the Playground?
>> Date: 26 August 2020 at 17:52:57 CEST

> pharo-users@.pharo

>> Hi!
>>
>> My Pharo8 image crashed, where can I found the code of my playground? It
>> is
>> not in Epicea.
>>
>> TIA
>> Davide
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html

> Stéphane Ducasse
> http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr / http://www.pharo.org
> 03 59 35 87 52
> Assistant: Aurore Dalle
> FAX 03 59 57 78 50
> TEL 03 59 35 86 16
> S. Ducasse - Inria
> 40, avenue Halley,
> Parc Scientifique de la Haute Borne, Bât.A, Park Plaza
> Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
> France

Re: Image crashed, how can I restore the Playground?

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Thanks Pierre

hogoww wrote

> Also on the upper right corner of the playground, you can get old
> playground (maybe on command+s? not sure).
> Not every one of them will be here, and you may have to use Stephane's
> answer.
>
> Pierre.
>
> On 26/08/2020 17:56, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>> checked in the folders close to your image.
>> There is a play-cache folder
>> S.
>>
>>> On 26 Aug 2020, at 17:52, Davide Varvello &lt;

> varvello@

> &gt;> &lt;mailto:

> varvello@

> &gt;> wrote:
>>>

>>> *From: *Davide Varvello &lt;

> varvello@

>  &lt;mailto:

> varvello@

> &gt;>
>>> *Subject: **Image crashed, how can I restore the Playground?*
>>> *Date: *26 August 2020 at 17:52:57 CEST
>>> *To: *

> pharo-users@.pharo

>  &lt;mailto:

> pharo-users@.pharo

> &gt;
>>>

>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> My Pharo8 image crashed, where can I found the code of my playground?
>>> It is
>>> not in Epicea.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>> Davide
>>>

>>> --
>>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html

>> Stéphane Ducasse
>> http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr / http://www.pharo.org
>> 03 59 35 87 52
>> Assistant: Aurore Dalle
>> FAX 03 59 57 78 50
>> TEL 03 59 35 86 16
>> S. Ducasse - Inria
>> 40, avenue Halley,
>> Parc Scientifique de la Haute Borne, Bât.A, Park Plaza
>> Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
>> France

Re: Image crashed, how can I restore the Playground?

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2

Hi Davide,

You can use Grafoscopio[1] to store and structure your playgrounds as an interactive notebook.

[1] https://mutabit.com/grafoscopio/en.html

Your notebooks can combine prose and be exported to other formats (Markdown, HTML and PDF). Also, you can use your preferred source control system to store the notebooks. For example, I use Grafoscopio notebooks and Fossil[2] repositories to make workshop interactive notes.

[2] https://fossil-scm.org/

I'm still debugging an annoying issue with keystroke capturing in playgrounds. But Grafoscopio notebooks has been a good bridge between coding and scripting for our local community and a great help in workshops.

Hope that helps,

Offray

On 26/08/20 2:33 p. m., Davide Varvello via Pharo-users wrote:
Thanks Stéph,
I guess the right directory is {imageDirectory}/pharo-local/play-cache/
there are some .ph files representing several playgrounds.

One further question: it seems to me there isn't a history of the
playground, right? So if I make multiple changes to a single playground,
they are lost.

Cheers
Davide

Re: Image crashed, how can I restore the Playground?

Esteban A. Maringolo
Hi Offray,

Never thought of Graffoscopio as a replacement for Playground, but it seems like a good way to extend the behavior with some missing features (like explicit save, export, etc.).

Is there a way to install such "core" feature without pulling Roassal nor any of the "hardcore" parts of Graffoscopio itself?

Thanks!

Esteban A. Maringolo

Cheers
Davide

Re: Image crashed, how can I restore the Playground?

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2

Hi Esteban,

The "hardcore" part of Grafoscopio is the "structured and emergent interactive writing via prose/code outlining", so no need to pull Roassal or any of the Dataviz package parts. In fact, after migration to Pharo 8.x Grafoscopio repository and code[1] is becoming more modular and the Dataviz package should be mark as outdated (only to work with Pharo 6.x and 7.x series) and at some point migrated to Roassal 3.

You can install Grafoscopio core, following instructions at [2]. Keep in mind:

  a. The annoying bug about playgrounds being stored until penultimate keystroke discussed recently (I usually deal with that adding a whitespace).
  b. We need to improve UI/UX to support outlining improved navigation and storing (for example storing expanded/collapsed nodes status and last selection and keyboard shortcuts).
  c. Pull request are welcomed ;-). See [1].
  d. We have a warm community[3], with a "local first" approach, that speaks Spanglish and where more experienced Smalltalkers/Pharoers are also welcomed.

Links:

[1] https://code.tupale.co/Offray/Grafoscopio
[2] https://mutabit.com/repos.fossil/grafoscopio/doc/tip/readme.md.html
[3] https://mutabit.com/grafoscopio/#contacto

Let me know how it went for you and see you on cyberspace.

Offray

Cheers
Davide

Re: Image crashed, how can I restore the Playground?

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Thanks Offray,
I'll give a glance to Grafoscopio
Cheers